Saddles on dragons?

What mention is there in the books of a dragon being ridden specifically with a saddle or specifically bareback? I read in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (= Ktot7K ?  Not7K ?)  that in the Dance of the Dragons, one rider fell to her death because she had fastened herself to her saddle but had not fastened her saddle to her dragon. (The matter of dragon saddles is raised in Eragon.)

Saddling a dragon will prove more expensive because adult horses stay the same size but dragons (unless their  food intake is closely controlled) keep on growing.

3 hours ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

What mention is there in the books of a dragon being ridden specifically with a saddle or specifically bareback? I read in A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (= Ktot7K ?  Not7K ?)  that in the Dance of the Dragons, one rider fell to her death because she had fastened herself to her saddle but had not fastened her saddle to her dragon. (The matter of dragon saddles is raised in Eragon.)

Saddling a dragon will prove more expensive because adult horses stay the same size but dragons (unless their  food intake is closely controlled) keep on growing.

In F&B in the battle over the God's Eye it was noted that Daemon Targaryen did not chain himself to his dragon's Ceraxes saddle and was therefore able to jump from his dragon onto Aemond Targaryen who had secured himself into the saddle on his dragon Vhager.  This allowed Daemon to thrust his sword Dark Sister into Aemonds blind eye socket and kill him.

My issue with dragon saddles is how handlers would be able to place them on the dragons if they were not the dragon's rider. Would be a very risky profession.  

On 5/27/2021 at 5:46 PM, DisneyDoc2425 said:

...My issue with dragon saddles is how handlers would be able to place them on the dragons if they were not the dragon's rider. Would be a very risky profession.  

And how do the Dragonpit's staff handle dragons?, to get among them to feed them, and to sweep up their droppings, and to bring a dragon back to its stable if its rider lands it and dismounts away from its stable, and such jobs familiar to the staff at a large horse stable.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, DisneyDoc2425 said:

My issue with dragon saddles is how handlers would be able to place them on the dragons if they were not the dragon's rider. Would be a very risky profession.  

I would guess it's actually very similar to Daenerys' "a dragon is no slave" comment — a dragon raised with a saddle on isn't going to notice that it's got it on. If you saddle or collar or chain a dragon when it's young and continue to change it as the dragon grows, it's used to it and thinks it's normal.

Dragons seem very similar to cats in Daenerys' POV, and I've observed cats are the same way. A kitten will accept a collar easier than a never-collared, older cat.

Archived