Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I only got it about two months ago and gotta say I was shocked at how shitty it was "from a functionality standpoint."  Most baffling thing to me is I had had an HBO subscription for a long time and watched quite a few shows on HBO Go over the years, and it worked great - or at least much much better.

I find that it freezes a lot and it's not as easy to scroll through episodes like you can on Netflix and Prime. Using HBO's regular functions don't seem to have this issue.

For the first time this year I went to a theater, and saw A Quiet Place Part II. There were only two other people there at showtime I selected.

The movie had the same great tension that the first one had and it looked better. The acting was again on point. Cillian Murphy's character was solid. But I still have a hard time believing that human civilization would collapse because of these creatures.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

it's not as easy to scroll through episodes like you can on Netflix and Prime.

Yeah it takes an extra step to get to the episodes list (you have to click on the title).  This annoyed me very much at first but I've gotten used to it.  Still, though, it's ridiculous and counterintuitive.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah it takes an extra step to get to the episodes list (you have to click on the title).  This annoyed me very much at first but I've gotten used to it.  Still, though, it's ridiculous and counterintuitive.

I'm running it through a PS4, and even after you click on the title it can still take you back to the first episode if you hit the wrong button. Just seems odd given how easy the other systems are to maneuver, but it also could just be user error as I'm trying to workout, prep for a BBQ and looking for the series finale of Mare. 

:dunno:

22 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

For the first time this year I went to a theater, and saw A Quiet Place Part II. There were only two other people there at showtime I selected.

Talk about an ideal viewing experience. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm running it through a PS4

That may be part of it.  I'm just on a laptop but a few weeks ago my brother was bitching about it and he uses a Playstation.  He checked it out on mine and was like "yeah it's even worse on the Playstation."

30 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But I still have a hard time believing that human civilization would collapse because of these creatures.

They seem like they'd be remarkably easy to bait into traps.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

That may be part of it.  I'm just on a laptop but a few weeks ago my brother was bitching about it and he uses a Playstation.  He checked it out on mine and was like "yeah it's even worse on the Playstation."

Seems to be the case. I've got two laptops I use, a two year old Lenovo Yoga and a six year old HP that's a spare, along with a tablet I barely use. Just tested them all out and they each run HBO Max better than the PS4, so that's probably the issue.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

They seem like they'd be remarkably easy to bait into traps.

Quite possibly, but the hard part is setting up the trap without making any noise to attract them before it's ready, and avoiding the triggering of the trap making noise that attracts more in the aftermath. Their strength, speed, and durability also make effective trapping difficult - if you want to kill one, the trap needs to deal a hell of a lot of damage too quickly for it to dodge, and if you want to capture it, the trap needs to be incredibly strong. Certainly not a trivial exercise.

8 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Wouldn't

Hide contents

an ex-cop rather keep his gun in a special gun safe anyway?

Yeah, there were several plot holes.

And we never got to know where psycho Dylan went when he left the bed...

Spoiler

He should have, but I'm willing to buy that he figured locked up and hidden away in his shed was sufficient. I don't buy that he wouldn't have called, or had his wife call, immediately after they had had some skeevy person hanging around a couple hours earlier that very same evening.

Finished Season 2 of Ragnarok yesterday. Honest to God, I can't really explain why I like this so much. It's not particularly good. The writing is clunky, VFX is barely a thing, the performances are usually no more than serviceable and I can't even claim to have learned much about the Old-Norse pantheon having sat through two seasons of it.

That being said, I just like it in a turn-your-brain-off kind of way. I don't think I could ever watch this on a week by week schedule, but as a short binge it's pretty enjoyable. The home of the Jutul family is one of the best pieces of interior decoration I have ever seen on the silver screen and I like how even the Jottun struggle with antiquated gender norms

Spoiler

It's pretty clear that Saxa is the better manager for a modern firm and yet Flor gets to muscle her out.

I do wonder about the relationship between the Jottun. I vaguely remember from season 1 that they switched roles every so often (so in cycle X two play the parents and two the children, while in cycle y the children from cycle x are now the parents and the parents from cycle x are now the children), but it doesn't appear like Saxa and Flor have as good of a bond as the principal and Vidar. I wonder what's up with that.

I also find it hilarious that they keep stressing that Jutul is Norway's fifth largest corporation.  It would be super impressive to build up that firm from scratch, but for literally immortal magic wielders that's a really shitty performance. How are they not as big as Microsoft? XD

On 5/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, polishgenius said:

I mean, for definite. Because you're not wrong, it is a fairy tale. Pure fantasy. I can see if you were expecting something more real you might be thrown, but essentially all your criticisms are of the movie not being a different genre of movie, rather than criticism of the movie itself. Which fair enough, strokes for courses, but I'm not sure the movie would be better for changing any of it, Just different.

The one I can kind of roll with you on is the easily-brushed-off rape. I think Andy's indominability is meant to be the point there, but it does stretch credibility even for this.

