Covid- Thank you, Next! Get out of our lives.

DireWolfSpirit

39 minutes ago, Padraig said:

Ok.  It is the "vegetarian" aspect.  I didn't know that was a thing.  Interesting. :) As Fragile Bird suggested, one may not trust the new mRNA option also.  Although this plant approach is quite novel also (I imagine). 

I believe that is the direction Ireland is going in also.  But not 100% confirmed that they are mixing.  The Over 50s will get AZ again anyhow.   We were going to give J&J to the over 40s also but the delay with that delivery will probably mean that J&J will never get used here (in the main).

Ah, yes, when I said “silly, isn’t it” I had in mind the nonsense about mRNA vaccines, (microchips, harming pregnant women etc etc) and not a slur against vegetarians. I should have mentioned the plant-based idea. I think I read in the Medicago material that they are the first vaccine maker using a plant base instead of an insect base.

We basically have no supply of AZ here in Canada, so people have to get their second dose from another company. Our initial supply came from COVAX, and that source has pretty well dried up, and just mentioning COVAX brings out anger that we ever accepted the doses in the first place. The US has a huge supply that no one wants because it was made at Emergent. I think the 70 M doses that the US talks about donating are all AZ and J&J doses made at that plant, under a cloud. As I said weeks ago (months ago?), the US will never use a single dose of AZ. In any event, they must be ready to expire soon.

18 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The first recorded case was in the US, in Kansas if memory serves me correct.

That’s actually an interesting story worth looking up - soldiers being trained for WW 1 service got very, very sick. The doctors’ reports  are full of despair as they watch healthy young men die. And they get sent by train across the country to the east coast and then shipped to Europe.

As a counter, there are stories that workers came in from China (where else) sick with the flu. One account says a boxcar of Chinese workers (they were put in boxcars, as Chinese laborers they weren’t allowed in the carriages) travelled to wherever they were going and when the boxcar was opened most of the workers were dead. Whether or not those stories are true is hard to tell, but the deaths of the soldiers are well documented and horrible.

2 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Also, I’ve heard the Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain, but it’s called that now.

It seems to have originated in Kansas among farmers who raised pigs. A zoonotic leap from animals to people, which is so common between humans, swine and birds.

According to John M. Barry in his classic work, The Great Influenza.

3 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Also, I’ve heard the Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain, but it’s called that now.

As far as I know, the Spanish flu was called so, because the first reports about this new kind of flu were in Spanish newspapers. Spain had a relatively free press around this time (no censorship).

I was just scrolling through Facebook and the NYT has a story today about how Israel has lifted all restrictions, since they have 80% of the population fully vaccinated, and are down to about 20 new cases a day.

Funny thing, other world trackers show 63% of the population vaccinated with one shot and just under 60% fully vaccinated. Could the NYT possibly be ignoring a whole segment of the population? Is this fair or not?

51 minutes ago, Wylla Manderly said:

As far as I know, the Spanish flu was called so, because the first reports about this new kind of flu were in Spanish newspapers. Spain had a relatively free press around this time (no censorship).

Free press and no war. The censorship in other countries tried to bury it because they feared it would affect the morale. I read some of the German articles with my students that came out later when the pandemic was already in full swing and they still tried to play it down while excusing school closings as 'preventive measures' after almost all teachers and 15% of the students were already sick.

Btw, got my second shot today. I'm officially invincible now. *cough* *cough*

44 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Its their adult population (the 80% figure), not the full population. For the full population, even the NYT tracker gives the 57% number. Note that Israel is still debating vaccinating the younger cohort.

Other trackers show 63% of the adult population, not 80%. Do 12 to 16 year-olds make up 17% of the population, to account for the difference? Many of the comments to the story ask the same question about missing population.

eta: the story is vague, and just mentions there are strict limitations on entry for people “who are not Israeli citizens”. I think the 80% number is Israeli citizens only. Both in Canada and the US our vaccination numbers include non-citizens.

