Better Call Saul

SeanF

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Well, Agents of SHIELD, though that wasn't the original plan.

The early seasons of that show make it clear as day, that it was suppose to take place in the main timeline of the MCU.

11 hours ago, sifth said:

The early seasons of that show make it clear as day, that it was suppose to take place in the main timeline of the MCU.

Yup, but that became unsustainable after Season 5 (when the movie team refused to give them the script for Endgame so they had absolutely no idea how to integrate the Snap into their story).

On 5/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, RumHam said:

Reminds me of Inglorious Basterds (I always forget the proper way to misspell it.) and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I'd love to see more stuff like that.

I want them to do an entire MCU movie or show without telling us it's set in a different universe until some reveal at the end.

Kinda did with Venom 2?

49 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Kinda did with Venom 2?

I have not seen it, my understanding was that it was clearly in a different universe? then he got zapped to the mcu, then he drank, and then he got zapped back, or to morbious world. Or maybe he'll be the method they use to revive James Bond.

edit:ok that started as a joke but I would watch the shit out of a "James Bond but infected with Venom" movie.

Woah indeed.

The way the distinct plot threads can come to intersect together in surprising, even shocking, ways is one of the great features of the show. You have these parallel stories, one a sort of quotidian story of a guy of loose morals trying to succeed, and the other this dark crime story in which that loose moral guy happens to have gotten mixed up with very bad people.

And all that said, the performances from everyone were great this episode.

Also loved the Dark Crystal reference, Gilligan and team have always been pretty good about their pop culture references.

And that said...

Spoiler

Poor Howard. Kim will surely never forgive herself, because it's their fault he was in their apartment that night...

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Woah indeed.

The way the distinct plot threads can come to intersect together in surprising, even shocking, ways is one of the great features of the show. You have these parallel stories, one a sort of quotidian story of a guy of loose morals trying to succeed, and the other this dark crime story in which that loose moral guy happens to have gotten mixed up with very bad people.

And all that said, the performances from everyone were great this episode.

Also loved the Dark Crystal reference, Gilligan and team have always been pretty good about their pop culture references.

And that said...

Hide contents

Poor Howard. Kim will surely never forgive herself, because it's their fault he was in their apartment that night...

Or maybe she's reached the point of complete callousness and self-justification.

11 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Or maybe she's reached the point of complete callousness and self-justification.

I don't think so. We already have one Saul Goodman who clearly moved on without lasting guilt. We don't need another.

Spoiler

As soon as I saw "Execution" in the title I thought "uh oh." As I said before I thought it would be the PI that got Lalo'd and Howard would try to figure out what happened in the back half of the season. Now I guess the widow Hamlin will be the one trying to get the truth out of Jimmy.

I'm not totally sure why Jimmy is that scared of Lalo killing them. Lalo had his suspicions about the money delivery, but Jimmy had nothing to do with the assault on his compound. I would have tried to play it cool instead of cowering like I expected to be killed. Though he was shocked because he thought Lalo was dead. Kim probably should have told him!

My prediction: the Lalo thing is handled that night in an episode or two. Then we move on to Breaking Bad times and then Gene.

Just sucks we have to wait till 6/11.

Spoiler

Always figured we would end up feeling bad for Howard but that was brutal. 

Mike got totally out played in this episode. When he pulled men away from less essential duties he almost certainly called off the surveillance on Kim and Jimmy.

10 minutes ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

Mike got totally out played in this episode. When he pulled men away from less essential duties he almost certainly called off the surveillance on Kim and Jimmy.

Spoiler

I’ve felt bad for Howard for the last two seasons.  Jimmy let him take the heat for killing Chuck even though Jimmy was the one who caused it and then Kim basically decides to ruin him for the hell of it.  I can understand why Kim dislikes him, as he always seemed to treat her a little unfairly, but Howard always tried to help Jimmy even as Chuck tried to sabotage him behind the scenes. 

1 minute ago, briantw said:
  Hide contents

I’ve felt bad for Howard for the last two seasons.  Jimmy basically let him take the heat for killing Chuck even though Jimmy was the one who caused it and then Kim basically decides to ruin him for the hell of it.  I can understand why Kim dislikes him, as he always seemed to treat her a little unfairly, but Howard always tried to help Jimmy even as Chuck tried to sabotage him behind the scenes. 

Kim's desire for revenge on Howard struck me as quite disproportionate.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Kim's desire for revenge on Howard struck me as quite disproportionate.

His quote to her about her getting off on it seemed pretty spot on.  Even Jimmy didn’t seem entirely sold on what they were doing. 

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

His quote to her about her getting off on it seemed pretty spot on.  Even Jimmy didn’t seem entirely sold on what they were doing. 

They were literally having sex listening to the plan work :D. What an episode. 

Wow, what an episode.

I like that they showed that Howard was basically scamming Irene/the old people to get more money (as well as the other lawyers). Howard is more like Jimmy than he liked to think. In two years, she/they may be dead.

46 minutes ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

Good point, can't wait to see the Mike vs. Lalo showdown. Mike is not going to be happy about that.

18 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Wow, what an episode.

I like that they showed that Howard was basically scamming Irene/the old people to get more money (as well as the other lawyers). Howard is more like Jimmy than he liked to think. In two years, she/they may be dead.

Spoiler

It's true that when things are falling apart he proposes going to trial, but before that it seemed to me he was genuinely interested in the mediation and would have accepted a larger number than Sandpiper's first settlement offer. To me it was more a reflexive reaction to having been humiliated and his reputation shredded -- he wanted to go and win the case, regardless of the fact that the class action participants were in many cases not likely to survive the trial, to feel like he made good despite everything.

Or am I forgetting something?

7 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

It's true that when things are falling apart he proposes going to trial, but before that it seemed to me he was genuinely interested in the mediation and would have accepted a larger number than Sandpiper's first settlement offer. To me it was more a reflexive reaction to having been humiliated and his reputation shredded -- he wanted to go and win the case, regardless of the fact that the class action participants were in many cases not likely to survive the trial, to feel like he made good despite everything.

I think they were referring to the wheelchair. 

3 minutes ago, Ran said:
  Hide contents

I meant the part before that, when he's basically conning her into doing what he wants, which is taking another 2 years. They showed Jimmy trying to get her to settle previously, and then they showed Howard trying to get her to not settle.

They've flat out had someone observe in previous episodes, the lawyers want more money, so they drag these things out. And in the case of the elderly, two years is a long time, since many of them may not live that long.

So I noticed throughout this season they have been showing Howard being smarmy about this. I think they are trying to show that Howard's way of doing things is not so different than Jimmy's, although one is playing according to the rules.

(Who made up the rules? The Howards and Chucks of the world, and they don't seem to benefit the little person so much. That's what I think they showed in that season 5 episode about the scholarship, too. What Jimmy told the girl.)

So they showed Howard talks to her like a child, and puts her in the wheelchair when she doesn't want to be, and tells her two more years even though she says she wants it soon. He's not really thinking of her, and that's really a problem.

Archived