Better Call Saul

SeanF

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah even if Gretchen and Elliot do get the money to Skyler, I don't see how that makes up for what Walt to did to that family between Hank's death and destroying the sisters' relationship.

I mean, it's a fictional universe.  It's plausible she could've cut a deal in exchange for the location of Hank and Gomez's bodies.

Or the Feds decide she was a party to Walt’s murder of witnesses, and seek a death penalty.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Or the Feds decide she was a party to Walt’s murder of witnesses, and seek a death penalty.

LOL, considering how seldom the Feds seek the death penalty, talk about a fictional universe.

The Feds, stretching my memory here, I think they would have the tape they made blackmailing Hank, that plus her clear participation in money laundering, and two dead DEA agents, and then, a full investigation would throw in the destruction of her old bosses life.....it's hard to think that Walt's phone call or even telling the feds where the bodies are burried would really put her fully in the clear legally.  Also, she was an emotional wreck and there is not much reason to think she's going to bounce back from that since, ya know, black mailed her brother in law and sister and Walt's actions ultimately led to Hank's death.  

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

LOL, considering how seldom the Feds seek the death penalty, talk about a fictional universe.

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The Feds, stretching my memory here, I think they would have the tape they made blackmailing Hank, that plus her clear participation in money laundering, and two dead DEA agents, and then, a full investigation would throw in the destruction of her old bosses life.....it's hard to think that Walt's phone call or even telling the feds where the bodies are burried would really put her fully in the clear legally.  Also, she was an emotional wreck and there is not much reason to think she's going to bounce back from that since, ya know, black mailed her brother in law and sister and Walt's actions ultimately led to Hank's death.  

Looking it up, money laundering as a federal crime carries a maximum sentence of five years per offence.  But, there could also be racketeering charges on top.  It’s certainly not impossible that Skylar could spend the rest of her life in prison.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It’s certainly not impossible that Skylar could spend the rest of her life in prison.

Except we see her six months after Walt fled, and while it's clear she's still facing prosecution/legal troubles, it's equally clear she's not facing life in prison.  She probably would have mentioned that when Walt showed up.  Walt then dying along with all the actual assailants of Hank and Gomez's murders would also likely improve her legal troubles.

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Looking it up, money laundering as a federal crime carries a maximum sentence of five years per offence.  But, there could also be racketeering charges on top.  It’s certainly not impossible that Skylar could spend the rest of her life in prison.

If that were a threat hanging over her, wouldn't she have thrown that in Walt's face during their final meeting? Realism aside I don't think we were meant to think Skylar was going to jail.

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

That was a fine episode.  Nacho deserved better, but he still went out like a boss.  Hector was just pathetic at the end, emptying a gun into his corpse.

Spoiler

Yes. I like to think of it as he got the Walter White ending. He's completely free of the hands of law enforcement. (not really a spoiler, but I see there are people that haven't seen the show yet, so I'll be cautious)

7 hours ago, Martell Spy said:
  Hide contents

Yes. I like to think of it as he got the Walter White ending. He's completely free of the hands of law enforcement. (not really a spoiler, but I see there are people that haven't seen the show yet, so I'll be cautious)

It was way better than the Walter ending. This was selfless, and Walter was never anything BUT self

On 4/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, DMC said:
  Hide contents

Not only is this clearly objectively true just comparing their motivations (or lack thereof), but Nacho is also much more conscientious.  I thought it almost strained credulity that he repeatedly expressed concern for the innocent people at Lalo's compound, even after the fact.  It's like, dude c'mon, you gotta know they're dead.  It actually was one of the only times I can remember when Nacho is almost willfully naive - whereas Jesse was quite a bit.

Jessie conscientiousness is emphasized as well, but quickly thinking about it it's pretty much always isolated to children - the kid of the methheads that stole the ATM, Brock, Drew.

I think the difference is Jessie is just more likeable.  He's got that boyish innocence and charm that engenders sympathy even when you know it shouldn't.

You think Jesse Pinkman is more likable than Ignacio Varga?!???? This is shocking.

Here is my predictions for the season- Kim asking Jimmy if he wants to be a friend of the cartel or a rat is going to foreshadow into Gene’s timeline. I predict Lalo lives and takes over the cartel after Fring and Hector die (Saul asks Jesse and Walt if Lalo sent them). Kim goes to jail for something regarding her Howard scheme or something she does after. Gene tries to take the deal in the end by rolling on Lalo, perhaps pinning more on Lalo than he is even guilty of. The show is about the main character (in all of his names and personas) not being sure who he is or wants to be. I don’t think he’s going to have an ending similar to Walt’s and I don’t think we’d have seen any of Gene if that was going to be where we leave him in his arc. In interviews about the last episode, I saw more than one person involved describe the central character to that episode to be “breaking good”  Maybe that’s a larger theme for the show, and maybe we will see Jimmy attempt to do the right thing in the end.

6 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

You think Jesse Pinkman is more likable than Ignacio Varga?!???? This is shocking.

Well, maybe "lovable" is a better word?  Either way, he certainly engendered much more sympathy from the audience if the internet is any indication.

Just now, DMC said:

Well, maybe "lovable" is a better word?  Either way, he certainly engendered much more sympathy from the audience if the internet is any indication.

