Covid- Thank you, Next! Get out of our lives.

DireWolfSpirit

I'm not sure is this credible but but the Kaiser Foundation suggests that one-third of unvaccinated people in the US would get vaccinated if the FDA fully approved it?  Really?  I doubt people in Ireland appreciate that the vaccines are only conditionally approved and not fully approved.  Is FDA approval an easy excuse?  Do they realise how close the Pfizer and Moderna are to getting full approval?  (They have both recently applied).

32% is a lot of people.

One potential avenue for further increasing vaccine uptake is full FDA approval of one of the vaccines currently authorized for emergency use, with about one-third (32%) of unvaccinated adults saying such approval would make them more likely to get vaccinated. In addition, one in five (21%) employed adults who have not gotten a vaccine say they would be more inclined to do so if their employer gave them paid time off to get vaccinated and recover from side effects. Certain financial incentives may also motivate small shares (between 10-15%) of the unvaccinated to get a vaccine. Such incentives, including free transportation from ride share companies, lead larger shares of Hispanic and Black adults as well as those with lower incomes to say they would get vaccinated, suggesting incentives could play a role in further decreasing racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in vaccination rates

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-may-2021/

In Europe, there is a reasonable argument about delaying removing restrictions because there will be a major increase in those vaccinated in the coming weeks.  In the US, I was thinking there wouldn't be much of an increase (except second doses).  But roll on full approval it seems...

According to a Kaiser Family Foundation survey, a third of unvaccinated Hispanic adults want a vaccine as soon as possible—twice the proportion of unvaccinated whites. But 52 percent of this eager group were worried that they might need to miss work because of the reputed side effects, and 43 percent feared that getting vaccinated could jeopardize their immigration status or their families’.

The most recent Gallup poll had about 1 in 4 Americans vaccine hesitant. Of those, the biggest chunks were Republicans (46% of them do not plan to get a vaccine, compared to 31% of 'independents' and 6% Democrats), those without a college degree (31% compared to to 12% w/ degree) and middle aged Americans (not ok, boomers!). I think you can extrapolate that right wing Christians would disproportionately be represented there, based on the above.

Now I havent seen numbers based on race recently, but I seem to vaguely recall that hesitancy among African Americans had dropped significantly, in no small part due to promotional efforts. I thought the biggest challenge was actually getting vaccines to those communities. I'll dig up numbers later if I have time.

Basically, the unstated implicit policy now is to let the new Delta variant spread throughout the country unchecked, and to hope that the vaccinations are sufficient to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed by cases, and that the death toll is not too bad. Personally, I think the we are screwed, and Mrs W and I are going to continue to stay more or less in lockdown mode despite having had both our jabs.

3 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Basically, the unstated implicit policy now is to let the new Delta variant spread throughout the country unchecked, and to hope that the vaccinations are sufficient to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed by cases, and that the death toll is not too bad. Personally, I think the we are screwed, and Mrs W and I are going to continue to stay more or less in lockdown mode despite having had both our jabs.

When are you planning on coming out then?

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

What is going on in the UK?

The Delta variant is spreading. It's known to be significantly more contagious than the original.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

How concerning is this?

For people who are fully vaccinated, not very. If you look at the age-divided figures on the same page, you will see that the elderly (who have mostly had both shots) are not subject to this trend. On the other hand, the people who are not yet fully vaccinated now have an additional incentive to do it quickly because this variant appears to need both doses for protection and that will take time.

Just now, A wilding said:

However one of us may be in the smallish percentage of people who need hospitalisation despite having been vaccinated. In which case our chances are much better if they are not being overwhelmed at the time.

You could also get hit by lightning so yeah good idea, stay indoors.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

Over 90% of the US population has regularly access to internet.

Yeah, by hanging out in McDonalds parking lots

5 hours ago, Fez said:

That doesn't necessarily mean home internet access, but it does mean some sort of access exists, be it through public libraries or something else. Of the remaining 10%, the vast majority have programs they are eligible to call, be it the state Medicaid program or some other service provider, who would be happy to assist them. 97% of the US population has a cell phone. Lack of information is not a valid excuse.

Lack of time to get valid information however is an excuse. Not everyone has kushy jobs that let them chat on message boards while listening to zoom meetings.

5 hours ago, Fez said:

It's also worth noting that you're defending a group of people that basically doesn't exist. The overwhelming polling shows that there's very few people left who want the vaccine but haven't been able to get it. The vast majority of people left have specifically stated they DON'T want the vaccine for one reason or another.

There's a big difference between 'doesn't exist' and 'is a small minority'. There are a whole lot of people that cannot get the vaccine because they cannot afford to take a day or two off work if they get symptoms as a result of it - much less multiple times for Pfizer or Moderna. Ignoring this means you're just going to get mad at people for being poor instead of solving the actual problem. 

