Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I forgot that I also watched The Favourite yesterday. I'm well aware that I'm very late to this party, but for anyone who hasn't seen this yet you are missing out. I remember seeing the director's first film (Dogtooth) years back and finding that an excruciatingly terrible film to sit through. I skipped over all his subsequent films, but now that I have seen The Favourite, I guess I have to give it another chance. The cast was simply amazing, the story great and I loved the visuals in it. The distortion and the type of lenses they used really gave this film a unique feel.

The two of them are terrible, but as someone who has just finished the last two episode, I can vouch that their relationship is hardly in it. You are also missing something, because episode 9 is by far the best episode of the season and 10 isn't bad either.

Glad they are going for another season, because it does end in a rather bleak place.

I loved The Favourite, I thought it was so well shot and the cast was excellent. I've also seen the Lobster by Lanthimos which I think I am in the minority for, but I didn't like it nearly as much. I think I went into it with High expectations because of the praise it was receiving. Its been a while though so I'm not sure exactly what I didn't feel worked now.

14 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It's on Sky Atlantic and actually pretty good, in my opinion.

I've started a thread here.

I don't think Sky Atlantic exists in the U.S. In the U.K its the channel that airs various HBO and Showtime and probably some other US channel shows. I assume its the same elsewhere?

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

EPIX in the US. Sky doesn't broadcast here.

https://corp.epix.com/

I read it is available on something called 'NOW' which seems to be connected to this Epix thing. I really have no idea about the TV/streaming situation in the US.

The only thing we need to know is that programming is different in the US and the UK, and programs are available differently.  NOW is also a UK, connected somehow via Sky, and EU service, not available in the US, and not connected to EPIX.

Idk what I'm watching, but it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen and it's extremely interesting. It's called Pause with Sam Jay (on HBO). The section of the show I just caught was a class with a ton of women, gay and straight, wearing strap-ons, fucking watermelons. Listening to the women describe how it made them feel was as insightful as it was uproarious. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

The only thing we need to know is that programming is different in the US and the UK, and programs are available differently.  NOW is also a UK, connected somehow via Sky, and EU service, not available in the US, and not connected to EPIX.

Yeah, I realized that shortly afterwards. There is an Epic Now App, apparently ;-).

On 6/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, Heartofice said:

The show is a bit confused from what I’ve seen  on whether the Shelbys are Roma or Irish travellers, the two things are not the same. 

I do know that the show lazily had characters speaking actual Romanian instead of Roma language at one point.

Well, they certainly don't look like Roma.

But I've been puzzled by Hollywood portrayals of Roma people (that is, the casting of Roma characters) for a long time. They always look like white people and are played by white actors in US and UK productions, so at this point, I need to ask people from Western European countries - have the Roma populations in countries like UK extensively intermarried with the majority  white population? It certainly hasn't been the case here in Serbia and I'm pretty sure iit also has or other countries of Southeast Europe and probably Middle Europe either. The Roma population here looks very distinctly South Asian and obviously different from the majority white populations (and no, that doesn't mean just  a bit of a tan and dark hair and eyes - most of the people in Southern Europe/Southeast Europe definitely  are not pale Nordic types,  but the Roma definitely stand out with brown skin tone and South Asian features, in addition to their language and specific accent).

Got around to watching Nobody, luckily after a lot of beers. If the John Wick series hadn't existed, I probably would have said it was totally awesome. They do, though, and this was weaker in every way. Still a lot of fun - just seemed so derivative. I also snorted more than once during the ridiculous final battle featuring the two cameo actors. Was that supposed to be a funny scene, like the Red movies? 

Anyway, it was... fine, I guess. Just seemed completely unnecessary with the existence of the superior series.

I'm slowing on my Lucifer re-watch. All the ham-fisted dialogue, acting, and silly episodal plots are getting to me. The incredibly beautiful people quota isn't as compelling when I already know what's going to happen. I think I might skip the majority of the second and third seasons I've already seen, watch the first couple and last couple, and then hopefully I enjoy the two newer seasons that'll be fresh content for me.

I'm excited for Loki to finally start. I've absolutely had my fill of superhero stuff, but I'm almost sure to enjoy this, unless it's thoroughly disappointing compared to the trailer.

34 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I need to ask people from Western European countries - have the Roma populations in countries like UK extensively intermarried with the majority  white population?