Hmmm, fair point. I guess that for me it lacks a bit of an edge. It gives you satisfaction without major hurdles, so I guess it makes sense that this is so highly rated by general audiences. I certainly liked it, but not enough to put it on the pedestal it is often put on.

For me the film, lacks emotional weight. I much prefer the pathos brought by John Coffee in the Green Mile for instance. That film had stakes for me and dared to ask some much more difficult questions, which was lacking in Shawshank. 

14 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The movie had the same great tension that the first one had and it looked better. The acting was again on point. Cillian Murphy's character was solid. But I still have a hard time believing that human civilization would collapse because of these creatures.

Saw this over the weekend also. Same feel as the original with a few differences. I like how the handled the opening.

Watched Spirited Away (second time) at the weekend. Other than the handsome green dragon I am just not really that into it. I absolutely cannot stand the bits where the protagonist shouts; it makes me want to get up and put my foot through my television. Am I meant to care about anyone in this film? It's unclear.

I watched the end of Mare of Easttown too. It was ok. Like everyone else I think I liked the acting some of the plot resolution was a little clunky.

Spoiler

So, er, what was going on with Dylan. They just decided to burn Erin's journals in the middle of a murder investigation for no particular reason?

Also Guy Pearce had a surprisingly small role in the end.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Watched Spirited Away (second time) at the weekend. Other than the handsome green dragon I am just not really that into it. I absolutely cannot stand the bits where the protagonist shouts; it makes me want to get up and put my foot through my television. Am I meant to care about anyone in this film? It's unclear.

I watched Howls Moving Castle the other day , hasn’t seen it for years. My main take away is that it has a lot of very creepy men creeping over young girls.. for a cartoon.

Bit like Spirited away I didn’t massively care for anyone. A lot of these Ghibli movies don’t quite connect with me, they have all the component parts to be magical and entrancing but mostly leave me kind of cold. I think the only one that really had any emotional effect on me was My Neighbour Totoro. Maybe it’s the same problem I have with Anime in general , in that I feel there is a cultural barrier that is just preventing me connecting fully, or I don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I watched the end of Mare of Easttown too. It was ok. Like everyone else I think I liked the acting some of the plot resolution was a little clunky.

Hide contents

So, er, what was going on with Dylan. They just decided to burn Erin's journals in the middle of a murder investigation for no particular reason?

Also Guy Pearce had a surprisingly small role in the end.

He didn't want his parents to lose DJ to the real father, so wanted to destroy any evidence of who that was. Why he was so menacing about it and threatened the girl with a gun, I dunno. Just meant to mislead us I guess. 

Unrelated but as I just binged the show, I think the most ridiculous part was faking the four year old's drowning. That was so mean! He slipped and fell underwater and then decided to hold his breath? what? 

I also wonder, in the first episode Erin and Dylan talk about how all requests for money have to go through the courts. Do people really pay court ordered child support without getting a paternity test? He didn't seem to want the kid at first so it just seemed odd he didn't make sure. 

Watched Moonrise Kingdom. I enjoyed it as much as most Wes Anderson movies (though it wasn't as good as The Grand Budapest Hotel which I liked the best). Lots of feel good moments. I cringed a bit at a love scene given how old the lead actor / actress were but maybe that's just me being a conservative kook. 

Edit: Also the soundtrack (like all of Wes Anderson's movies) was great and stood out.

9 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Watched Moonrise Kingdom. I enjoyed it as much as most Wes Anderson movies (though it wasn't as good as The Grand Budapest Hotel which I liked the best).

Moonrise Kingdom is a comfortable #2 behind Tenenbaums when it comes to my favorite Anderson movies.  It's like he's world-building his quirky reality.  I agree that some of the ..romance scenes with the kids make me feel creepy, but I think he did as best you can not to make it exploitative.

Seen my favorite episode of Handmaids Tale in a while now. 

Spoiler

The group of survivors that have made it to Canada, are slowly building a rage. I feel like June is planning some payback with a new army of pissed off Handmaids.

18 hours ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

He didn't want his parents to lose DJ to the real father, so wanted to destroy any evidence of who that was. Why he was so menacing about it and threatened the girl with a gun, I dunno. Just meant to mislead us I guess. 

Unrelated but as I just binged the show, I think the most ridiculous part was faking the four year old's drowning. That was so mean! He slipped and fell underwater and then decided to hold his breath? what? 

I also wonder, in the first episode Erin and Dylan talk about how all requests for money have to go through the courts. Do people really pay court ordered child support without getting a paternity test? He didn't seem to want the kid at first so it just seemed odd he didn't make sure. 

Spoiler

He didn't slip. he was practicing holding breath underwater. 
The point of the scene was to make the mother realize she's too tired and unable to take care of him all the time.

Why would people ask for paternity tests if they are not doubting that they (or their kid) is the father? It's not something people normally do just because.

Archived