Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well I’m going to be honest I am not a fan of even the book of the shining, I guess I might be had I never seen the Kubrick version but there are so many corny King elements floating around that book that make me feel icky. 

I have vowed to never read another of his books since the Dark Tower burnt me badly, but I don’t need to read Doctor Sleep to see his finger prints all over this story. 

There were elements I liked, seeing a grown up Danny was interesting, his battle with alcohol mirroring his fathers.. but even that wasn’t surprising given how much King puts himself in his stories ( sometimes literally) 

Then everything to do with the knot and the young girl abra was just corny nonsense. Luckily I was able to detach myself from the movie enough to not get angry at it shitting on the originals memory 

The Shining is hands down the scariest book I've ever read.  I can't even think what would the closest second, it might even be another King book.  But Doctor Sleep was a bad idea, badly executed, and yes the knot stuff was nonsensical with huge gaping plot and logic holes.  

Man, the last time I saw so much discussion on Roma genetics and how to recognize them, the Wantzee Conference was going on :P

On 6/7/2021 at 12:14 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

I loved The Favourite, I thought it was so well shot and the cast was excellent. I've also seen the Lobster by Lanthimos which I think I am in the minority for, but I didn't like it nearly as much. I think I went into it with High expectations because of the praise it was receiving. Its been a while though so I'm not sure exactly what I didn't feel worked now.

I'll probably try The Lobster next (well, when I next feel like trying a film by that director) as that seems to be the film of his that has most caught on in pop culture. It is odd though, the spread in his films. On the one hand the Favourite which I really liked and on the other hand Dogtooth which I really hated. I hope Dogtooth was just a mistake and all the others hew closer to The Favourite :)

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I decided to give Bad Times at the El Royale a second  chance. I was so hyped to see it after the trailer came out, so naturally my expectations were too high at the time. Time has not made the film any better. It's got some really good cinematography and set designs, but the plot is a bit of a mess, especially in the third act. The actors seem like they made the most of what they had to work with, but that couldn't save the movie IMO. Hemsworth clearly was having a lot of fun with his role though. 

This film was made for airplane viewing in my opinion. The separate stories, the trashy nature of the plot and characters it was all perfectly forgettable fare that is perfectly suited to the shitty viewing experience you have on a lower-class international flight.

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Well I’m going to be honest I am not a fan of even the book of the shining, I guess I might be had I never seen the Kubrick version but there are so many corny King elements floating around that book that make me feel icky. 

I have vowed to never read another of his books since the Dark Tower burnt me badly, but I don’t need to read Doctor Sleep to see his finger prints all over this story. 

There were elements I liked, seeing a grown up Danny was interesting, his battle with alcohol mirroring his fathers.. but even that wasn’t surprising given how much King puts himself in his stories ( sometimes literally) 

To the bolded, I know what you mean exactly and I hated that as well. The Dark Tower for four books had everything to be a stone cold classic and then that shit starts to happen :crying:

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I read the book and it was trash, and I say this as a fan of peak Stephen King.  Sorry Stephen.  You should have left The Shining alone.  I can't imagine that a bad King book could ever be anything but a bad movie, I was shocked it got decent reviews.  

To be fair, any King book can be a bad movie, as has been proven countless times in the past. 

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

'all these people look the same to me'

You claim I said that; I did not. 

For reasons you go for any opening you perceive to make that clear to everyone you dislike me.  Keep on keepin' on! :rofl:   :cheers:

Plus, we have a community of Roma living in my neighborhood, whom I see every day -- at least Before the pandemic.  You?

22 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Man, the last time I saw so much discussion on Roma genetics and how to recognize them, the Wantzee Conference was going on :P

....Exactly how old are you?

On The Shining, I think that may be the only King book I actually did read.  I musta been 10 or 11.  I liked it, but I like the movie a hell of a lot more.

22 minutes ago, mormont said:

To be fair, any King book can be a bad movie, as has been proven countless times in the past. 

True.  But if the good King books are usually bad movies, there would be no hope for a bad King book like Doctor Sleep to be anything but a bad movie. 

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Before the pandemic.  You?

I literally wrote in my post that I had one on the bottom of my town.

42 minutes ago, Zorral said:

For reasons you go for any opening you perceive

I really only respond to like, I dunno, one in every twenty opportunities I perceive you being a doofball? I don't keep track of my interactions with you, I just sometimes respond to something that annoys me. 

