Formula 1 2020/2021: Shits getting crazier

TheLastWolf

That was an interesting qualifying. Not sure why the Red Bull was out of sorts in Hungary; if they're strong in Monaco, they're usually strong in Budapest (though granted you can overtake, just about, in Hungary). That suggests the updates Mercedes brought were very significant and Red Bull haven't quite kept ahead.

Red Bull seemed annoyed about Hamilton's dawdling on the final run in Q3 delaying both Max and Perez. However, no-one improved on the last run and everyone held station, so it didn't matter that Perez got caught out and didn't get to do another run. I don't think he had any chance of beating Max and the Mercedes seemed out of reach.

Something that's really odd this year is the sheer number of races where the second run in Q3 doesn't yield better lap time. Given that's been an automatic given for that last two generations of F1, it's completely baffling it isn't happening this year. That suggests the new tyre compounds aren't leaving as much rubber on the track, or the aerodynamic changes to the floor are somehow negating the advantage of there being more rubber down, perhaps making the cars shift lines slightly. It's really weird.

I think going off Max's lap in Q2 he could have at least been on the front row if it wasn't for Lewis backing them up so he played a clever game really knowing that nobody was going to beat his first attempt.

The rain started falling a bit too heavily just before the race start and threw the conditions off. They probably should have started under the safety car, but the conditions changed just a second too late for them to note it.

Bottas tagging both Red Bulls on the way out is going to have Horner going apoplectic. Domino affect: 1 Ferrari out, 1 Mercedes, 1 Aston Martin. Both McLarens also tagged, but they seem to be continuing.

Verstappen's car is seriously screwed with the bargeboard torn off. The red flag should help them repair that, but that's not normally a part you want to fix mid-race. Probably a mistake for him to come in for the first pit stop.

Esteban Ocon as the luckiest man in F1 as well. "I appear to be second. Okay."

Unsafe release for Lando as well. Giovinazzi nearly just ploughed into him in the pit lane.

Lando out as well.

Bottas missed the braking point by shitloads. He's not going to be popular in the paddock. With Russel in 8th, I can see his agent getting on the horn to Mercedes ASAP (though Latifi is in 6th!).

Excellent judgement by Ocon in where to put his car. Vettel very lucky to have such a shit start that he was completely behind the carnage and just roared through the gap behind Ocon.

Definitely not Bottas' finest hour, although secretly his team might not be too disappointed with what happened.

It wasn't quite Coulthard in Spa 98 but definitely one of the more incident-packed starts we've seen in a while.

Ricciardo can't take a trick at the moment basically through the first bit of carnage looking like being top 3 on the first lap and gets the tail end of stroll torpedoeing Leclerc. Bottas playing the team game getting both bulls in one move. 

So red flag = standing start let's have another go

I don't think Bottas is prescient enough to know that hitting Norris would take out Verstappen and Perez, so I think that conspiracy theory should be shut down immediately. He did show bad judgement though. That's a penalty for the next race for sure.

Verstappen and Ricciardo talking about an early shift to slicks to try to jump the field, but I'd be sceptical until the conditions seemed clearer.

Fortunately, there's a trained investigator in the audience:

That was a complete fiasco.

Has there ever been an F1 race where only one car takes the lights?

JFC. Russell running 2nd. He could be leading the race in a second.

13 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Definitely not Bottas' finest hour, although secretly his team might not be too disappointed with what happened.

Secretly? They're probably ecstatic over the result. They killed two birds with one stone and Hamilton has another easy race.

Ocon with a shit-eating grin and Hamilton having to overtake a damaged Verstappen, which I doubt Max will be too obliging over (Gasly was very obliging there with Max). Sainz must feel he has a good shout here, he's easily in a faster car than everyone else ahead of him.

Schumacher took out Mazepin in the pit lane! Unsafe release.

Hamilton has another easy race.

He's bitching about not being able to catch the Alfa, I'm not entirely sure about that. Hungary is easier to overtake on than Monaco, but it's still one of the tougher tracks on the circuit, the straights aren't really long enough apart from the start. The Merc has far more traction and power, but the runs are short and the risk of just ploughing into the car ahead is high.

Nico Rosberg being a bit too gleeful at Hamilton's misfortune on commentary. Calm down dude.

Just now, Werthead said:

Ocon with a shit-eating grin and Hamilton having to overtake a damaged Verstappen, which I doubt Max will be too obliging over (Gasly was very obliging there with Max). Sainz must feel he has a good shout here, he's easily in a faster car than everyone else ahead of him.

Schumacher took out Mazepin in the pit lane! Unsafe release.

Why'd Hamilton get dropped to the back of the race? Walked away for a few minutes.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why'd Hamilton get dropped to the back of the race? Walked away for a few minutes.

He stayed on the intermediates (wet/dry tyres, only used for wet conditions) and the entire rest of the field pitted to switch to race trim tyres (mediums, I think). Hamilton was the only driver to start the race under the lights, did a slow first lap and then pitted, so everyone overtook him.

That was possibly the dumbest team decision I've ever seen in F1.

Gasly is also in the sister team to Red Bull and is not going to make Hamilton's life very easy. Oh, and his brakes are overheating in the turbulent air of the entire field, which the Merc is not designed to handle.

Verstappen with an epic overtake on Schumacher. "Not bad with half a car."

That was useful because Hamilton was pushing Gasly and Gasly was in danger of lapping Verstappen, which clearly would defeat the object of the inter-teamwork going on. 

Ocon doing an epic job of holding Vettel out of DRS range. Latifi looking hopeful for points and Russell offering to help out, which is great.

Carlos Sainz dictating Ferrari's race strategy from the cockpit and so far being proven 100% right. Also finding time to tell the camera helicopter to get out of the way as its turbulence is disrupting the aero on the track.

"What's the balance limitation on the car, please Max?"

"The limitation is it's broken."

Alonso and Hamilton having a 2007 flashback here.

Holy shit. God-tier defending by Alonso here.

Archived