Covid- Thank you, Next! Get out of our lives.

DireWolfSpirit

10 hours ago, JoannaL said:

I know that some part of the side effects can be to adjuvants (other helper materials which are in the vaccination mix) and not only to the actual vaccine. So I wouldnt be sure.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Still in my case, I had a buildup for the first 6 hours, then one day and half of constant level of dire soreness, then it dropped off quickly after nearly exactly 48 hours. I have the feeling it was mostly the MRNA building the spikes, then the immune system eventually finding the way to get rid of them. Adjuvants would probably have caused a faster heavy reaction and if things went better, it would've done so gradually. I'll see how it goes with 2nd dose in a couple of weeks.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Go back and look at Zorral’s post about the infection, hospitalization, ICU and death rates among the unvaccinated. Those numbers have not fallen. The US numbers look good because of the number of vaccinations, but things are bad among the unvaccinated.

Which means that "herd immunity" requires way more than 60% immune people (more than 40% people immune with 1 oldish or 2 doses, 15% or more immune due to having caught covid since Nov. 2020).

But then, as said a few days ago, herd immunity will only be achieved once sensible people will be vaccinated and the bulk of idiots will actually have been infected - at some point next fall or winter.

Finally got my JJ jab yesterday. Felt fine for the most part. Until today, when I has headache, fever/chills (or just fever) and now general head swimminess.

Worth it. Two weeks until I am no longer mostly no longer a potential plague bearer.

15 months of my life being run by this damned thing. 15 seconds in a clinic putting a stop to such.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Go back and look at Zorral’s post about the infection, hospitalization, ICU and death rates among the unvaccinated. Those numbers have not fallen. The US numbers look good because of the number of vaccinations, but things are bad among the unvaccinated.

Isn't that the point?  Vaccination is helping the vaccinated?  With only 50% of people vaccinated, its hard to imagine that non-vaccinated people are going to get a boost also.  Especially given the relative lack of restrictions in the US.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

"Latin Americans Head to U.S. for Covid Shots
Frustrated with the lagging pace of vaccinations at home, well-off Latin Americans have been flying north for a shot"

Latin America is pretty bad at the moment.  From the islands, to Central and South America.

1 hour ago, Clueless Northman said:

But then, as said a few days ago, herd immunity will only be achieved once sensible people will be vaccinated and the bulk of idiots will actually have been infected - at some point next fall or winter.

But don't they say that people who get COVID aren't as protected as those who are vaccinated?  So its not really a solution if there is a big cohort who refuse to get vaccinated.

Reportedly, two prominent women have died recently after receiving the AZ vaccine.

model Stephanie Dubois:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/stephanie-dubois-model-astrazeneca-vaccine-death-b1853973.html

reporter Lisa Shaw

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/may/27/bbc-presenter-lisa-shaw-died-of-blood-clot-after-astrazeneca-jab-family-says

How many anonymous ones have done so? This is infuriating.

11 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

Worth it. Two weeks until I am no longer mostly no longer a potential plague bearer.

Point of order: vaccination massively reduces chance of suffering from covid, with even greater dedications for greater levels of suffering.

It doesn't do all that much for your chances of being a plague bearer.

It doesn't create a force-field that prevents virus particles from getting in or out; it primes your immune response to being more effective and more efficient.

I'm strongly suspect that you already know this, and it's just lazy language, but so much of the misinformation out there is a result of lazy language.

That's what I thought: https://theconversation.com/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-this-work-160437 At least re Pfizer, Moderna and AZ.

So I have a problem of sorts I've been battling. I live in a country where the vaccine rollout has been impressive and where you can get Sinopharm, Pfizer or AZ. I got mine (PZ) in March. 90% of my mates and colleagues did too. Unfortunately, my absolute BFF in the world didn't. She's a yoga instructor and lives a very healthy life. However, she also seems to have fallen under the influence of one of her yoga colleagues. This guy's batshit: science denier, doesn't believe in modern medicine/allopathic medicine, thinks every illness can be fixed with 'herbs' - he's even spouted nonsense about how terminally ill cancer patients can recover fully with herbs - I loathe him and she knows it (given the several arguments I've had with him). 

She's completely opposed to the idea of getting vaccinated. She knows where I stand on this so she doesn't come up with the sort of 'rationale' he does, just vague shit like 'it's too early to know the long-term side effects' or some shit about antibody dependence enhancement, or the rare cases of fatalities (AZ) and adverse effects. I've tried my best with her: shared evidence based articles and stats, told her how many millions around the world have already got the shots, explained that actual Covid is far worse than imaginary issues with vaccines, and so on. It hasn't worked. In the meantime she goes around teaching yoga, putting not just her students but her friends at risk. 

I've stopped discussing the topic with her as it's pointless and infuriating. Also, the country's already setting up restrictions for those who haven't got the jab despite it being so readily available. Finally, at some point she'll have to/want to travel, so I guess she'll give in and get the shot then. 