I dunno if this is always true but I'm reasonably sure it's partly true. There's a group that apparently identify as Romanichal (the Roma group that afaik is the most populous in the UK) that lives down the bottom of the town I grew up, and they don't look anything like the Roma you see in Germany/Poland etc. The boxer Billy Joe Saunders is one of them (mind you, there's a chap I talk to sometimes on a boxing website who's, how to translate his words more delicately, said that BJS' family specifically can't trace their Romani roots back very far). 

That same chap though in his time talking about it has also mentioned that while separate groups there is some mixing between the Roma and Travellers and that he looks a lot whiter than his great-grandparents for probably that reason, so yeah. And they themselves sometimes just use Traveller as a catch-all term and only specify when it comes down to it. 

(edit: misspelled Romanichal)

Watched Train to Busan last night.  Good zombie flick, and I don't even particularly enjoy zombie movies.  I'm starting to think I should check out more South Korean cinema because the last two movies I've seen were this and the excellent Parasite. 

Definitely recommend Busan for anyone interested in a zombie story with decent characters and claustrophobic action.  A few plot points seemed overly contrived:

Spoiler

Particularly why the one woman let in the zombies so that they could kill everyone (except the remaining main characters).  I understand that she felt like they were acting shitty and selfish, but I don't see how letting the zombies in so that you and they are all killed in horrible fashion makes sense.  Oh well, didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie, just felt out of place. 

There are more than one group of "Roma" that arrived in Europe out of India, arriving via different routes and different times. 

For instance, those who provide Spain with it's most distinguishing national motif, the flamenco dancers and musicians -- and playing cards -- came ultimately via Egypt, across the Sahel, early in the 15th C. They also contributed to the motifs that are familiar to so many of us in tarot deck cards, as well as the conjunction with the Jewish Kabbala and alchemy.

These groups don't all look the same* particularly the much later arrivals, mostly out of Romania, that currently populate so heavily cities in Mediterranean countries such as Nice, Venice, Rome.  Prior to this latest wave, These populations were called Gitanos, memorialized in the French cigarette brand made familiar in the US by the French New Wave filmmakers in the '50's and '60's).

The tv series, Suburra, set in contemporary Rome (well, contemporary Before) has a large number of Roma characters.

The older groups' languages reflect greatly the primary language of the country they have come to inhabit, so to speak.

* But most non-Mediterranean people don't see a difference in appearance generally between a Roma and the so-called ethnic Spanish, French, Italians of the Mediterranean basin. Other than they look very poor (particularly when begging; its certainly the costume) and sometimes, as in my case, in Sevilla, looking at a group of young women and seeing something just 'off' about their make-up and clothes, i.e. they made-up and dressed unskillfully, unlike the average young Spaniard, however little or much money s/he might have, which drew my attention. My companion said, "Roma."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

Although they are often referred to as "Gypsies", Irish Travellers are not genetically related to the Romani.[9][10] Genetic analysis has shown Travellers to be of Irish extraction, and that they likely diverged from the settled Irish population in the 1600s, during the time of the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. The centuries of separation has led to Travellers becoming genetically distinct from the settled Irish.[11] 

I decided to give Bad Times at the El Royale a second  chance. I was so hyped to see it after the trailer came out, so naturally my expectations were too high at the time. Time has not made the film any better. It's got some really good cinematography and set designs, but the plot is a bit of a mess, especially in the third act. The actors seem like they made the most of what they had to work with, but that couldn't save the movie IMO. Hemsworth clearly was having a lot of fun with his role though. 

Watched an older movie last night, Road to Perdition. Pretty good movie, good cast, really well done visually. I was in the mood for a crime flick and this filled the bill really well.

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Got around to watching Nobody, luckily after a lot of beers. If the John Wick series hadn't existed, I probably would have said it was totally awesome. They do, though, and this was weaker in every way. Still a lot of fun - just seemed so derivative. I also snorted more than once during the ridiculous final battle featuring the two cameo actors. Was that supposed to be a funny scene, like the Red movies? 

Anyway, it was... fine, I guess. Just seemed completely unnecessary with the existence of the superior series.

My take on this movie was John Wick if his wife never died and he became a soccer dad.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

There are more than one group of "Roma" that arrived in Europe out of India, arriving via different routes and different times. 

For instance, those who provide Spain with it's most distinguishing national motif, the flamenco dancers and musicians -- and playing cards -- came ultimately via Egypt, across the Sahel, early in the 15th C. They also contributed to the motifs that are familiar to so many of us in tarot deck cards, as well as the conjunction with the Jewish Kabbala and alchemy.