5 hours ago, Fez said:

And as for people who have suffered in the past, the present is not the past (and I fully acknowledge we're still fucking over many communities on other health issues). There has has been a huge public effort to show these vaccines are safe and effective. Anyone denying that, regardless of other legitimate health grievances, is deliberately sticking their head in the sand.

Shockingly, that public effort hasn't worked super well so far, and it's on us, not them, to earn that trust. That's the part you're missing. 

5 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm sorry for what you're dealing with. And I too have sympathy for people who have been fucked over in the many myriad ways by the US government.

Citation needed

5 hours ago, Fez said:

However, by not getting vaccinated now they are making a choice, and that choice has consequences; namely, getting left behind as society re-opens.

They've already been left behind. That ain't nothing new. Fucking over the poor because they're poor is a time-honored tradition. 

5 hours ago, Fez said:

There absolutely should be continued education efforts by people they trust to get them vaccinated, but that doesn't mean everyone else should remain in stasis. That's my point.

Other than not having any sympathy for anyone who doesn't get vaccinated?

3 hours ago, Padraig said:

According to a Kaiser Family Foundation survey, a third of unvaccinated Hispanic adults want a vaccine as soon as possible—twice the proportion of unvaccinated whites. But 52 percent of this eager group were worried that they might need to miss work because of the reputed side effects, and 43 percent feared that getting vaccinated could jeopardize their immigration status or their families’.

Which means the Biden administration has failed in outreach to the variety of hispanic-latino communities. HUGE fail. Which does not surprise as it seems they, like all politicians, with the exception of and despite her presence in D.C., seem not to know there are other communities -- who have far more voters -- than the south Florida Bastista Cuban loyalists, who, are, you know, against commies.  The only two Cuban names anybody knows, Batista and Fidel, and both have been dead for a very long time!.  

Just now, Heartofice said:

They told you why they are still taking precautions & for how long they intend to. You have no idea what their medical history is like, nor do you know anything about them.

There's no reason to be an arsehole here when it's someone else making decisions that do not affect you.

Some people are so out of the loop of how most people live they seem not to have noticed that the libraries have been closed to public access for wifi for well over a year.  Only in a few places have the libraries opened so far as to allow people to sit in them and do computer work -- and those that do, are strictly limiting the time now, even on people's own computers, not just the library's -- which has always been the case -- one get a single half hour.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

There's no reason to be an arsehole here when it's someone else making decisions that do not affect you.

I would love for the ignore feature to remove quotes as well. Alas, I just get some of these reminders that affirm that choice. So it goes.

Just now, Raja said:

They told you why they are still taking precautions & for how long they intend to. You have no idea what their medical history is like, nor do you know anything about them.

My response is really In reply to the original comment they made. Implying that the plan is to let the virus run unchecked through the population, suggesting this is dangerous whilst also saying they won’t leave the house after being fully vaccinated is a really questionable position. Again I just wonder what the point in time they think they will be safe will be, because if you expect that the virus is going to go away then I hate to burst peoples bubbles. The truth is if you are scared to leave the house after being fully vaccinated then there will simply never be a time where you will be able to let your guard down. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

My response is really In reply to the original comment they made.

You can make the point without being an arsehole, which you were being in that post.

26 minutes ago, Kal Corp said:

Other than not having any sympathy for anyone who doesn't get vaccinated?

Yep. No sympathy. Sympathy for their situations in general? Absolutely, there's a reason I've always voted Democratic. Sympathy for this particular thing? Nope.

You don't even need vaccine appointments anymore, they're all walk-ins at this point. People have had months now to find out where the closest place to them that has doses is. This is important enough that it's worth stopping by the Wendy's parking lot to grab wifi after work some night, or going to the public library on an off day, or whatever it takes. Even just calling up the Oregon Health Authority at this point, they  have the info too and if you're poor and on Medicaid you have that number.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

For the record, I do realise that we are fortunate to be able to go on being careful in comfort. (Though we have certainly not been taking as as far as "staying indoors"!)

However I would say that the estimate of the chance of a fully vaccinated person needing hospitalisation when they get Covid still has large error bars, but is certainly orders of magnitude greater than that of being hit by lightning. Possibly when those error bars get smaller, after we have a few more weeks of data, we might reconsider, especially if the estimate comes down further.

And of course the implicit plan is to let the virus run through the population! Given that the return to normality has been declared "irreversible", and that the test and trace system is still pretty useless, I cannot see how anyone could possibly claim otherwise. Indeed, you admit as much with your "the virus is never going away".

Archived