Watch Watched Watching: Danny Ocean's Star Wars with Groundhog Zombies and Aliens at the Edge of 28 Days later than Tomorrow

Veltigar

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Very pretentious title for a movie review.

Don't blame the review's writer; the writers don't get to caption, title, etc. their stuff! :dunno:

As for the look of No Sudden Move, Perry Mason, Lovecraft Country -- they are all HBO productions, and they're in color.

Mank is Netflix, and Fincher's choice was to shoot in b&w.  https://collider.com/mank-netflix-in-color-images/

I watched Kung Fu Panda 3 yesterday. It was okay but the visuals in the setpieces didn't stand up to the first two. 

I also started watching The Small Town by Nuri Bilge Ceylan. He makes Terence Malick look like Michael Bay.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Don't blame the review's writer; the writers don't get to caption, title, etc. their stuff! :dunno:

Even on what appears to be a self-owned one-person website?

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I also started watching The Small Town by Nuri Bilge Ceylan. He makes Terence Malick look like Michael Bay.

:huh:

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Even on what appears to be a self-owned one-person website?

I no blame nobody. I make observation. 

-

Amazon paid $200 million for Tomorrow War, which was originally supposed to have a theatrical release. I bet it would have made a billion. 

I watched American Werewolf in London (1981) by John Landis yesterday. Also known as the movie with the longest IMDB trivia list ever, it just kept on coming. I enjoyed it although it is a very weird film. It's not frightening at all and overall it is surprisingly funny, but still not enough to be a comedy. The relationship in the film doesn't make any sense whatsoever, nor do the actions of the villagers in the beginning and the vulnerabilities of the werewolf make a whiff of sense but still I enjoyed it.

I can't really put my finger on why I liked it so much though. I guess the actors are quite charming and the creature design is pretty impressive for the 1980s. The rotting corpse friend talking about suicide was a nifty narrative trick, but mostly I think I just enjoy a good werewolf flick from time to time. For some reasons zombies and vampires seem to be far more present in our cultural memory than werewolves but they are neat monsters to have around though.

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

However, there is that great big elephant on the screen -- or rather not on the screen.  That in a neighborhood of mostly quite dark African Dominicans, almost everybody has very very very light skin.  Been a great big stumble block among the audience it was supposed to honor.

Seems like an odd oversight from the studio. Didn't they visit Washington Heights before shooting? XD

7 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm ashamed to say I have not seen Lovecraft Country yet, but it's on my list. I'm confused at the cancellation, given the praise its received.  Maybe Netflix can pick it up...

I'm ashamed for having watched the majority of the season. If it received praise, it's clear that the critics didn't see any episodes past the first. The show is based on an incredibly interesting idea, but the execution is absolute garbage.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

-

Amazon paid $200 million for Tomorrow War, which was originally supposed to have a theatrical release. I bet it would have made a billion. 

I haven't seen the film yet, but all the promotional material for it (the trailers, but even the posters) look so aggressively mediocre. In theater this would have bombed I believe.

On 6/30/2021 at 10:31 AM, Veltigar said:

I had the distinct pleasure of finally watching the original The Wicker Man (1973). Totally not what I was expecting, as I assumed it was just going to be a scary, coherent version of the Nicolas Cage remake that gave use countless memes but it is a completely different animal all together. I didn't think it was very scary at all, which is usually not a good thing to write in the review of a horror film, but this film gets away with it because it is simply so atmospheric. I

Wow. That must be very odd, having seen the re-make before the original. I usually try to do an annual rewatch every May. It is also screamingly funny in places. It's a very special film.

Oh, and you hadn't seen An American Werewolf in London before either? Those two are probably my favourite horror films of all time. Hands down the best werewolf transformation on film. Nazi pigs/nightmare within a nightmare doesn't get any less horrifying with time either.

Last week I binged The Society on Netflix and I was pretty gosh-darned annoyed to see that a second season was initially 'delayed' by covid and then outright cancelled. That's terrible. I really wanted to see where they were going to go with the characters. Having seen the way people have behaved during a pandemic (i.e. it's not been the great leveller that has made awful people see the error of their ways and suddenly transform into nice people) and I fully believe the self-centred way some people behave in this show.

We watched Fear Street 1994 at the weekend. It was ok. Holy shit they must have spent a lot of money on the music for that film. So many needle drops! Pretty sure that Firestarter came out after 1994 too. I find this whole phenomenom a bit confusing tbh. So Netflix has spunked loads of cash on this ongoing Fear Street project - is there a huge audience for this stuff? Goosebumps was after my time. Was it that popular? But the audience for this must be massive for the amount they have spent on this. It's partly riding on the Stranger Things Nostalgia vibe I guess. I found the acting and writing to be average - not as good as Stranger Things.

I'd rather have season two of Cursed and The Society please. :)

ETA. I stalled out on Lovecraft Country after about 8 eps. I just got bored. Snowpiercer S2 is also languishing in the same pile.

Archived