Anyone think Aerys would have grown to mistrust his other kids?

Canon Claude

He really seemed convinced that Rhaegar was a threat to him, but I can’t quite recall anything Rhaegar did blatantly which might prompt Aerys’s suspicions. He was careful to discuss things in secret, and Aerys was famously paranoid. Do you think if Viserys and Daenerys had been able to grow up in King’s Landing, would Aerys have turned on them as well?

Absolutely. He had pretty much lost his senses and was completely paranoid. Presumably he also wanted to live forever, so he'd always be threatened by the sight of his own offspring, given the psychological implications one's own children would have upon a madman like him.

With his sense of entitlement and arrogance of the highest order that Viserys brat is up to no good. He just wants to be king. He's always talking about it. Acting like he's better than everyone. Even me. Especially me. He wants to be king. He wants me dead.

As for Daenerys. Just look at her always around, always quiet, always listening. What does she have to hide? Her eyes always watching. Plotting. She's up to no good, if I don't stop her, who knows what plots she'll hatch up.

Aerys had Varys and other people with their own agendas whispering in his ear.   With Tywin's sound rule gone there became a power vacuum where any unscrupulous lord could get Aerys' attention.   It is supposed that Varys was the one who put suspicion regarding Rhaegar on Aerys' radar.  That said, Aerys did not appear to need much encouragement to latch on to outlandish ideas.   Any surviving child would have eventually become suspect in his extreme paranoia.    I always wondered what exactly he would have done with Rhaegar had his suspicions been confirmed?  After all, he still seemed to rely on his son during Robert's Rebellion.

Aerys was truly paranoiac after Duskendale (maybe he had a bit of it before). Varys came not long after, feeding Aerys' madness. Relaying or maybe creating rumours suiting his plans. Which were now evidently ruining the Targaryens and preparing for the Blackfyres return.

Varys could have put suspicion on anyone, any of Aerys own children if it was advancing his plans.

On 5/30/2021 at 2:03 AM, Canon Claude said:

He really seemed convinced that Rhaegar was a threat to him, but I can’t quite recall anything Rhaegar did blatantly which might prompt Aerys’s suspicions. He was careful to discuss things in secret, and Aerys was famously paranoid. Do you think if Viserys and Daenerys had been able to grow up in King’s Landing, would Aerys have turned on them as well?

I don't think so.  Viserys was his chosen heir.  He would soon be groomed for the throne.  Daenerys came along late in the life of Aerys.  He would not live long enough to see her blossom into the very intelligent young woman that we know and love.  

Rhaegar was a weirdo.  Aerys was justified to worry about his loyalty and suitability for rule.  Viserys would get impatient but he might have become a different man if he had not gone through so much hardships.  Daenerys would play it cool until her dragons hatch.  It's her fate to have dragons.  Then it would not matter how Aerys felt.  

Archived