Covid- Thank you, Next! Get out of our lives.

DireWolfSpirit

21 minutes ago, Padraig said:

The what?  I imagine the Medicago vaccine will be fine but what's so attractive about it that would make you wait 3 or 4 months?  If not more.  More "natural"?

Silly, isn’t it?  But all we have now are the 2 mRNA vaccines. No more AZ is being given as a first dose and J&J is on hold because it came from the Emergent plant and hasn’t cleared safety tests yet, and also causes blood clots. So if you don’t want an mRNA vaccine you have to wait.

In my part of Austria children aged 12-15 can register for an appointment now(Pfizer). Will take some time because getting an appointment before July is not really possible right now unless you manage to book an appointment someone canceled but at least done kids should get the shot before school starts in September. 

Kids with risk factors might get their shots earlier although that depends on their doctor and how many doses that doctor gets.

An awesome person the posts on the Austrian subreddit made a website that shows all appointments in the state. If you check on a regular basis you can get a date pretty quickly as people cancel all the time. A guy I know got an appointment(J&J) yesterday that way. Edit: you have the be willing to drive a bit for those appointments. By Austrian standards obviously. 

Canada is about to announce that it’s okay for people who received the AZ vaccine for their first dose to receive the Moderna or the Pfizer vaccine for their second dose. Manitoba has gone ahead and announced it today.

The decision is based on the results from a 600 person study done in Spain. We were actually waiting for a bigger study being done in the UK, but Health Canada decided, after seeing the Spanish study, not to wait for the UK report.

I gather some EU nations already made the same decision.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Canada is about to announce that it’s okay for people who received the AZ vaccine for their first dose to receive the Moderna or the Pfizer vaccine for their second dose. Manitoba has gone ahead and announced it today.

The decision is based on the results from a 600 person study done in Spain. We were actually waiting for a bigger study being done in the UK, but Health Canada decided, after seeing the Spanish study, not to wait for the UK report.

How very interesting, so basically were talking about using the vaccine in combinations.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

When we started with AZ (before the side effects were known) we vaccinated a lot of younger women (health care workers, primary school teacher and child nursery carers). The estimated number of people under 60 who received AZ at the beginning  is 2 mio. All of them are recommended to take Biontech or Moderna for second dose. But for the over 60 year old the recommedation still stands to continue with AZ. the efficacy is high in this age group (see UK studies) and no new dangers resurfaced that I know of?

10 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The people I know that refuse to vaccinate are all work colleagues. Thankfully all of our immediate family members vaccinated as soon as it was available to them.

For the ones not getting the shot(s), i'll just say it, I resent the hell out of them. They are not worth my words. And as I said earlier they will likely pay a price and if they do they will get no empathy here. Part of there rationale we have to remember is that they are refusing to lift a finger to protect others, there calculation is not just about them. They are also saying screw the community at large.

You almost need to view such mindset as your adversary, to my way of thinking.

Totally agree. They're piggybacking off people who have got the shot, in a sense - taking advantage of the ease in restrictions etc. while not bothering to take the steps needed to protect themselves and others. And the fact that in the US they're being offered financial incentives to do so? How fucking unfair!

I’ve been exposed to quite a few of these anti vax types, and I’ve seen the marches in London that happen quite regularly. Their position is so utterly confused, they don’t believe in vaccination, but also don’t believe in restrictions, don’t believe in the virus, don’t believe in the deaths.. but they do believe in the Great Reset, Bill Gates injecting us with 5G chips and a deep conspiracy to control us. If you ever wanted to a case study in how the internet addles people’s brains you’ll want to study this event for years to come. 

As I’m reading this Dr. Scott Gottlieb is on CNBC talking about the fact a new bird flu has now shown up in China, H10N3. They have had their first patient, a man, who has recovered. This is not the bird flu that has been reported as spreading through domestic flocks, which is H5 something.

The WHO has once again changed the naming system for major variants, in an attempt to get country names out of use, to Greek letters. The B-numbers have been too confusing. What was called the India variant is now the Delta variant.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

As I’m reading this Dr. Scott Gottlieb is on CNBC talking about the fact a new bird flu has now shown up in China, H10N3. They have had their first patient, a man, who has recovered. This is not the bird flu that has been reported as spreading through domestic flocks, which is H5 something.

The WHO has once again changed the naming system for major variants, in an attempt to get country names out of use, to Greek letters. The B-numbers have been too confusing. What was called the India variant is now the Delta variant.