It's just crap because this is a person I love, who I've known since we were 5, and who's been there for me through everything significant my entire life. So far this issue hasn't tainted our relationship, but at the back of my mind there is this anger toward her being frankly stupid and irresponsible. 

Sorry for the rant! Just wondering whether any of you have faced something similar and how you may have dealt with it. 

2 hours ago, Crixus said:

Sorry for the rant! Just wondering whether any of you have faced something similar and how you may have dealt with it. 

My sister-in-law-law is like this. We have tried to talk to her about it for probably a year, she was into the anti-vaccine videos from the very beginning. We have tried everything we could imagine, even pointing out the Pope and all the Vatican have been vaccinated, but for a deeply conservative Catholic even that bounces off her armour of vaccine loathing.

At this point in time we figure the only thing that will get her vaccinated is being banned from flying to Poland without a vaccine.

3 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

My understanding is that vaccination does reduce your chances of transmitting Covid?

My understanding is tha it does, but not dramatically, and nowhere near the numbers we all associate with the vaccines for "effectiveness"

Three people that I know and love refused the vaccine. One is rather passive aggressive, so I stopped advocating even when she asked because she already knew my answer. One has a stupid naturopath who gave her poor advice. Both of them have been burned by some bad medications. Another one is waiting for the new one that is tobacco based. ( and has a q anon style friend) All three have cut back on media of all kinds.
It is never bad advice to be fit and eat well. I choose to do my best and model my decisions. I try to stay informed, but it is so awful and confusing these days...

I would talk about what you have done in a friendly way, and then drop it?? 

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

My understanding is tha it does, but not dramatically, and nowhere near the numbers we all associate with the vaccines for "effectiveness"

The Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines reduce transmission rates somewhere between 40-60% (study by Public Health England) and 94% (Israel Ministry of Health), link: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-work

I'd call that reduction pretty dramatic myself.

14 minutes ago, Gorn said:

The Pfizer and Astra Zeneca vaccines reduce transmission rates somewhere between 40-60% (study by Public Health England) and 94% (Israel Ministry of Health), link: https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-vaccines-do-reduce-transmission-how-does-work

I'd call that reduction pretty dramatic myself.

It would appear that my understanding was wrong - thank you.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

In the Uk they have opened Twickenham stadium to do mass vaccinations today. From some accounts there were lots of young people there chanting ‘give me my jab!’. Pretty much the exact opposite of the anti vax protests last week we had 

I've heard (but not fact checked) that they're going to have an excess of Pfizer by the end of the day, so are opening up to any adult who can get there before 7.30.

ETA: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-englands-biggest-coronavirus-vaccination-centre-in-west-london-breaks-policy-to-offer-jab-to-anyone-over-18-for-today-only-12321580

and it's 8.00, not 7.30

25 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I've heard (but not fact checked) that they're going to have an excess of Pfizer by the end of the day, so are opening up to any adult who can get there before 7.30

That’s been confirmed. Massive queues have been reported. 

5 hours ago, Crixus said:

I have several relatives who just plain refuse to get the vaccine and I have not been able to come up with anything to sway them. This is in the US so at this point they can have their choice of vaccines with no known serious side effects and they can do it whenever they like and wherever they like. Not only that, but their state is offering them entry to several lotteries with prizes ranging from $50K to $1.5M upon getting the first shot and $50 (not a lottery, but just a direct payment) at the completion of the vaccine series. Despite all of this and despite hundreds of millions of people already having gotten the vaccine, they're still more afraid of the vaccine than of the virus. It's extremely frustrating.

The people I know that refuse to vaccinate are all work colleagues. Thankfully all of our immediate family members vaccinated as soon as it was available to them.

For the ones not getting the shot(s), i'll just say it, I resent the hell out of them. They are not worth my words. And as I said earlier they will likely pay a price and if they do they will get no empathy here. Part of there rationale we have to remember is that they are refusing to lift a finger to protect others, there calculation is not just about them. They are also saying screw the community at large.

You almost need to view such mindset as your adversary, to my way of thinking.

Holy fuck, that's terrible...

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/peru-almost-triples-official-covid-19-death-toll-after-review-180000-2021-05-31/

Peru on Monday almost tripled its official COVID-19 death toll to 180,764, following a government review, making it the country with the worst death rate per capita. Hungary had the worst number of per capita COVID-19 deaths at about 300 per 100,000 people. With its updated death toll, Peru now stands at more than 500 COVID-19 deaths per 100,000 people.

Odds are that the same goes for many other Latin American countries. And a few others - it's quite a given that Russian death tolls is in the hundreds of thousands as well, for instance. Still, Latin America seems to have suffered the worst, with parts of Europe coming right after that, and then the bulk of Europe and N. America...

7 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Another one is waiting for the new one that is tobacco based.

The what?  I imagine the Medicago vaccine will be fine but what's so attractive about it that would make you wait 3 or 4 months?  If not more.  More "natural"?

Archived