I think Breaking Bad was just a bigger show in the cultural zeitgeist. I would never have described Jesse as lovable, though I know I was in the minority in finding every single character in Breaking Bad who does not appear in Better Call Saul to be very unlikable. I watched the first season and a half and never finished until Better Call Saul season one ended and I restarted just to get more of Saul and Mike.

13 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I predict Lalo lives and takes over the cartel after Fring and Hector die (Saul asks Jesse and Walt if Lalo sent them).

Gus seems to think he's dead. Pretty sure he tells Hector that the last salamanca was killed by Jessie.

Just now, RumHam said:

Gus seems to think he's dead. Pretty sure he tells Hector that the last salamanca was killed by Jessie.

Gus thinks he’s dead now, he might keep it that way in hopes of getting revenge on Gus since he and Hector aren’t going to buy that Nacho wasn’t working for them. Maybe he’s the one who helps Hector get his revenge since obviously he didn’t arrange that alone.

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Gus thinks he’s dead now, he might keep it that way in hopes of getting revenge on Gus since he and Hector aren’t going to buy that Nacho wasn’t working for them. Maybe he’s the one who helps Hector get his revenge since obviously he didn’t arrange that alone.

Gus knows that Lalo is alive.  

22 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Here is my predictions for the season- Kim asking Jimmy if he wants to be a friend of the cartel or a rat is going to foreshadow into Gene’s timeline. I predict Lalo lives and takes over the cartel after Fring and Hector die (Saul asks Jesse and Walt if Lalo sent them). Kim goes to jail for something regarding her Howard scheme or something she does after. Gene tries to take the deal in the end by rolling on Lalo, perhaps pinning more on Lalo than he is even guilty of. The show is about the main character (in all of his names and personas) not being sure who he is or wants to be. I don’t think he’s going to have an ending similar to Walt’s and I don’t think we’d have seen any of Gene if that was going to be where we leave him in his arc. In interviews about the last episode, I saw more than one person involved describe the central character to that episode to be “breaking good”  Maybe that’s a larger theme for the show, and maybe we will see Jimmy attempt to do the right thing in the end.

Kim being jailed or killed is the likeliest conclusion to her arc IMHO.

1 minute ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think Breaking Bad was just a bigger show in the cultural zeitgeist.

Definitely.  Still, I think just by the response in this thread it's different - even controlling for that.  Jesse, the character, survived because even Gilligan couldn't bring himself to kill him off.  There was never that visceral "Nacho better not die!!!" sentiment even among devotees.  At least from my exposure.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Definitely.  Still, I think just by the response in this thread it's different - even controlling for that.  Jesse, the character, survived because even Gilligan couldn't bring himself to kill him off.  There was never that visceral "Nacho better not die!!!" sentiment even among devotees.  At least from my exposure.

But it was given from the start that was the most likely outcome for Nacho- we all knew he wasn’t in Breaking Bad and you certainly didn’t expect anything nice to happen for him. We had a whole other show that was both after the fact and contained examples of what to expect for Nacho. By the time we meet him we know to expect heartbreak

I spent the whole time thinking “I am going to be so hurt later when I have to watch him die” I wouldn’t have cared -at all- if Jesse died

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

I realized last night that Kim basically doomed Nacho when she gave that speech to Lalo about not having anyone he could count on in his organization. If she doesn't make him realize he needs to depend on Nacho, Nacho never gets dragged to Mexico and the assassins need to find another way over the wall.

Kim suggested other options to Lalo: a wire transfer, a shell company, the Cayman Islands (just watched that scene again!) Lalo had no real reason to think he could trust Nacho.

14 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Maybe he’s the one who helps Hector get his revenge since obviously he didn’t arrange that alone.

I guess this is possible, but it'd really strain credulity for me if Lalo kept his death a secret to almost everybody from where we are now in BCS all the way up to Gus getting blown up.  That's...like, unless he went into Mexico's version of WITSEC, Gus shoulda known by then.

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

But it was given from the start that was the most likely outcome for Nacho

I guess a bit, but not necessarily.  Obviously Kim's fate is still up in the air.  While Nacho's fate was always more likely to lead to death or jail, It was at least possible Nacho could've gotten away - just like Jesse did.  Hell, he even had the Canadian fake ID, they coulda been neighbors!  Anyway, my point is basically just saying Jesse/Paul is more charismatic than Nacho, which is obviously entirely subjective.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I guess this is possible, but it'd really strain credulity for me if Lalo kept his death a secret to almost everybody from where we are now in BCS all the way up to Gus getting blown up.  That's...like, unless he went into Mexico's version of WITSEC, Gus shoulda known by then.

I guess a bit, but not necessarily.  Obviously Kim's fate is still up in the air.  While Nacho's fate was always more likely to lead to death or jail, It was at least possible Nacho could've gotten away - just like Jesse did.  Hell, he even had the Canadian fake ID, they coulda been neighbors!  Anyway, my point is basically just saying Jesse/Paul is more charismatic than Nacho, which is obviously entirely subjective.

Perhaps part of the difference is that I am a person attracted to men and Michael Mando is about nine billion times more attractive

Aaron Paul looks to me like a cabbage patch kid of Ali G

Archived