Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Were you able to finish the third season?

Oh yeah.  I didn't feel like digging up the old thread, but I'm a huge fan.  Certainly admit season 2 was..very annoying, and season 3 had its issues, but I'd really really like to see Nolan/Joy finish their story.  Absolutely loved the way season 3 ended, even if the journey was rocky.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh yeah.  I didn't feel like digging up the old thread, but I'm a huge fan.  Certainly admit season 2 was..very annoying, and season 3 had its issues, but I'd really really like to see Nolan/Joy finish their story.  Absolutely loved the way season 3 ended, even if the journey was rocky.

Hmm, interesting. I may have given up even before the midpoint. It just seemed like more of the bad parts of the second season, but I'll take your word for it and at some point give it a second try. If nothing else I'll happily rewatch the first season and see what happens. 

Do you think it's more enjoyable hunting for all the clues, as many of us were during season 2, or just letting it be what it is?

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you think it's more enjoyable hunting for all the clues, as many of us were during season 2, or just letting it be what it is?

I'm...not sure yet.  Before last night I don't think I've watched any of it since season 3 ended - meaning I still have never really rewatched the third season.  I did cheat before starting on the first season last night and watched two episodes of the third season (the finale and "genre" episode 5 - which was awesome and what prompted me to get back into it). 

But, again, having never rewatched/binged the third season, I really couldn't give you an honest opinion.  Plus it's been awhile and I don't have the best memory of season 3 (or even season 2 really).  So, guess I'll get back to you when I finish doing so.  All I'll say is I definitely liked the third season a lot more than the second.  But that's just me, could be a guilty pleasure like Sarah Connor Chronicles.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm...not sure yet.  Before last night I don't think I've watched any of it since season 3 ended - meaning I still have never really rewatched the third season.  I did cheat before starting on the first season last night and watched two episodes of the third season (the finale and "genre" episode 5 - which was awesome and what prompted me to get back into it). 

But, again, having never rewatched/binged the third season, I really couldn't give you an honest opinion.  Plus it's been awhile and I don't have the best memory of season 3 (or even season 2 really).  So, guess I'll get back to you when I finish doing so.  All I'll say is I definitely liked the third season a lot more than the second.  But that's just me, could be a guilty pleasure like Sarah Connor Chronicles.

That 70's Show reference is what I had in mind from the other thread.

Season 2 is where following every detail became popular, and it may have taken away from the show. Both the first and second season were mazes within a maze within a maze, and it's easy to get lost writing for that. The parts I watched of the third season seemed out of place, but if Utah starts to run away with things I'll throw on S3-E1, smoke a bowl and either watch it closely or fall to sleep. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That 70's Show reference is what I had in mind from the other thread.

Season 2 is where following every detail became popular, and it may have taken away from the show. Both the first and second season were mazes within a maze within a maze, and it's easy to get lost writing for that. The parts I watched of the third season seemed out of place, but if Utah starts to run away with things I'll throw on S3-E1, smoke a bowl and either watch it closely or fall to sleep. 

I guess it hinges on where you define "popular" but I remember a lot of people comparing little details to support the two timelines theory in season one.

I think the problem was when the people making the show decided that because it's first season hinged in part on a crazy twist that it had to be a crazy twisty show in season two. The split timeline thing was poorly received because it seemed like it was there just so there were "ooooh shhhit" moments. Parts of season two were really good. 

Season three had the same "mystery for the sake of mystery" issues and the resolution was pretty dumb. I'll keep watching but mostly cause of the theme song. 

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Season 2 is where following every detail became popular

I agree with RumHam that this really started with the first season and Nolan/Joy misused and even abused it in the second season.  I also, strongly, think binging shows rather than watching them weekly can drastically change one's perspective on a show.  Searching and subsequently discussing clues on a message board in the midst of watching can lead to unrealistic expectations (or even almost demands and subsequent anger when they're not met) - let alone the being susceptible to groupthink.

So..stop distracting me so I can get back to rewatching season 2/3 then report back instead of being distracted by this forum and getting way too high beforehand!

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

and the resolution was pretty dumb.

Boo!  Blaspheme!

I finally watched the Watchmen show over the last few days. Very good in its own right but I felt it didn't quite get the comic, particularly with the ending, and as such was slightly unsatisfying sequeling.

