Better Call Saul

SeanF

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

But it makes sense that he figured between Huell, Skylar, Walt and Jessie someone would get caught and mention his name. It's just a lot to give up. I think I'd rather be rich and in jail for five years than managing a cinnabon constantly worried I'm going to be caught.

Well, I don't think the fear was just incarceration.  There were still the gang of Nazis that just dropped two DEA agents to consider.

Just now, DMC said:

Well, I don't think the fear was just incarceration.  There were still the gang of Nazis that just dropped two DEA agents to consider.

Really? I can't figure why Saul would think the Nazi's would come after him. (that sounds so ridiculous. "why would someone pretending to be Jewish fear Nazis?!")

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

He was last seen sitting in that hotel, and the only two people who knew he was there were dead. Hank and Gomez's investigation was totally unofficial. I would think after hours had passed that he would have called Saul and asked him what to do. But he could have called the DEA or Saul may have already been gone. So no we have no idea.

Oh good, that at least sounds like he has a chance. The show invested a fair amount of time in Huell, so maybe he interacts with Gene (who I guess we will call Jimmy again!) at some point.

Jesse I do want to see again, but I don't want them to mess with his El Camino ending.

Really? I can't figure why Saul would think the Nazi's would come after him. (that sounds so ridiculous. "why would someone pretending to be Jewish fear Nazis?!")

Why would he think they wouldn't?  He probably was worried about them tying up all loose ends IRT Walt -- as he should have been.  The only reason the Nazis didn't kill Skylar and instead just scared the shit out of her is almost certainly due to Landry's intervention.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Why would he think they wouldn't?  He probably was worried about them tying up all loose ends IRT Walt -- as he should have been.  The only reason the Nazis didn't kill Skylar and instead just scared the shit out of her is almost certainly due to Landry's intervention.

I dunno if you're going to steal someone's money and leave them alive with a small fraction of it out of respect do you then think "we'd better kill his lawyer?"

My memory of the show is hazy though, like I'd totally forgotten they threatened Skylar and don't remember why they felt the need to do that. It's not like she knew who they were?

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Right, probably he freaked out because Huell was not picking up his phone and Saul had no way of knowing he wasn't in the DEA office. Jessie though was a ghost at that point, I don't think Saul had any reason to think he was going to show up and get caught.

True, I forgot about her!

Maybe it's clear he was Walt's lawyer, but that itself is not a crime. So I was thinking why not face the music, maybe hide the money and do a few years. I didn't realize he'd be facing such stiff charges for money laundering. Well, really teaching someone that they need to be doing money laundering and facilitating it. Skylar was the one actually doing the laundering, at least on Walt's end.

Like is it illegal to give your client legal advice that they should be laundering their money? I honestly don't know.

But it makes sense that he figured between Huell, Skylar, Walt and Jessie someone would get caught and mention his name. It's just a lot to give up. I think I'd rather be rich and in jail for five years than managing a cinnabon constantly worried I'm going to be caught.

He was last seen sitting in that hotel, and the only two people who knew he was there were dead. Hank and Gomez's investigation was totally unofficial. I would think after hours had passed that he would have called Saul and asked him what to do. But he could have called the DEA or Saul may have already been gone. So no we have no idea.

I don’t know how long you can get for money laundering in US.  But RICO can get you put away for life.

Saul had far crossed the line into advising his clients how to commit crimes.

I dunno if you're going to steal someone's money and leave them alive with a small fraction of it out of respect do you then think "we'd better kill his lawyer?"

Well, yes that was certainly out of character, but again explicitly due to Landry's intervention.

It's not like she knew who they were?

She knew and confronted Lydia, which is who Landry warned her from mentioning while scaring her.

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Saul had far crossed the line into advising his clients how to commit crimes.

To be clear I know Saul had crossed many lines, I just wasn't sure why he thought he was going to get caught, and why he needed the vacuum guy as opposed to just taking a flight to Belize like Mike planned to.

