Formula 1 2020/2021: Shits getting crazier

TheLastWolf

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Perez signed a 2-year contract extension yesterday which I think was a good choice. I am interested to see how he continues to develop through the rest of the season, Horner thinks he's closed up the gap to Max by quite some distance and that seems to have been reflected in the results and points.

Perez is a good No. 2 driver I think. And a potential No. 1 if Max ever decides to bolt for greener pastures.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Continuing rumours that Ricciardo might be out at McLaren if he really doesn't up his game soon, and Latifi at Williams as well (possibly before the end of the season).

I had to look it up; This is his 11th full season in F1. That's kind of crazy.

He looked pretty mighty compared to his team mates at RBR and Renault, but it's fair to say Norris has outperformed him pretty consistently over the last 1.5 years. Not good when you consider Riccardo is probably making twice his salary. 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Continuing rumours that Ricciardo might be out at McLaren if he really doesn't up his game soon, and Latifi at Williams as well (possibly before the end of the season).

We might get news that Latifi isn't renewed before the end of the season but Capito stated specifically that they weren't ever going to axe a driver mid-season, so I don't think that'll happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Another pole position for Le Clerc, although it looks like it could be another very competitive race between the Ferraris and Red Bulls although the rest of the pack seem quite distant. Perez starts in second, he does seem to have made a big improvement this year compared to last, he was a clear number 2 driver then to Verstappen but there are several occasions this year when he seems to be getting the better of him on the day.

Verstappen is lucky to be leading the championship so far considering his qualifying.  It takes some amount of luck — and good team strategy, and perhaps team orders — to keep overcoming a qualifying deficit.

Ferrari’s downforce favors them on a street circuit like Baku but the Redbull can take advantage of that long straight, especially with DRS.  Racing is different from qualifying and Ferrari are not yet racing as well as they qualify.

Early in the season it was Verstappen with all of the bad luck forcing retirements while leading the race, but now Leclerc has balanced those scales.  It would be nice if Ferrari could stay competitive in races because it was shaping up to be a really entertaining season.  No-one wants a procession to the championship.

24 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It was a pity about Le Clerc's engine blow up robbing us of what might have been a good fight for the podium places - although I suspect given his pace Verstappen was likely to come out on top anyway.

Yeah, Verstappen seemed to have strong race pace today.  I know Checo got a “no fighting” message but Max was comfortably faster than him while they were both racing.  And I doubt Leclerc could have held off Max on more worn tires.  But it would make for a better race.

At the moment the biggest uncertainty each weekend is whose qualifying lap will get spoiled by Stroll’s crash.  He’s a fucking hazard out there.

I think Leclerc was at least on his second engine already, so that's concerning. They'd also replaced enough parts in earlier races that there's a strong possibility of a penalty in Canada.

I think Verstappen will be the only title contender happy with that qualifying after another dominant performance. I understand the rationale for engine grid penalties but it's a shame for the race to have Le Clerc starting from the back and likely unable to challenge for the victory even if he should be able to get a good points finish if his car stays reliable. Sainz isn't in too bad a position but will feel he should have been ahead of Alonso and Perez's crash was a disaster for his hopes.

That looked like a pretty controlled victory by Verstappen as he fended off Sainz for the last 15 laps.  The timing of the second and third (final) safety cars had gone in Sainz’ favor, leaving him on fresher tires and immediately behind Verstappen with 45 DRS zones to go (three zones per lap over 15 laps remaining).  But Verstappen held him off while managing his tires, and never really looked in danger.

Not a good sign that Sainz couldn’t overtake even with DRS but good news for Ferrari that both cars had no reliability issues and Leclerc could tear up the backfield all race to land some decent points, even if Ocon gave him fits for a while.  And their race strategy and pit timing was much better this race, aside from the slow stop for Leclerc.

Mercedes finished third and fourth and had the fastest lap, and suddenly there’s a break in the complaints that F1 must change the regs mid season  to benefit them specifically.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Not a good sign that Sainz couldn’t overtake even with DRS

Was saying with my brother, Sainz is that kind of driver who's steady and consistent, but lacks the precision in the really tight moments sometimes. 

Leclerc is so much fun when he's in the pack.

Dunno, I think Sainz would have been a little careful not to push it to the limit given all the times he's put it in the wall this season. I think that extra bit comes from being completely confident in the car & the team, and compared to Leclerc & Max, he's still relatively new to the front of the grid

Sainz is very, very solid and was exceptional last year, but shakier this year. He strikes me as a driver on the cusp of the crossover point between the level of maybe Bottas (extremely good and consistent, but just lacks that killer edge to land a WC) and the Jenson Button/Mark Webber level of being good and consistent and in the right car with the right momentum could just edge a one-off WC (like Button) or might just miss out on one (like Webber).

Best race of the season. Outstanding battles up and down the field (Schumacher vs. Verstappen!), Hamilton with a great chance to win robbed by the safety car, some interesting tyre change choices and Ferrari's tacticians taking another holiday. They were saved by Sainz pointing out that keeping him behind Leclerc on far superior and fresher tyres would accomplish nothing but both of them being passed by Perez, so he took executive action and overtook Leclerc and steamed off to a dominant victory. When your second driver is making strategy calls with far greater nous than the banks of people on the pit wall and in the factory back home, something has gone really wrong somewhere.

Good to see that Zhou is okay. That was a horrendous accident.

Archived