There was a spoiler thread round here presumably? Will have to dig it out see how the discussion went...

eta: turns out there wasn't? Or it got eaten by the code.

25 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I finally watched the Watchmen show over the last few days.

That's another one I rewatched during my tour of HBO Max the past couple months.  I Am the Walrus!

26 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

There was a spoiler thread round here presumably?

Yeah there was pretty active discussion on it here as it aired.

Just now, DMC said:

Yeah there was pretty active discussion on it here as it aired.

I thought there must have but weird, can't find it - searching Watchmen or even names of characters and actors gives me nowt. Well, it gives me lots, but not a thread for the show.

Ah well.

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I thought there must have but weird, can't find it

I got this doing a google:

Can't remember if there's more but after that google just gives me a bunch of threads on the Night's Watchmen.  Like anyone here cares about them.

On 6/8/2021 at 9:01 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think that was the goal at all. They took a big swing and it fell flat. Ironically it is a perfect airplane movie though. 

I mean obviously, no one makes movies specifically to watch on airplanes :P That's a bit niche. I was just slagging the film as its terrible, but still kind of watchable if you do it on an airplane when you are sleep deprived and hating your life for having chosen Ethiopian again instead of allowing your butt the luxury of flying with Emirates :P

On 6/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, DMC said:

....Exactly how old are you?

Let's just say that I'm the Pharrell Williams of Westeros.org :hat:

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I watched Alien versus Predator yesterday which has aged pretty well(lots of models I suspect). 

Yeah, both those franchises have been pretty wedded to practical effects and suits rather than CGI, which definitely helps them age.  Aliens from 1986 still looks really great, aside from some of the technology the humans use in 2200 looks very 1980s. 

I rented Riders of Justice last night, a Danish [subtitled] film featuring Mads Mikkelsen, thinking it was more or less going to be a straight up revenge action film with a bit of buddy comedy.

It had all that, but was so much more. It was about trauma, and grief, and meaning, the shit we carry, and just being there. Absolutely loved it.

Highly recommend, definitely shot to the top of my list of films watched in the last year or two.

Currently enjoying color blocking shows such as Agatha Raisin, and Ms, Fisher's Murderous Mysteries.

Agatha's our UK contemporary; Peregrine Fisher (niece of Phryne Fisher, of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries) is the swingin' 60's, a feminine  (deliberate usage) counter to James Bond, in Melbourne.

In a sense, the James Bondish swinging '60's spin-off is more than a little reminiscent the Mary Tyler Moore Show episodes I've seen. Though, ya, MTM show was in the 1970's, and she wasn't doing crime and international crises. Notably the Really Big Bad and all around ugly guy in the third episode is US, working for the CIA, in league with Russia.

These programs are light-hearted, ensembles of characters, big on fashion and design, with lava flows of color and, certainly in Melbourne, sunshine, making excellent escapism.

6 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I'm still enjoying Angel and I watched Alien versus Predator yesterday which has aged pretty well(lots of models I suspect). 

Every now and then I try to watch AvP: Requiem and understand what is going on in the movie. I'm pretty tolerant of bad horror movies but that one fails to hold my attention in a way that I don't understand. It is so bad.  Like someone decided to cancel on of those CW shows by having the predator kill everybody. I've never finished it and I've started it at least three times. 

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Every now and then I try to watch AvP: Requiem and understand what is going on in the movie. I'm pretty tolerant of bad horror movies but that one fails to hold my attention in a way that I don't understand. It is so bad.  Like someone decided to cancel on of those CW shows by having the predator kill everybody. I've never finished it and I've started it at least three times. 

I have never seen that one. If it shows up on Disney+ I will give it a try. 

Recently finished a re-watch of Legends of Tomorrow before starting the new season. I love this show so much. Well, once it finds its place. First season isn't great with the gross rapey villain. Second season is ok, especially after they get rid of the Legends that were meh, but still too DC CW-y. By the third season it just stops trying to be anything more than goofy fun, and the fourth and fifth season have some of my fav tv eps of all time. 

I joked to Mr. Tyr that I want a Voltron Beebo tattoo. He laughed then looked at me like yer gonna aren't ya. Maybe I will...

Watched the first ep of the new season last night. Still silly and still fun. Looking forward to catching up on the rest!

Archived