Euro 2020 in 2021

6 hours ago, Romelu Whiskaku said:

Looks like Perisic tested positive for Covid.  Big loss for Croatia.

I just brought him into my FF team! :lol: This has not been my year.

If you want to describe this tournament by an inanimate object annoyingly used by fans, then I declare this the Tournament of Plastic Containers. So many cups and bottles littering the sidelines and even the pitch. What happened to Europeans wanting to clean up waste to help the planet. Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

UEFA president said he would not support another cross-continental tournament like this one.

I agree when it comes to the logistics of travel. Not to give any silver lining to the pandemic, but can you imagine the tens of thousands of travelling fans on top of the regular tourists in Europe's airports and roadways if the pandemic didn't happen?

But hosting such a tournament is expensive for a single country.

It doesn't mean it would have to be a single host country. Netherlands and Belgium hosted it in 2000, as did Switzerland and Austria in 2008 and Poland and Ukraine in 2012. Poland and Ukraine are quite large but still nowhere near cross-continental.

If it's down to single country, then there's only a handful of countries that could host it - England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Russia... anyone else?

2 hours ago, Zlatan Ibrahimaltvic said:

Turkey maybe? Also Portugal has hosted it in the past.

Portugal has hosted it in the past but with 16 participating teams, not 24. Also, there's already talk of having 32 teams in the future and when that happens I'd say it's highly unlikely Portugal would be a candidate.

I'm not sure how good stadiums in Turkey are and whether or not matches can be played in three stadiums in the same city (Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray are all located in Istanbul).

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Another option would be to do it in a region of the continent. Central Europe, Eastern Europe, so on.

There is a joint bid from Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, and Serbia for Euro 2028

The cross contintental Euros was one horrible decission.

Putting aside the moral void of giving places like Azerbaijan, Hungary or Russia a stage. The thing that should have knocked UEFA (and whoever supported this idea) out of it is the carbon footprint. I mean events like the Euros will never be carbon neutral. It just won't. But letting teams (and supporters) fly across the continent and back again, that just pushed things on another level. And we're still not talking about doing that in the midst of pandemic. I think the Belgian travels during the group stage was one of those example of why that was a bad idea.

Ofc it doesn't have to be a single host country. But it should really be more of a regional cluster. Likesay a Scandinavian (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finnland) hosting bid. Or Portugal and Spain hosting one together (I don't think Portugal could host one of those bloated events alone).

UEFA never wanted a cross-continental tournament in the first place.   Europe was still coming out of the last financial crisis when bids were required for Euro 2020 and nobody was interested.  Except Turkey.  Who would have won if they didn't decide to focus their attention on an Olympics bid also.  UEFA told Turkey they wouldn't support it trying to do both (it could see the trouble Brazil was having at the time).

Of course, Turkey subsequently lost out in its bid for the Olympics also (to Tokyo).  Too late!

Its only more recently that UEFA has rewritten history to say it was "their idea" to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first Euros (like 60 is a big number to celebrate).  Or Platini's idea.

If countries are willing to host the competition, I doubt we'll see this again.

I just realise they have bloated the WC in 2026 to 48 teams!  Ouch.  16 groups of 3 teams.  Dreadful.

18 hours ago, Maltaran said:

There is a joint bid from Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, and Serbia for Euro 2028

Let me tell you right now - there is no way Serbia will host any matches in European competitions other than matches Serbia plays in qualifiers.

There is no infrastructure, plain and simple. We basically have 3 stadiums of any significant size (two in Belgrade and one in NoviSad), last of which was built 50 years ago.

There is some talk of building a national football stadium, but that's mostly politicians pulling that story out of a hat before elections. Even if that were to happen and a modern stadium that meets all the latest UEFA/FIFA requirements does get built we'd still only have one.

10 hours ago, Padraig said:

I just realise they have bloated the WC in 2026 to 48 teams!  Ouch.  16 groups of 3 teams.  Dreadful.

On one hand, I don't think there's enough quality teams to fill out 48 spots in the World Cup. On the other hand, I'm quite certain the same argument was made when World Cup switched from 16 to 32 teams. We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

At first it would just make it easier for top teams to advance from their groups except if only 1 team advances from the group but it stands to reason that quality would increase over time.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

6 hours ago, baxus said:

On one hand, I don't think there's enough quality teams to fill out 48 spots in the World Cup. On the other hand, I'm quite certain the same argument was made when World Cup switched from 16 to 32 teams. We'll have to wait and see how it goes.

At first it would just make it easier for top teams to advance from their groups except if only 1 team advances from the group but it stands to reason that quality would increase over time.

Its not just quality.   Before the World Cup had 32 teams, it had 24.  A rather awkward number because it would only disqualify 8 teams after every team plays 3 games (the same problem the Euro's have now).  Moving it up to 32 teams helped in two ways.  Gave more nations a chance in Africa/Asia and the Americas.  And the group stages would mean something.

I don't think there was much grumbling about that.  Or the Euro's going from 8 to 16 teams.

Now we have a group stage that wouldn't be a challenge for most of the better teams and this really long knock out competition.  There is also this weird thing if you play in the first 2 rounds of the group stage, you'll get a rest day before the knock out stages.

It is just a very awkward number.

4 hours ago, Padraig said:

Now we have a group stage that wouldn't be a challenge for most of the better teams and this really long knock out competition.  There is also this weird thing if you play in the first 2 rounds of the group stage, you'll get a rest day before the knock out stages.

And with groups of 3 you get the chance of the teams playing in the final game playing out another Disgrace of Gijon to ensure they eliminate the third team.

Archived