Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

There’s a new season of Home Before Dark! I lasted 20 minutes, I think. You don’t fix the issues of season 1 by making a 180 degree turn and pretend it’s always been that way. 

I also watched Derry Girls, which was adorable once I got on this very specific wave length the show is. It took about 3-4 episodes but by the end I was like, I want mooooooore. 

Ha!  Billions, season 4, went up on Amazon Prime this weekend. I This is the show that shows us just how uncaring these sorts are about anyone who isn't in the club, and for those who in the club, it's war to the death, with intermissions to gang together to take out anyone who might possibly curb their unimaginable privilege or get in the way of their smallest wish.  I've always admired the writing on Billions in a way that I cannot for the writing on Succession.  Different perspectives here, all right, which is just fine.  Billionaires and those who aspire to be among them are equally despicable on both shows.  Though the characters on Billions have a lot more wit than those on Succession.

So much watching then: Lupin, part 2, Lucifer, part 2 of final season, on Netflix; In the Height on HBO, and now Billions season 4 on Amazon, as well as continuing the color blocking pretense to swinhing '60's Melbourne of Acorn TV's Miss Fisher's Murderous Mysteries.

I will have to get started, which I can since I finally finished the Norwegian Ragnarok season 2 on Netflix last night. Funny how the Loki character on the tv series resembles the Hiddleston Loki on that new Apple-Disney tv series -- which I won't see as I don't do/have Apple-Disney -- except much younger, of course.

Luarits-Loki, Ragnarok (Jonas Strand Gravili) :

https://medias.spotern.com/spots/w640/296/296768-1580811294.jpg

Loki (Hiddleston) :

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ba/38/39/ba383935359938fba945c6a5c3299111.jpg

I will begin Lupin tonight.

I finished The Expanse season 5 last night. I loved this season, it's one of my favorite seasons of the show (certainly way better than season 4). I was surprised to see that some people disliked it because "nothing happened" (?!) It had one of the biggest game-changers of the show, and then followed it up with actual consequences and people responding to it. The character work this season was so good. 

The ending was very WTF, but I had to look online to understand what was going on because I didn't immediately make the connection. 

I definitely need a rewatch of the entire show before the final season starts.

On 6/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Latest episode of Fear the Walking Dead (season finale):

Reveal hidden contents

with multiple nuclear warheads going off...  I just thought it was funny the very first thing I noticed Lennie James in was the post-nuclear-apocalypse show Jericho.  Now he gets to do it again. 

Texas is a no-go wasteland for the next millennia i guess.

Is this season six? I got up to the end of season five but six wasn't available (for free) on Prime at the time.

ETA: I recently binged Ares on Netflix. Anyone else watch this? Only eight episodes. It's quite dark - a kinda creepy horror series about a secret society in Amsterdam. It was a bit difficult to watch in places as it was quite intense. Different though. If you like dark, moody horror and secret societies then you'll probably love it.

28 minutes ago, Isis said:

Is this season six? I got up to the end of season five but six wasn't available (for free) on Prime at the time.

Yes.  I keep forgetting it's on AMC tonight, but it is up early on their website.  So that was spoilers for those who wait the few days more.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I watched Paddington 2 yesterday. And my heart grew three sizes that day.

I watched it a couple of days ago, as well, as it's on Netflix.

I liked it quite a bit. Beautiful ending (including the post-credit sequence with Hugh Grant). It reminds me very strongly of Babe and Babe: Pig in the City, which is a good thing. And a little bit of Stuart Little, too. But it carved out its own space, in particular with its mixing up of animation techniques at points which I quite admired.

This weekend I watched all 5 episodes of Lupin, Part 2. I couldn't ration myself, which I try to do with series I enjoy the most. Yes, like this time around, I usually fail. Ha!

My goodness the writers, camera people and editors do tension in this show. It's breathtaking how many narrow escapes upon narrow escapes they can pile up in a single sequence of a single episode.  I've never seen anything quite like this. And while doing so they manage to create visual jokes that add commentary.

For a single sample, in one scene Our Protagonist, Assane Lupin, captured and handcuffed in a police vehicle, stops a station to refuel, naturally requests to use the bathroom -- and of course, hands cuffed behind him, requires assistance from the guardian cop. All through this sequence are people holding hoses and engaged in other activity, that with a restroom in the picture, provides comic, um, er, well ya, relief!  Only the French could have done this so elegantly, subtly, refusing to draw any attention to itself, lacking broad vulgarity (which broad vulgarity, of course the French do as much as every other culture on the planet), while containing wit.

Ya, this show is special in every way, because it is so French, making no gestures toward that blandness of deliberately trying for an international audience. Lupin was conceived from the gitgo for a French audience, not a global one.  The producers are fairly convinced that this is why the show became an unexpected international blockbuster -- it is relaxed within its French context, from source material to culture to cast, to locations.

NYer Magazine does a piece on the series’s actor, Omar Sy.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm a man of my word, F1 fans.

Senna  is a go!

ETA: What a beautiful and well done documentary. 

I feel it was shamefully overlooked by the Oscars that year (although I think it did win/get nominated for other awards). I thought it was very effective how it was all done with archive footage, no narration or talking heads.

