Better Call Saul

SeanF

Interesting article, Dave Porter talks about the instruments he uses for each character:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/better-call-saul-composer-score-152725717.html

He also talks about the music for the season 2 border crossing teaser (interesting, they said they did that in a continuous shot like Hitchcock did in Rope, picking back up when someone crossed the camera):

"I think we found the zodiac killer"

I figured young Kim had to come back after they showed her dynamic with her mom last season.

Unfortunately I don't know that this "show them doing the plan but don't tell us what it is" stuff is as interesting as they seem to think it is.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Unfortunately I don't know that this "show them doing the plan but don't tell us what it is" stuff is as interesting as they seem to think it is.

I have to agree. The show seems to be spinning it’s wheels a bit after the Nacho stuff. 

I think what bothers me most is the heavy handed way they're showing Ed Begley Jr. basically offer Kim her dream job for a legitimate career only to make it all the more tragic when she throws it all away, one way or another.  Just seems kinda cheap to me.  And it's still pretty baffling why she's so intent on destroying Howard even over Jimmy's objections.

The final scene was a bit of a mess because of the fact that we don’t have a clear picture of the plan. It has been dragged out a little too long. The fake pictures with the actor don’t have the cast…okay, seems bad...if we had context it would have made more of an impact. These two sure are upset about a thing, wish we knew what exactly  or how Kim could possibly salvage the thing at the risk of losing a legitimate job opportunity.

As Shakespeare said, "Heat not a furnace for your foe so hot That it do singe yourself."

I don't understand Kim, either. I would like more of an explanation than they are giving so far. Jimmy is a lot of fun, and yet... they had fun without going so overboard before.

Like when they played Ken Wins, and when they pulled off the Huell defense. When Jimmy did the mall walking to get the Sandpiper case to close, that was more his style.

And another thought on watching again... I think Jimmy seemed relieved to call off the plan. For him, it seemed to be enough to get even with Howard with the bowling balls, that was also more his style.

Have to agree with most here, this plot doesn't feel right. I thought for a second that this dream job was going to be their explanation for Kim's absence in Saul's life in BB. I guess it still could be but it's looking more and more like she will screw that up. 

Was her holding the Vacuum cleaner business card a sign that she may use it to escape or just letting us know that this is where Saul gets his contacts from?

According to Breaking Bad Saul's second wife is destined to cheat on him with his step father. It sure seems like Kim is his second wife, but there was no stepfather at the hospital when his mother died. Probably a recon.

I still wonder if she was there during Breaking Bad maybe up until the child poisoning?

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

According to Breaking Bad Saul's second wife is destined to cheat on him with his step father. It sure seems like Kim is his second wife, but there was no stepfather at the hospital when his mother died. Probably a recon.

I still wonder if she was there during Breaking Bad maybe up until the child poisoning?

Isn't Kim the 3rd wife? Also, his mother is dead for years and there was no husband- if she remarried, it was before Chuck brought her to New Mexico.

5 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Isn't Kim the 3rd wife? Also, his mother is dead for years and there was no husband- if she remarried, it was before Chuck brought her to New Mexico.

Is it said somewhere that she's his third? I mean it's a possibility but to my knowledge he only mentions the one ex wife who cheated on him with the guy he gave a chicago sunroof to. The fact that he says "my ex wife" and not "my first wife" seems to suggest to me that she was his only ex-wife at that point.

The only way for the "stepdad" thing to work would be if his mom and his step-dad split up before her death and then he for some reason popped back up and slept with Kim. I don't expect that to happen, at all.

Also I'm pretty sure Chuck never brought their mother out to New Mexico. The funeral at least was in the chicago area, Jimmy's friend Marco is annoyed that Jimmy didn't call him when they came to town for it.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Is it said somewhere that she's his third?

Kim is his third. The episode 507 where they get married, the clerk asks him about his two previous marriages ("Do you have documentation of your two previous disolutions?")

There's this clip, where Bob Odenkirk says he thinks part of why Kim is doing the thing to Howard is to give Jimmy his confidence back after the trauma of the shootout in the desert.

I really like this show, but the comment about this season "spinning its wheels" is kinda true. Even Mike's scenes seemed redundant - we know he keeps his own counsel about how to do things and we know he loves his granddaughter. And we also know that he, at least, isn't dying he meets a certain chemistry teacher. And just what is Lalo up to? 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

And just what is Lalo up to? 

Like all great Mexican cartel members, he's trying to defeat his rival by questioning construction workers in Germany.

3 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

I really like this show, but the comment about this season "spinning its wheels" is kinda true. Even Mike's scenes seemed redundant - we know he keeps his own counsel about how to do things and we know he loves his granddaughter. And we also know that he, at least, isn't dying he meets a certain chemistry teacher. And just what is Lalo up to? 

I really liked the Mike scene, but yeah you are right, the point about his relationship with his granddaughter has been made A LOT, not sure what else this added.

Im struggling to really think of anything of note that even happened in this episode , the most notable thing was Lalo in the woods.. but even that was, a bit like last week, lacking in tension because I don’t know who the German dude is, I don’t care if he dies. It was a fun scene but there’s a problem if that was the best bit.

Yeah, are they just spinning their wheels till they get to the big finale, I hope not

Vince Gilligan has said a few times that he really, really loves the idea that the show goes completely off-track and they have a scene where one of the characters reads Walter White's obituary, just a regular school teacher who died of cancer, and you realise the whole thing takes place in an alternate timeline and nothing that happens in BB has any bearing on this show. Then he realised he'd probably be killed by overzealous fans, so they're not doing that. Fun idea though.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Vince Gilligan has said a few times that he really, really loves the idea that the show goes completely off-track and they have a scene where one of the characters reads Walter White's obituary, just a regular school teacher who died of cancer, and you realise the whole thing takes place in an alternate timeline and nothing that happens in BB has any bearing on this show. Then he realised he'd probably be killed by overzealous fans, so they're not doing that. Fun idea though.

Reminds me of Inglorious Basterds (I always forget the proper way to misspell it.) and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I'd love to see more stuff like that.

I want them to do an entire MCU movie or show without telling us it's set in a different universe until some reveal at the end.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I want them to do an entire MCU movie or show without telling us it's set in a different universe until some reveal at the end.

Well, Agents of SHIELD, though that wasn't the original plan.

Archived