ETA: Wrong thread. *facepalm*

Just wrote a book post in the TV/film topic. Last night's insomnia definitely catching up with me. 

Right...something on topic. I finished Shadow and Bone last night. Initially I hated it because it all seemed very young adult fantasy drama by numbers. And to be honest it carried on being like that right the way through, but I got more into it as it went on, anyway, and warmed up to a few of the performances - notably the three actors playing the Six of Crows characters. I haven't read the books, but the series raised my interest in the author's work. 

I'd like to watch The Nevers, but it currently just seems to be available on Murdoch-related channels, and I prefer to avoid handing over money to him. 

Gomorrah season four. Was awesome. Thought it would dip in quality after the events of season 3 but I was fully hooked and enjoyed the season immensely. Can’t wait for the final season 

Michael Manns Thief. What a confident/stylish debut film. Don’t know why I took so long to watch this. James Caans performance was top notch. Easily up with the best showings of any of Michael Manns leads imo. 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

This film was made for airplane viewing in my opinion. The separate stories, the trashy nature of the plot and characters it was all perfectly forgettable fare that is perfectly suited to the shitty viewing experience you have on a lower-class international flight.

I don't think that was the goal at all. They took a big swing and it fell flat. Ironically it is a perfect airplane movie though. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

King's longer stories are hard to make into movies. I recently read 11/22/63 (highly recommend it, btw) and I have no idea how they could make it into a movie. The miniseries of it was just okay, but at least that medium gave it the time to breath and is probably the best way to adapt much of his work outside of his short stories. 

The problem with Stephen King is that you REALLY need a director who can create suspense, and an oppressive/creepy atmosphere and that is actually a rare talent.  Also why most King adaptations are campy and silly instead of scary.  And much of the imagery works obviously better on the page than the camera.  

31 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The problem with Stephen King is that you REALLY need a director who can create suspense, and an oppressive/creepy atmosphere and that is actually a rare talent.  Also why most King adaptations are campy and silly instead of scary.  And much of the imagery works obviously better on the page than the camera.  

Giant topiary animals weren’t scary on the page , so quite glad they didn’t make it to screen 

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm amazed they managed to make a halfway decent version of It on the big screen.  The second half was a bit of a letdown but overall it was pretty solid.  Not terribly scary and some questionable decisions, but they absolutely crushed the casting in both halves and I think that went a long way.

I remember the television miniseries from when I was a kid and that was an absolute disaster.  

30 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm amazed they managed to make a halfway decent version of It on the big screen.  The second half was a bit of a letdown but overall it was pretty solid.  Not terribly scary and some questionable decisions, but they absolutely crushed the casting in both halves and I think that went a long way.

I remember the television miniseries from when I was a kid and that was an absolute disaster.  

'Halfway decent' is the key phrase though, also 'not terribly scary'.  The first one was okay, agree the cast was good, good production values but not really scary.   I disliked how they sexualized Beverly and she seemed several years older than the rest of the kids, I think I ranted about this when it came out.  I haven't seen the second one.  True story:  when I was reading IT, which was also a very scary book, I was driving along and a car with a clown driving passed me on the road.  Creepy as fuck.  

Recently finished a French show called UFO(s) (OVNI(s)). Wouldn't usually mention it here, but I think it's the best French show I've ever seen (not that I've seen that many, most of them suck), and I expect it to become available on some platform or the other rather soon-ish.

The very concept of the show is hilarious enough: it's a kind of X-Files, in France, in the 1970s. It's a comedy, but -and I find that hilarious as well- much of it is perfectly credible. The service that the show is focused on, the GEPAN, actually existed, and its archives are available online.

Watched the entire first season of Westworld last night/this morning.  Hadn't thought of the show for awhile, now I'm sad wondering if there will ever be a season 4 between Nolan/Joy's deal with Amazon and trying to get the cast back together after covid.  :(

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Watched the entire first season of Westworld last night/this morning.  Hadn't thought of the show for awhile, now I'm sad wondering if there will ever be a season 4 between Nolan/Joy's deal with Amazon and trying to get the cast back together after covid.  :(

Were you able to finish the third season? I loved season one, tolerated season two, but checked out on the last season midway through. 

Archived