Makes more sense if he was also afraid of the Nazis, but I'm not convinced they even knew who he was? I'm gonna rewatch it after this ends.

RICO can get you put away for life.

It's crazy that he'd risk that, if he already had the Sandpiper money.

I wonder if we'll get a scene set during Breaking Bad where Saul tells Kim about being dragged out into the desert by Walt and Jessie and she encourages him to pursue them as clients.

30 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Makes more sense if he was also afraid of the Nazis, but I'm not convinced they even knew who he was? I'm gonna rewatch it after this ends.

Again it's very clear that Landry, at the least, knows he's a loose end.  Anyway the point is it made perfect sense for Saul to run when he did.  Whether it still makes sense he's that worried well after they're all dead is a more interesting discussion, sure.

Isn't there room for the "Gene" flashforwards to actually be fitting into the six month period between Walt going into hiding and the events of the final episode? In which case, he is probably terrified that Walt, still at large, will decide to go after him.

Besides that, even if he believes the neo-nazis and Walt are dead, he's surely the subject of FBI and DEA scrutiny for his involvement in the Fring and Heisenberg business... and whoever picked up the pieces of the cartel implosion probably has questions too or sees him as a potential loose end who needs to be silenced in case Fring gave him too much insight into their operations.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

Isn't there room for the "Gene" flashforwards to actually be fitting into the six month period between Walt going into hiding and the events of the final episode?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing right after I posted.  I have some catching up on BCS to do myself, haven't watched in years now, so I honestly don't remember if any of the flashforwards indicate how much time has passed.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Again it's very clear that Landry, at the least, knows he's a loose end.  Anyway the point is it made perfect sense for Saul to run when he did.  Whether it still makes sense he's that worried well after they're all dead is a more interesting discussion, sure.

I'm sorry, I just got who "Landry" was. Not everyone watched Friday Night Lights! I forgot Todd knew Saul from the exterminator company.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm sorry, I just got who "Landry" was. Not everyone watched Friday Night Lights! I forgot Todd knew Saul from the exterminator company.

LOL, my bad.  The first time I used it was just because I was blanking on his name in BB.  I eventually remembered but figured I'd keep using it for consistency.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I’m loving the new season.  These people are all horrific, apart from Nacho.

I have to say that his junkie girlfriends don't speak all that well for him, either, since he seems to actively support their drug habits and so makes them subservient to him by being their source.

But he's better than all the other narcos, pretty much.

@sifth

It's very likely that when we see "Gene" again, it'll be in a full color. I think I even read there's a rumor that the final episode will mostly be a "Gene" episode.

9 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yay, loved it. Just bought a season pass on Apple so I can watch again without commercials. There were a couple of things that I was confused about at the time and want to see again.

One was Mike putting the letter with Nacho's hotel number in the safe, I guess because he had to (he's in the game and that's what Gus wants)? And the other was Jimmy giving the Kettlemans the money after Kim played her hand so strongly, I guess because he thinks she played it too strongly?

"Wolves and sheep." Kim was a wolf (telling herself it's on behalf of the sheep). Jimmy seems to still be wavering a bit between wolf and sheep. Interesting change in the dynamic, and was it always there? Just hidden by other things, perhaps. Going back to their childhoods (her mother, his father).

The opening was beautiful, reminded me of Citizen Kane... and now I'm thinking about the bottle top by the curb... the fun is over, and now... what became of Viktor and Giselle?

Kim has become terrifying.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I have to say that his junkie girlfriends don't speak all that well for him, either, since he seems to actively support their drug habits and so makes them subservient to him by being their source.

But he's better than all the other narcos, pretty much.

@sifth

It's very likely that when we see "Gene" again, it'll be in a full color. I think I even read there's a rumor that the final episode will mostly be a "Gene" episode.

What comes over well is the sheer terror of living in that world, even if you’re a kingpin like Lalo or Gus.

Archived