11 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I feel it was shamefully overlooked by the Oscars that year (although I think it did win/get nominated for other awards). I thought it was very effective how it was all done with archive footage, no narration or talking heads.

I don't think it's the kind of film that gets noticed by audiences this side of the pond. It was very well done though and only compels me to watch the sport more, tragic as the story is. 

Wow, that Jupiter's Legacy is bad. 

The Code. What a load of horseshit.

The Characters. What a bunch of terribly written, whiney-ass soap opera rejects. Special mention for po-faced asshat, The Utopian.

The Plot. Was there even a plot? Just a series of boohoo, woe is me, daddy issues.

The Acting. Jesus wept.

The crappy, cheap looking old person makeup. WTF?

I only stuck with this for the flashbacks, curious to see how they got their powers. Oh dear, what a waste of time.

Easy to see why this got canned. Utter, utter shite.

Watched Bo Burnham's Inside over the weekend and holy shit was it powerful.  If you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and watch it.  It's both incredibly personal, hilarious, and makes some of the best commentary on current culture I've seen since Carlin.  I've watched it twice now and there's new things I catch every time.

Seriously.  Watch it.

Last night I finished my rewatch of The Shield.  So good.  That moment when Olivia realizes what she's done is just great.  So much tragedy in that final season.

@Rhom's thread about Bond and The Rock made me want to watch The Rock again, so I did that after...  That movie is like 98% action and 2% story, unfortunately I was not in the mood for that.  All watching The Rock did for me was make me wish that I was watching So I married and Axe Murderer, so I'm watching that right now.  "Head!  Down!"

I haven't seen it yet but I'm really hoping F9 will revive interest in my Num Lock script. 

edit: if it wasn't clear from the title, it's about an accountant who's computer was hijacked by terrorists such that it will explode if someone turns off NUM LOCK. 

edit2: Maybe he did the terrorist's brother's taxes so bad that he got lethal injection. 

I've started on 13 Reasons Why season 3. Already wondering if there is a real need for a third season. The second one made sense as it was about showing the consequences of what we had seen in season one. But with season three, I'm asking where do you draw the line? You could be continuously be going, 'oh, but what if we showed you the POV at the same time from a completely new character that you didn't know about but who was integral to the plot actually?'. 

Showing that awful people have their own reasons and motivations is a little bit like ASOIAF, where you get the Jaime POV in the third book and realise, oh, maybe the bad guy has reasons...that's what it reminded me of anyhow.

But I'm invested at this point so I'll just roll with it.

I started watching The Woman In the Window but it was so boring that I gave up around half way through.  

I also started watching See which has been a rather pleasant surprise so far (first two episodes). The writing is incredibly rich and gives the impression that whoever put this story together, they actually took the time to think about what they are doing and why. Another rarity I hugely respect is that they are conveying their socially relevant messages in a subtle and intelligent manner. Their stand on social and political issues isn’t shoved into my face in a blatant and obnoxious way, but it’s there to sink in as I follow the story. I’m looking forward to exploring the world they are building and the characters that were introduced. And I’m hoping that they keep up the promising writing and the show won’t self destruct as it progresses. 

On 6/13/2021 at 6:40 PM, Zorral said:

This weekend I watched all 5 episodes of Lupin, Part 2. I couldn't ration myself, which I try to do with series I enjoy the most. Yes, like this time around, I usually fail. Ha!

My goodness the writers, camera people and editors do tension in this show. It's breathtaking how many narrow escapes upon narrow escapes they can pile up in a single sequence of a single episode.  I've never seen anything quite like this. And while doing so they manage to create visual jokes that add commentary.

For a single sample, in one scene Our Protagonist, Assane Lupin, captured and handcuffed in a police vehicle, stops a station to refuel, naturally requests to use the bathroom -- and of course, hands cuffed behind him, requires assistance from the guardian cop. All through this sequence are people holding hoses and engaged in other activity, that with a restroom in the picture, provides comic, um, er, well ya, relief!  Only the French could have done this so elegantly, subtly, refusing to draw any attention to itself, lacking broad vulgarity (which broad vulgarity, of course the French do as much as every other culture on the planet), while containing wit.

Ya, this show is special in every way, because it is so French, making no gestures toward that blandness of deliberately trying for an international audience. Lupin was conceived from the gitgo for a French audience, not a global one.  The producers are fairly convinced that this is why the show became an unexpected international blockbuster -- it is relaxed within its French context, from source material to culture to cast, to locations.

NYer Magazine does a piece on the series’s actor, Omar Sy.

My wife and I finished watching it also and quite enjoyed it. I have also liked it because the French producers do not try and reach a global audience. I watch stuff like this just so I can learn the hidden little details of French culture, or of any other culture in which a show is set. This is the stuff that fascinates me.

3 hours ago, Dog of England said:

My wife and I finished watching it also and quite enjoyed it. I have also liked it because the French producers do not try and reach a global audience. I watch stuff like this just so I can learn the hidden little details of French culture, or of any other culture in which a show is set. This is the stuff that fascinates me.

I would have said Lupin was created with a global audience in mind first and foremost. It’s totally Hollywood outside of one or two French twists. 

Archived