Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To not further derail the dating thread, I'm moving this here.

What do you mean you haven't seen A Clockwork Orange? Or Team America??? 

Teacher, you have your own weekend assignment to do.

:P

It't almost summer holiday, it is not like I will be graded anymore, so I don't need to do this assignment! :P

I mean ... how many Slovene movies have you seen, on the other hand? I am sure I have seen more American ones than you have seen those ...

8 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

It't almost summer holiday, it is not like I will be graded anymore, so I don't need to do this assignment! :P

I mean ... how many Slovene movies have you seen, on the other hand? I am sure I have seen more American ones than you have seen those ...

I took summer courses every year and didn't complain about it. Carried a 4.0 during them as well (although I'm not sure the grading system transfers to where you are).

And I'm not sure that's the greatest comparison, in part because while it was directed by an American, it's not really an American film. But if you have a Slovenian film to recommend, I may watch it if I can find it here. I'm not adverse to seeing foreign language films, though when I see films in French or Spanish I tend to make the mistake of trying to understand the dialogue too much. 

Regardless, go watch A Clockwork Orange. It's a very good film, albeit creepy in many parts (and doesn't age very well to boot).

On 6/19/2021 at 7:58 AM, Corvinus85 said:

This is not a real movie, just a fan edit.

Trailer fake. Movie real. See the Russo tweet 

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Gave it a go when I couldn't sleep last night.  Despite the great music-dance sequences, this thing is non-stop, prolonged, on-screen graphic brutality. Nor can I stomach the tone switches from us witnessing this utter brutality while it’s all light-hearted.  Are they thinking they’re channeling Tarantino?  Even so, big reasons Tarantino films make me sick.

I quit after about a half hour. What was interesting was the dance-and-music numbers, seeing USA old school gangsta (not the get-this-party started hip hop) has been adapted to the ancient Hindu dance and music plus Bollywood traditions.

It has been interesting to see rap replace both rock and reggae as the international pop 'revolutionary' sound track.  Though I don't think this film has anything whatsoever to do with protesting Modi.  But as I said, I only lasted a half hour.

Lol. Not watched yet. 

Plus @Zorraland all, Jagame Thandiram has a GoT/Abomination actor in the principal cast. Jeor Mormont.

Plus the director tried to cast unsuccessfully Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro and AL Pacino. 

The makers unsuccessfully approached famous Hollywood actors Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino for doing a key role in the film. Later actor James Cosmo was signed on to play the concerned role.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10661848/trivia

I've finished season 1 of the Brazilian dystopian thriller/drama 3% - and it was excellent throughout. Interesting and original premise that reflects on many social issues, well-fleshed out and compelling characters, tension kept throughout, well done twists, and it ended with an interesting setup for season 2, which I'll start binging soon. I hope seasons 2-4 are a least nearly as good.

Why isn't this show more popular and talked about? If it had been an English lajnguage US production, I bet it would be huge.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I took summer courses every year and didn't complain about it. Carried a 4.0 during them as well (although I'm not sure the grading system transfers to where you are).

It doesn't. Our grading system is different. And we also don't have summer courses that count as a part of the secondary education (only for university students), you have to pass the subjects at school and that's it.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Regardless, go watch A Clockwork Orange. It's a very good film, albeit creepy in many parts (and doesn't age very well to boot).

If it's that creepy as you and @Argonath Diver say, I probably wouldn't like it much ... you are talking to the person who thought Pulp Fiction was disturbingly violent.

12 hours ago, DMC said:

A Clockwork Orange is much more of a British film than an American film, both in spirit and in practice.  Really, it's a London film.

Ah, I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me.

To be on topic, I watched a cute movie with a curious title The Guernesey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It takes place in 1946 in England.

Watched Nobody yesterday. Big mistake as I don't get why this film even exists apart from cashing in on John Wick's success. There really is nothing it has to say artistically that it hasn't cribbed from better films. The action is rote, the performance questionable, etc. Skip it and rewatch John Wick instead.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, Maithanet said:

I walked out of Xmen 3 thinking it was a good movie and I should recommend it to other people.  I later watched it with one of my college roommates based on that recommendation and he was like "WTF?!"  I was a bit embarrassed. 

Awch, that's a painful mistake :) 

19 hours ago, briantw said:

I've never understood why people don't like Last Action Hero.  It's a fantastic parody of Arnold movies, and Charles Dance is awesome as always.  

:agree: or at least mostly. It's not superlative, but a damn good film regardless.

So I finished watching Westworld shortly after posting about it a few pages back.  Pretty funny that right after I lamented about there possibly not being a season 4, Jeffrey Wright posts an instagram pic basically confirming they're about to start filming.

To comment on the third season as promised, I do still think it is far superior to the second season - which still annoyed the fuck out of me even though I knew what was coming.  I really like where they're going with this, and it was a lotta fun to get reacquainted.  Also, with context, "It's tribal.  They use plumage to identify themselves." is now one of my favorite lines.  One thing I noticed that I'll spoiler tag..

Spoiler

Hale should still have possession of the original Dolores.  At the end of episode 6 ["Decoherence"] she takes Dolores' damaged pearl right after destroying Hector's.  May not be a big deal to anybody else, but I had forgotten that.

I finished Invincible, and I have to say I changed my mind about it, although it took a long time for me to grow any sort of affection for it.