These groups don't all look the same* particularly the much later arrivals, mostly out of Romania, that currently populate so heavily cities in Mediterranean countries such as Nice, Venice, Rome.  Prior to this latest wave, These populations were called Gitanos, memorialized in the French cigarette brand made familiar in the US by the French New Wave filmmakers in the '50's and '60's).

The tv series, Suburra, set in contemporary Rome (well, contemporary Before) has a large number of Roma characters.

The older groups' languages reflect greatly the primary language of the country they have come to inhabit, so to speak.

* But most non-Mediterranean people don't see a difference in appearance generally between a Roma and the so-called ethnic Spanish, French, Italians of the Mediterranean basin. Other than they look very poor (particularly when begging; its certainly the costume) and sometimes, as in my case, in Sevilla, looking at a group of young women and seeing something just 'off' about their make-up and clothes, i.e. they made-up and dressed unskillfully, unlike the average young Spaniard, however little or much money s/he might have, which drew my attention. My companion said, "Roma."

Roma people are not from Egypt and have nothing to do with Rome or Romania (other than the fact that Romania is one of the countries with a sizable Roma minority). They are from the Indian subcontinent.

The idea "they can't be distinguished from Spanish or Italian people" is extremely funny and makes me wonder how many actual Roma people you've seen. Without the "poor" look that you mention   (and BTW, while the majority of Roma people are poor - and the systemic racism towards Roma doesn't help - there are Roma people who are not from the lowest class - I've met some), they could be mistaken from people from India or Pakistan. (And indeed, at least one Roma woman I knew was, by a German custom officer who asked her if she was with a group of people from India.)

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

They are from the Indian subcontinent.

The idea "they can't be distinguished from Spanish or Italian people" is extremely funny and makes me wonder how many actual Roma people you've seen. Without the "poor" look that you mention   (and BTW, while the majority of Roma people are poor - and the systemic racism towards Roma doesn't help - there are Roma people who are not from the lowest class - I've met some), they could be mistaken from people from India or Pakistan. (And indeed, at least one Roma woman I knew was, by a German custom officer who asked her if she was with a group of people from India.)

Fascinating anthropology. And I was ignorant being from the subcontinent 

Roma (Gypsies) originated in the Punjab region of northern India as a nomadic people and entered Europe between the eighth and tenth centuries C.E. They were called "Gypsies" because Europeans mistakenly believed they came from Egypt. This minority is made up of distinct groups called "tribes" or "nations

5 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

The idea "they can't be distinguished from Spanish or Italian people" is extremely funny and makes me wonder how many actual Roma people you've seen.

Haha yeah wtf even was that for a statement? Like maybe there are some Romani groups in Spain whose situation is similar to those in England where they've married with local people in the past and so look a bit more Spanish, but basing an entire 'all these people look the same to me' on one anecdote where you got a bit confused in Spain once is a stretch.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:19 AM, Heartofice said:

Watched Doctor Sleep and while it got some praise and yes it has a lot going for it ( the way it mimics the Kubrick movie, the young girl in it is good) for me it bares far too many hallmarks of a Stephen King story, and I tend to have an allergic reaction  to that because I mostly think his stuff is garbage. 

Everything to do with The Knot and stealing people’s steam was pure King nonsense and I wish I liked the movie more because I think it deserves respect. Haven’t read the book so can’t comment on how different it is,  but the more King I detected the more I lost interest 

I read the book and it was trash, and I say this as a fan of peak Stephen King.  Sorry Stephen.  You should have left The Shining alone.  I can't imagine that a bad King book could ever be anything but a bad movie, I was shocked it got decent reviews.  

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I read the book and it was trash, and I say this as a fan of peak Stephen King.  Sorry Stephen.  You should have left The Shining alone.  I can't imagine that a bad King book could ever be anything but a bad movie, I was shocked it got decent reviews.  

Well I’m going to be honest I am not a fan of even the book of the shining, I guess I might be had I never seen the Kubrick version but there are so many corny King elements floating around that book that make me feel icky. 

I have vowed to never read another of his books since the Dark Tower burnt me badly, but I don’t need to read Doctor Sleep to see his finger prints all over this story. 

There were elements I liked, seeing a grown up Danny was interesting, his battle with alcohol mirroring his fathers.. but even that wasn’t surprising given how much King puts himself in his stories ( sometimes literally) 

Then everything to do with the knot and the young girl abra was just corny nonsense. Luckily I was able to detach myself from the movie enough to not get angry at it shitting on the originals memory 

Archived