My friend gives the vegetarian reason, but she is not someone to go to for medical reasoning:) Or dietary consistency. I believe that she has said that tobacco is spiritually good. She is not unique in this belief. Is there a code for not snarky? Okay, she doesn’t want the shot at this time.

I had to cancel a much wanted medical appointment today, as my immune system is asserting itself. 

Ourworldindata shows 59% fully vaccinated, 63% partly vaccinated.

The NYT mentions that "2.6 million children under 16 are still not eligible, out of a total population of just over nine million".  That is almost 29%.  Or 71% over 16.

58% of 71% is 81%, which is the figure NYT uses.  So arguably 81% (of the adult population) is a lowball figure as it ignores partly vaccinated people.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.  Can they keep numbers really low with few restrictions?  The other question is regarding people entering the country.  How restrictive will that be?  That might be their main exposure.  But I suspect they'll be very cautious on that score.

Ah crap, I underestimated the vaccination reaction. Woke up today at 4am shivering, with a headache, chest pain and slight nausea. I... know that is perfectly normal, but I still somehow thought I could pull myself through the day. I guess I have to call in sick, but the phone of the school stubbornly isn't available. Shit...

38 minutes ago, Toth said:

Ah crap, I underestimated the vaccination reaction. Woke up today at 4am shivering, with a headache, chest pain and slight nausea. I... know that is perfectly normal, but I still somehow thought I could pull myself through the day. I guess I have to call in sick, but the phone of the school stubbornly isn't available. Shit...

Yah - I thought I had made it through without the reactions. It was about 14 hours in that I got hit with the headache and cold sweats. Congrats, though :)

There, I had the worst effects yesterday, with coughing, inflammation, body soreness, no fever, and more fatigue than usual. I took a couple more ibuprofen and eventually slept it off. So 10 hours of crud, 24 hours after vax, but now I do tell people immediately that I’ve been double vaxxed and they relax noticeably.

I’ve had surgery, cancer( 80 % survival rate because of surgery) and chemo. I would not choose to do that blend of chemo with all the lingering problems, with only a 5% theoretical advantage...and I was not told this by the oncologist...so uninformed consent. Demand your stats!  I was on a very dose dense combination, so chemo does not have to be this bad, but I’m alive. All chemo drugs are not alike and for that matter, neither are cancers.

I am patient, and feel well informed with the vaccine.  If I can do it, in rough shape, you can too!

40 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

There, I had the worst effects yesterday, with coughing, inflammation, body soreness, no fever, and more fatigue than usual. I took a couple more ibuprofen and eventually slept it off. So 10 hours of crud, 24 hours after vax, but now I do tell people immediately that I’ve been double vaxxed and they relax noticeably.

Oh... sure that ibuprofen had been clever? I read it diminishes the effect of the vaccination, which is why I'm trying to bear with the headache instead.

The recommendation is to not take the meds before the vaccine to see off the side effects before they happen, as this might result in a decrease in antibody response. Afterwards, you are allowed to take ibuprofen, acetaminophen or aspirin (of course, consult with your doctor is you have certain conditions that might prevent you from taking these meds 'normally')

No, I’m not sure about anything, Toth. If I were you, I’d accept a mild headache.
My immune response was too good:) For what it’s worth, the nice vaccinator dude said that I could. I didn’t take a lot...four in total, only as a reaction. I trust that after two doses, and a much stronger reaction than the first, my immune system has the map. In the post pandemic world, I will get the Shingles vaccine, or any useful looking flu vaccine because I’ve already had the one for pneumonia. I will wait until capacity and supply normalizes. 
I hope you are well:)

Tylenol is what we have been told to take for the reactions.  It's all so confusing, isn't it?  For the record that's what I took, that and sleep, to deal with the cold, body aches and profound fatigue that came with the second inoculation.  All in all, not too bad since I felt so disconnected from everything and was able to sleep for about 14 hours, and then was fine.

May you all recover quickly, with protection established!

Regarding dogs and COVID. Over the weekend I was told of the weirdest of the "side effects". The owner of blind dog claims that her pet doesn't recognize her anymore after the COVID vaccine.  To be fair, the dog is not only blind, it's also old and sick.

Archived