Yes, and perhaps also to reduce the stigma around countries being linked to variants? As with many things, we can thank Trump for this: China virus bs. 

35 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I do not know if this is really necessary. We here have called the new "alpha" variant "English" variant or "British" variant all the time, but I did not see any mobs descending on poor British shopkeepers. And this is how it should be: a virus and a variant of a virus come from somewhere. To name the place it came from does not (should never) lead to prejudice of the people who live there. It does not make sense that naming the variant should lead to prejudice and somehow I feel like the WHO is validating this (totally brainless) relation between place and people by forcing a renaming (like there is someting to hide when there is nothing to hide)

1 minute ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

every time I referred to the British variant when speaking with my Scottish in-laws, they were very quick to correct me that it's English (and preferably Kent), not British :p

In India they sometimes call the "Indian" variant the Singapore variant. 

It’s the tone that was set, I believe. Nobody says Spanish Flu in a sing song voice, complete with snarls, stabbing finger motions like the 45. He also did the same with journaliststs, black women, or anyone who refused to date him. He was soft on KKK. The weak minded picked up on that...and the violent suggestions.  Then of course he would give contradictory messages in the same speech, to confuse people, and admired notorious brutal tyrants.

Why would someone just wait for Medicago? A vegetarian who is not scientifically strong has been in denial and taking risky jobs just to make ends meet. 

Just now, HoodedCrow said:

Also, I’ve heard the Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain, but it’s called that now.

Spain was the country where the press first reported about it. But that was because everybody else was at war and suppressed the news.

51 minutes ago, Leap said:

The steep rise in anti-Asian violence in many areas belies this, imo. Language matters. It doesn't make sense that naming a virus after a geography should lead to prejudice against people associated with that geography, unless of course you consider human history at all, since we do that all the time.

I don't think your point regarding the English variant being descried so in Germany (?) is a fair analogy either, since by and large England is far more ethnically close to Germany than India or China. The point is that what seems to be plain rhetoric can and does inflame existing racial tensions, which of course are not particularly well-reasoned anyway. So I support the switch to the Greek alphabet. I think it's irrational to view this as hiding something since the information is still public and included in the same news articles, there is just a layer of abstraction that means you aren't reading explosive headlines that stir up emotional responses.

We (in Germany) called the alpha, beta ,gamma and delta variant: British, South African, Brasilian and Indian until now (so from four different continents). so if this is done everywhere why is it that there is  only Anti-Asian violence ( and not here in Europe as far as I know).  I think because naming the region is not  (was never) the problem,  it must be something else (e.g. Trump). Having four variants from four continents can even be educative, - even a quite braindead person can see that there is no pattern to blame here.

20 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

Why would someone just wait for Medicago? A vegetarian who is not scientifically strong has been in denial and taking risky jobs just to make ends meet. 

Ok.  It is the "vegetarian" aspect.  I didn't know that was a thing.  Interesting. :) As Fragile Bird suggested, one may not trust the new mRNA option also.  Although this plant approach is quite novel also (I imagine). 

6 hours ago, JoannaL said:

All of them are recommended to take Biontech or Moderna for second dose. But for the over 60 year old the recommedation still stands to continue with AZ. the efficacy is high in this age group (see UK studies) and no new dangers resurfaced that I know of?

I believe that is the direction Ireland is going in also.  But not 100% confirmed that they are mixing.  The Over 50s will get AZ again anyhow.   We were going to give J&J to the over 40s also but the delay with that delivery will probably mean that J&J will never get used here (in the main).

9 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

I think because naming the region is not  (was never) the problem,  it must be something else (e.g. Trump).

Trump did use the origin of the virus against China, even thought it was never officially called "Chinese".  But it has made people sensitive that labels regarding COVID can be used to attack certain nationalities.  It is true that some people don't need much of an excuse but if you are feeling the force of the attack, realising that the attacker is being irrational doesn't help you.

And I don't think the WHO can ignore their member states' complaints.  The Indian government has been very explicit that it didn't approve of the use of the term "Indian variant".   India is a huge vaccine maker (never mind COVID), so it is bound to have a certain amount of sway.

23 minutes ago, Padraig said:

And I don't think the WHO can ignore their member states' complaints.  The Indian government has been very explicit that it didn't approve of the use of the term "Indian variant".   India is a huge vaccine maker (never mind COVID), so it is bound to have a certain amount of sway.

Ah, I didn't know that. If India complained (for whatever reason?) then it would not be right to continue to name the variant such. I get that.

Archived