Better Call Saul

SeanF

Bryan Cranston on Bob Odenkirk:

There was one scene early on in Breaking Bad when we kidnap him. And it was freezing that night and the wind was whipping and the cold wind just cuts under. I don’t know if it was single digits but it was close to it. And we’re freezing. I’m holding a gun on him. My body’s shaking. I knew he was a part of the brethren. He is part of that ilk of people. It’s, “Look at what we get to do! Man, we’re out here freezing our asses off but this is how we make a living.” And I’m thinking, “Can we believe it?” And he was really excited about embracing the difficulty of it. The momentary uncomfortableness is accepted because the long-term gift of being storytellers for a living always prevails.

First episode was good, I'm too tired to watch the second tonight.

Can someone remind me why Saul had to run at the end of Breaking Bad? Jessie's confession was taken by the nazis. Hank and Gomez had Huell in a hotel room but I don't know that anyone else knew he was there.

He'd just be facing charges for helping them launder money, right? Maybe helping poison Brock but that seems like a stretch.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

First episode was good, I'm too tired to watch the second tonight.

Can someone remind me why Saul had to run at the end of Breaking Bad? Jessie's confession was taken by the nazis. Hank and Gomez had Huell in a hotel room but I don't know that anyone else knew he was there.

He'd just be facing charges for helping them launder money, right? Maybe helping poison Brock but that seems like a stretch.

Money laundering and racketeering.  He’d be looking at a life sentence.

There were a couple of things that I was confused about at the time and want to see again.

One was Mike putting the letter with Nacho's hotel number in the safe, I guess because he had to (he's in the game and that's what Gus wants)? And the other was Jimmy giving the Kettlemans the money after Kim played her hand so strongly, I guess because he thinks she played it too strongly?

"Wolves and sheep." Kim was a wolf (telling herself it's on behalf of the sheep). Jimmy seems to still be wavering a bit between wolf and sheep. Interesting change in the dynamic (she's the wolf, he's the sheep), and was it always there? Just hidden by other things, perhaps. Going back to their childhoods (her mother, his father).

The filming of the opening was beautiful, reminded me of Citizen Kane... and now I'm thinking about the bottle top by the curb... the fun is over, and now... what became of Viktor and Giselle?

Can someone remind me where the bag of cash comes from, that Jimmy used for the taxi and the Kettlemans? 

@Le Cygne

Yeah, he did what Gus wanted, setting up Nacho to be found by the Salamancas. Note that he decided not to put Ignacio's dad's fake ID in the new safe, though -- he was trying to keep him out of things, out of a sense of honor, hence the later confrontation with Gus about the dad.

I think Jimmy gave them the money because he's a softy. He didn't want to have to play hardball with them when he was using them to his own ends, but Kim is made of sterner stuff. Maybe too stern...

I don't fully see the shape of the plan for Howard.

Don’t think it is possible to guess the full grift regarding Howard. Right now they are just planting seeds of doubt in Cliff Main, likely with the intent to blow up the partnership for the Mesa Verde case. What follows will probably be a lot worse than merely suggesting he has a drug problem.

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Can someone remind me where the bag of cash comes from, that Jimmy used for the taxi and the Kettlemans? 

@Le Cygne

Yeah, he did what Gus wanted, setting up Nacho to be found by the Salamancas. Note that he decided not to put Ignacio's dad's fake ID in the new safe, though -- he was trying to keep him out of things, out of a sense of honor, hence the later confrontation with Gus about the dad.

I think Jimmy gave them the money because he's a softy. He didn't want to have to play hardball with them when he was using them to his own ends, but Kim is made of sterner stuff. Maybe too stern...

I don't fully see the shape of the plan for Howard.

I think the cash is what was Jimmy's cut of the bail money from Lalo?

Good point about how Mike tried to save Nacho's dad. Also Jimmy still has that soft spot, that Gene still seems to have, too. The way characters who are in so deep try to draw lines to keep something of the person they once were is fascinating.

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

Money laundering and racketeering.  He’d be looking at a life sentence.

Wow, I didn't realize he'd be facing so much time. Still though how does he figure he's caught?

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Wow, I didn't realize he'd be facing so much time. Still though how does he figure he's caught?

Jesse or Huell could always seek a lesser sentence by giving evidence against him

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

While not outright stated, it's clear he's a known associate of Walt's - who at the time was like literally #1 on America's Most Wanted.  Hence him having Francesca shred everything in the office right before he calls Robert Forster.  Recall when he's waiting with Walt he also advises him to turn himself in to spare Skylar from being prosecuted.  Presumably he assumed the feds would do the same to him if he didn't run.

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Do we know what became of Huell, or will the show address that?

At the end of BB?  I don't think so.  Presumably he got the hell out of Dodge after Hank and Gomez tricked him into talking.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Jesse or Huell could always seek a lesser sentence by giving evidence against him

Right, probably he freaked out because Huell was not picking up his phone and Saul had no way of knowing he wasn't in the DEA office. Jessie though was a ghost at that point, I don't think Saul had any reason to think he was going to show up and get caught.

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

Skylar has no reason to protect him either if it means a better deal for her and the kids.

True, I forgot about her!

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

While not outright stated, it's clear he's a known associate of Walt's - who at the time was like literally #1 on America's Most Wanted.  Hence him having Francesca shred everything in the office right before he calls Robert Forster.  Recall when he's waiting with Walt he also advises him to turn himself in to spare Skylar from being prosecuted.  Presumably he assumed the feds would do the same to him if he didn't run.

Maybe it's clear he was Walt's lawyer, but that itself is not a crime. So I was thinking why not face the music, maybe hide the money and do a few years. I didn't realize he'd be facing such stiff charges for money laundering. Well, really teaching someone that they need to be doing money laundering and facilitating it. Skylar was the one actually doing the laundering, at least on Walt's end.

Like is it illegal to give your client legal advice that they should be laundering their money? I honestly don't know.

But it makes sense that he figured between Huell, Skylar, Walt and Jessie someone would get caught and mention his name. It's just a lot to give up. I think I'd rather be rich and in jail for five years than managing a cinnabon constantly worried I'm going to be caught.

9 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Do we know what became of Huell, or will the show address that?

He was last seen sitting in that hotel, and the only two people who knew he was there were dead. Hank and Gomez's investigation was totally unofficial. I would think after hours had passed that he would have called Saul and asked him what to do. But he could have called the DEA or Saul may have already been gone. So no we have no idea.

Archived