I would have stopped after the first couple of episodes, but the good reviews convinced me to keep going. My original complaint was really that I just didn't see the point of the show at all, it all just seemed like a retread of such an over saturated genre that I didn't see what it was offering that was even slightly new. I still think that criticism is valid for large parts of the show, I don't think the main character Mark is anything more than a Peter Parker clone and its hard to really care about him. Most of the supporting cast are pretty nondescript and forgettable. 

It was really only the Omni-man mystery that gave the show any sort of intrigue or something to hang your hat on. That's why the show grew to become more interesting towards the end as it focused more on that. 

I've been saying I've got superhero fatigue for close to a decade now, but maybe this time it really is true.

Recently, I watched The Great Food Truck Race S13, which was set in Alaska.  It's mindless fun and one of my favorite things on Food Network.  Also, I watched a series called Starstruck.  It's a fairly standard rom-com.  But, I still found it enjoyable mainly because of the lead actress and creator Rose Matafeo.  

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Plus @Zorraland all, Jagame Thandiram has a GoT/Abomination actor in the principal cast. Jeor Mormont.

Plus the director tried to cast unsuccessfully Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro and AL Pacino. 

The makers unsuccessfully approached famous Hollywood actors Morgan Freeman, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino for doing a key role in the film. Later actor James Cosmo was signed on to play the concerned role.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10661848/trivia

OK it was underwhelming. But it had loads of opportunity. Nearly redeeming flashes of brilliance. Music and cinematography were lit. Editing ok. Progress was jerky and choppy.

Summary: Wasted potential yet worth a watch

Don-e

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It doesn't. Our grading system is different. And we also don't have summer courses that count as a part of the secondary education (only for university students), you have to pass the subjects at school and that's it.

I was talking about at the university level. HS summers after a little break were about football training camps for me. 

What is the grading system in your neck of the woods? I'm always curious to learn how countries do things differently.

If it's that creepy as you and @Argonath Diver say, I probably wouldn't like it much ... you are talking to the person who thought Pulp Fiction was disturbingly violent.

Pulp Fiction is a top five movie for me. 

I've been reluctant to give you advice in the dating thread because I think we both can agree we want very different things, but it's a good thing to take yourself out of your comfort zone. There's sexual violence in A Clockwork Orange, as well as hooliganism and psychological torture, to name a few themes. It's about the leader of a street gang, at least to start. But it's a fascinating film, it's very well done from a technical standpoint and it will haunt you. I really do recommend you give it a chance. If you don't like it 30 mins in you can always turn it off (though I am of the mindset that one should always try to finish a film they decide to watch).

Clockwork Orange is a work of brilliance but it's absolutely a film that should come with a content warning. I knew a rape victim who unknowingly watched it and I don't think it did her any good at all. 

I agree with Tywin that sometimes straying out of comfort zones is good, but then sometimes we have comfort zones for a reason. So yeah. ACO is recommended, but go in with eyes wide open.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was talking about at the university level. HS summers after a little break were about football training camps for me. 

What is the grading system in your neck of the woods? I'm always curious to learn how countries do things differently.

Right. I teach in a high school, so that is all that is on my mind these days.

In primary and secondary school, we have a 1-5 grading system, with 1 being non-satisfactory and 5 being the best. And there are only full numbers, none of that decimal complications. At university, there is a 1-10 grading system, with anything below 6 being non-satisfactory (I think most of the professors just grade between 5 and 10).

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pulp Fiction is a top five movie for me. 

I've been reluctant to give you advice in the dating thread because I think we both can agree we want very different things, but it's a good thing to take yourself out of your comfort zone. There's sexual violence in A Clockwork Orange, as well as hooliganism and psychological torture, to name a few themes. It's about the leader of a street gang, at least to start. But it's a fascinating film, it's very well done from a technical standpoint and it will haunt you. I really do recommend you give it a chance. If you don't like it 30 mins in you can always turn it off (though I am of the mindset that one should always try to finish a film they decide to watch).

I know Pulp Fiction counts as a classic and all ... but I just didn't like it.

Oh, I am trying to get out of my comfort zone, no worries. I just want to do it at my own pace!

43 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Right. I teach in a high school, so that is all that is on my mind these days.

In primary and secondary school, we have a 1-5 grading system, with 1 being non-satisfactory and 5 being the best. And there are only full numbers, none of that decimal complications. At university, there is a 1-10 grading system, with anything below 6 being non-satisfactory (I think most of the professors just grade between 5 and 10).

That's really not all that different from here conceptually.

I know Pulp Fiction counts as a classic and all ... but I just didn't like it.

Oh, I am trying to get out of my comfort zone, no worries. I just want to do it at my own pace!

I know, one step at a time. Just don't be afraid to take the next one. It's not like you're going to get eaten like Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, after all.

For Clockwork Orange maybe read the book (I mean, the books nasty too but you’re going to feel some sympathy for the protagonist).

For the Shining and 2001, the films are better than the books. But really doesn’t sound like any of them is your cup of tea Buckwheat.

Watched made in 2011 (100th anniversary) 1911 a Chinese movie about the ending of the Qing Dynasty and over 1000 yrs of Chinese monarchy.

It's a sweeping epic with an enormous cast includes Jackie Chan and Joan Chen and many more.

Short synopsis-

1911 chronicles the political careers of China's first president Sun Yat Sen (Winston Chao) and military commander Huang Xing (Chan) as parallel trajectories that embody the two-pronged offensives of the revolution.Oct 3, 2011

Archived