Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

41 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

There was also this scene where Tatsu beat to death one of the teenager recruits with a baseball bat, I believe. I was 13 years old when I saw the movie and it really made an impact on me.

I really don't remember a scene like that (and I have seen this movie many times in my youth).  There is a scene where Tatsuo is training the kids to be foot soldiers, and at one point he kicks a kid in the head who was bowing to him.  But the kid is seems relatively ok afterwards, he says "yes master tetsuo" in response.  Later in the film Casey Jones hits Tatsuo with a golf club in the chest hard enough to knock him through the air (which would probably be fatal).  Is that what you're thinking of?

Otherwise I have to wonder if there are some deleted scenes or something that didn't get into the VHS version that I had. 

44 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I really don't remember a scene like that (and I have seen this movie many times in my youth).  There is a scene where Tatsuo is training the kids to be foot soldiers, and at one point he kicks a kid in the head who was bowing to him.  But the kid is seems relatively ok afterwards, he says "yes master tetsuo" in response.  Later in the film Casey Jones hits Tatsuo with a golf club in the chest hard enough to knock him through the air (which would probably be fatal).  Is that what you're thinking of?

Otherwise I have to wonder if there are some deleted scenes or something that didn't get into the VHS version that I had. 

I guess you are right. It has been a long time and I remembered it that way for some reason. Still a lot more edgier than most things geared towards teenagers at the time.

The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action movie that came out in 1990 was a smash hit. It became the most successful independent film of all time and spawned two sequels. If you saw it, you probably remember the scene where Shredder's second-in-command, Tatsu, flies into a rage and starts brutally beating a teenage Foot soldier. Other Foot Clan members stop him before he goes too far. Originally though, this scene was much darker.

Tatsu was supposed to eliminate that soldier. In the original comics, Tatsu destroyed the young man with his bare hands right then and there. The movie was going to stick with the death, but this was cut and replaced with the dialogue "You'll be alright," due to being seen as too dark for the movie's target demographic.

https://www.thegamer.com/original-ninja-turtles-trivia/

30 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I guess you are right. It has been a long time and I remembered it that way for some reason. Still a lot more edgier than most things geared towards teenagers at the time.

https://www.thegamer.com/original-ninja-turtles-trivia/

Ok, you're talking about this scene.  Yeah, Tatsuo is fucking shit up.  You could even argue that the kid might die, it's not like that other teenager has any idea of whether he really would be all right or not, he's just saying that because he's still currently breathing.  I doubt they have a lot of doctors in the foot clan.  

38 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Lovecraft Country got dropped by HBO, so like... fuck I'm disappointed. 

Did it get better as the season progressed? I checked out after the fourth episode as the show seemed completely off the rails (really liked the first two episodes though).

34 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did it get better as the season progressed? I checked out after the fourth episode as the show seemed completely off the rails (really liked the first two episodes though).

imo, yeah. There were a few episodes I felt were close if not actual genius, but it definitely wasn't an entirely cohesive, story driven narrative. 

Like, I suppose I get it. They covered the book more or less and the author hadn't written a sequel, but the atmosphere was so fantastic greedy me wanted more.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

imo, yeah. There were a few episodes I felt were close if not actual genius, but it definitely wasn't an entirely cohesive, story driven narrative. 

The show was structured quite differently from the book. By the time they got halfway through season 1, they had basically used up the source material.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

Like, I suppose I get it. They covered the book more or less and the author hadn't written a sequel, but the atmosphere was so fantastic greedy me wanted more.

Maybe I'll give in another chance sometime down the road. I do like what they were going for, but it felt pretty bonkers after a few episodes.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

The show was structured quite differently from the book. By the time they got halfway through season 1, they had basically used up the source material.

Wait, it's based off of a single book? I thought they were just mashing together a bunch of his short stories (I've only read a few of them and it's been a while).

Wasn't somebody saying I'm the Trailer thread that they'd watch a film called The Tomato/Tomorrow War while discussing about the Edge of Tomorrow? 

Wish granted. Chris Pratt in a film that should have been made on the morrow of everyday. That is, never 

I know the bourne series is not perfect ( currently re-watching Identity), but the first two films are both excellent, imo. Also, hello clive owen & walton goggins!

Can people make spy movies like these again, please. To be fair, they probably do but I just haven't seen them.

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wait, it's based off of a single book? I thought they were just mashing together a bunch of his short stories (I've only read a few of them and it's been a while).

The book is Lovecraft Country, by Matt Ruff. It is so much better. 

I watched Boogie Nights for the first time the other day cause it was leaving HBO max. Turns out I didn’t have to watch it cause they put it on Netflix but I’m glad I did. I felt like I needed a shower after watching it but what a movie. 
kinda wanna check out that new Soderbergh flick No Sudden Move

38 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

wanna check out that new Soderbergh flick No Sudden Move

I watched it last night -- it's good, for lots of reasons, starting with the cast.

It's beginning to look like there is A Look of the Fifties Noir that is an HBO Fifties Look, including the lighting of interior scenes. I'm thinking Perry Mason and Lovecraft Country, and now No Sudden Move. It's almost like another generation of interpretation of the films of the 50's made in the 90's, and now a 21st C's reinterpretation of the 90's films. I'm thinkin of L. A. Confidential, or Devil In A Blue Dress, for instance.  Though No Sudden Move is Detroit.

Archived