Euro 2020 in 2021

On 6/2/2021 at 9:07 AM, baxus said:

Euros were never as big a deal for me as the World Cup but I don't remember ever caring so little about an upcoming major tournament.

I've always preferred the Euros. I suppose that's influenced a bit by Euro 96 being in the prime watching football in the summer age range for me but the quality is usually a lot higher than the World Cup too. Of course UEFA had to spoil that by expanding the tournament.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I've always preferred the Euros. I suppose that's influenced a bit by Euro 96 being in the prime watching football in the summer age range for me but the quality is usually a lot higher than the World Cup too. Of course UEFA had to spoil that by expanding the tournament.

eh, I would consider the last Euro a success with the expanded field. England have only themselves to blame for displaying such low quality. :P

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

eh, I would consider the last Euro a success with the expanded field.

Portugal won it (which was bad enough anyway) having won one match inside 90 minutes. Come on, it was rubbish.

I turned on the sports channel and saw Portugal-France playing and I thought holy hell, why is there no thread?

Geez, it's a replay from 2016.

I am sooooo out of practice. I have to figure out how to get a temporary name and avatar. Rusty, or what?

On 6/6/2021 at 1:39 PM, ljkeane said:

Portugal won it (which was bad enough anyway) having won one match inside 90 minutes. Come on, it was rubbish.

It wasn't worse than the Greek winning it in '04 by playing football that made Mourinho look like a proponent of an attacking brand of football total.

Yes, Portugal was dire, but Greece in '04 was so much worse.

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, Portugal was dire, but Greece in '04 was so much worse.

Greece winning it was pretty grim watching but at least it was a genuine underdog story. There were no redeeming features to Portugal's win.

Good half from Italy but they'll be disappointed it hasn't produced a goal.

Italy going to be knackered after that half. If they can keep it up the goal is surely coming especially if Turkey decides to take some risks that don’t pay off.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Greece winning it was pretty grim watching but at least it was a genuine underdog story. There were no redeeming features to Portugal's win.

The feel good underdog/cinderella story will always be Denmark in 1992. And unlike Greece they were actually playing football. Well, and they also had one of my footballing idols on their team. Anyway, point is, I really consider Greece in 2004 to be the absolute worst winners.

I hope no one here bet any money on England.  No way they will even get to the final.  They won't even win Group D.  That spot will be earned by Croatia.  During the match on Sunday, Harry Kane won't even be able to think about scoring a goal.  Instead, he will be too busy chasing Luka Modric, trying to ask for help with getting transfered to Real Madrid.

Archived