Scott Hawkins

Garlan the Gallant

I could probably make a decent list of SFF authors who just disappear. Felix Gilman, Sarah Micklem, Robyn Bennis, I guess Scott Hawkins now too.

Occasionally they pop up on social media, I guess Gilman has a twitter account but gets pissy if you ask about writing? (This is all second hand so don't hold me to it).

I've found usually they had to get a full time non writing job because for whatever reasons their books don't sell, and/or something horrible happens in real life and they stop writing. (JV Jones and Melanie Rawn are good examples) 

7 hours ago, TazerFace! said:

I could probably make a decent list of SFF authors who just disappear. Felix Gilman, Sarah Micklem, Robyn Bennis, I guess Scott Hawkins now too.

Occasionally they pop up on social media, I guess Gilman has a twitter account but gets pissy if you ask about writing? (This is all second hand so don't hold me to it).

I've found usually they had to get a full time non writing job because for whatever reasons their books don't sell, and/or something horrible happens in real life and they stop writing. (JV Jones and Melanie Rawn are good examples) 

I guess you can add Ian Tregillis to that list?

15 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I guess you can add Ian Tregillis to that list?

Checked his twitter, he was active about two weeks ago and mentioned a book he's working on with someone else and a new illustrated edition of Bitter Seeds. Which Tazerface has had sitting on his shelf for a long time. Hmmm.

I was also going to mention Michael A Stackpole but it looks like he's putting on crime thrillers and Pathfinder and Gears of War tie ins.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:39 AM, TazerFace! said:

Gilman never talks about writing, I've never asked him about it (I mean I can see why he'd be pissy if he had to stop coz of lack of interest in his work), but he's very active (and pretty funny) on twitter, so he's just inactive, not vanished.

I ain't gonna link it right on the board coz he doesn't use his full real name, presumably precisely to stop crowds of book-searchers finding him, so I'll leave it out of reach of any search engines, but yeah, he's about.

DM Cornish is another one who did disappear. He pops up every now and again and posts a few illustrations, but his twitter at the mo hasn't been updated since last year. Looks like he's at least for now out of the writing game too, which is a shame but whatever they need to do eh.

Not sure if that's the case here, but often it has to do with not having a book deal. Regarding Tregillis, I absolutely loved the Milkweed Triptych series, but the Alchemy War didn't do so well in terms of numbers. There just might be little interest in his works anymore.

Also, keep in mind that the pandemic has been hard on everyone. Could be that many authors didn't have the heart to write much in the last 16 months or so. Which would explain their lack of progress and reticence to engage with fans online.

Heh, I tried doing some google fu to see if there had been even a peep about Sarah Micklem and the most recent thing I could find was a post from this site in 2016. Before that the last time anyone heard anything was..2011. So yeah something tells me that ain't happening.

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Gilman never talks about writing, I've never asked him about it (I mean I can see why he'd be pissy if he had to stop coz of lack of interest in his work), but he's very active (and pretty funny) on twitter, so he's just inactive, not vanished.

I ain't gonna link it right on the board coz he doesn't use his full real name, presumably precisely to stop crowds of book-searchers finding him, so I'll leave it out of reach of any search engines, but yeah, he's about.

Yeah I know about his twitter and the no no about asking about writing. Whatever happened there seemed to have not been good. I vaguely recall reading he was maybe writing for some MMO game but I'm not sure if that was him.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:39 PM, TazerFace! said:

Indeed. Especially in the U.S. and its shitty healthcare system, having a job that also includes healthcare is a huge motivating factor for many writers to take non-writing employment. 

Archived