Better Call Saul

SeanF

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I’d be terrified to attempt Kim’s and Jimmy’s scams.

and yes, that episode packed a punch.

I'm wondering why Kim wasn't terrified. She knew Lalo was alive. Jimmy lied to him and Lalo had to realize it at some point. So a crazy murdering Salamanca is on the loose... why wouldn't she keep a low profile.

Jimmy wanted to play it safe when he thought he was alive, so I guess she didn't want to play it safe so she kept it from him. But that means... she thinks she can handle him? Jimmy knows better.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

Breaking Bad was the same way.

I don't think so at all - in fact that's kinda why I made the comment.  Starting around Season 3 (and definitely by Season 4), Breaking Bad had a consistence in build and quality episode-to-episode that is hard to match.  And while I love BCS, to me that's the main reason BB is clearly superior.

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Jimmy wanted to play it safe when he thought he was alive, so I guess she didn't want to play it safe so she kept it from him. But that means... she thinks she can handle him? Jimmy knows better.

Well, she was reassured (and flattered) by Mike.  And I think a plausible explanation is she is worried about it (as evidenced by her jamming the door with the chair a few episodes back), but she didn't tell Jimmy because she didn't want it to interfere with their scheme - and her obsession with it is also what distracted her from that worry.

I love this show, but the fact that we already know that Gus has to win, for Breaking Bad to make sense, sort of ruins most of the tension for me. I really think it's going to be impossible to replicate the feeling I had watching seasons 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad.

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

I love this show, but the fact that we already know that Gus has to win, for Breaking Bad to make sense, sort of ruins most of the tension for me. I really think it's going to be impossible to replicate the feeling I had watching seasons 3 and 4 of Breaking Bad.

I'd say the tension is that we have no idea what is going to happen to Kim.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Will be interesting to see how they handle the Howard mess. Does he just disappear? Not sure how they can explain him being killed there without exposing Lalo.

I assume this will be a fixer Mike scenario.

On the wheelchair, this is actually pretty normal for lawyers. They coach you on how to look in front of a judge all the time. In this case Howard probably didn’t think it’d be as easy to explain and get her to do it for pride and honesty reasons, being a sweet old lady, as for politeness to him.

7 hours ago, sifth said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, but I really like how the show is approaching this problem. Most viewers will know that Gus will win, but they have also set up Lalo as a superhuman mastermind killer, which adds threat and actually makes me more interested to see how he gets taken down.. or at least doesn't win.

It does make up for just how impressive Lalo is on the show, he's been doing some Mission Impossible shit thats made me roll my eyes once or twice. 

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, but I really like how the show is approaching this problem. Most viewers will know that Gus will win, but they have also set up Lalo as a superhuman mastermind killer, which adds threat and actually makes me more interested to see how he gets taken down.. or at least doesn't win.

It does make up for just how impressive Lalo is on the show, he's been doing some Mission Impossible shit thats made me roll my eyes once or twice. 

So basically you’re watching to see how Lalo will lose? Makes sense I suppose.

12 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I'm wondering why Kim wasn't terrified. She knew Lalo was alive. Jimmy lied to him and Lalo had to realize it at some point. So a crazy murdering Salamanca is on the loose... why wouldn't she keep a low profile.

Kim faced down Lalo, previously, and likely underestimated how dangerous he is.  And, she's stepped much further over the line into unethical behaviour.

There's a bit in Carlito's Way, why Al Pacino confronts his corrupt attorney, Sean Penn, and tells him he's not a lawyer any more, he's a gangster, and asks him if he has what it takes to survive in that world.  And, I think it's similar now with Jimmy and Kim. Gangsters generally don't kill lawyers, for the same reason, they don't kill cops, it draws too much heat.  But, they'll kill other gangsters.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Kim faced down Lalo, previously, and likely underestimated how dangerous he is.  And, she's stepped much further over the line into unethical behaviour.

There's a bit in Carlito's Way, why Al Pacino confronts his corrupt attorney, Sean Penn, and tells him he's not a lawyer any more, he's a gangster, and asks him if he has what it takes to survive in that world.  And, I think it's similar now with Jimmy and Kim. Gangsters generally don't kill lawyers, for the same reason, they don't kill cops, it draws too much heat.  But, they'll kill other gangsters.

Yeah, that's what I think (in bold) - she figures she can handle Lalo, but Jimmy knows better.

Even if Mike's guy was still watching, which she can't be sure of, that's no certainty against someone like Lalo, she wanted to go back to their normal routine before she heard Lalo was dead, but Jimmy was afraid and wanted to stay in the hotel.

Another thing is that Lalo went down to Mexico to avoid the man hunt for him for killing Fred, and now he is back and he just killed someone else, too. Howard could have perhaps ID-ed him, but Lalo could have waited to come into the condo after he left.

So a series of mistakes in this episode, among Kim, Jimmy, Lalo, and Mike (and it turns out Kim was not really the one to tell Lalo was alive). And the Howard thing, Jimmy didn't really want to do it, but he went along with Kim, trying to please her.

16 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I hit on this before, and maybe I'm just being daft, but I'm not sure why Kim or Saul would think Lalo wanted them dead. He left their apartment seemingly satisfied with Kim's explanation. Then later there was an attempt on his life. What connects the two? Sure Nacho introduced Lalo to Jimmy, but that doesn't seem like proof that Saul was involved with the assault on Lalo's compound. Which of course he wasn't! He doesn't even know Fring's name. He had vague prior knowledge of it because he kept bugging Mike and Mike told him Lalo was being killed.

Of course there'd be some major fear when a murderer walks into your apartment with a gun, but you helped keep him out of jail for life!

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I hit on this before, and maybe I'm just being daft, but I'm not sure why Kim or Saul would think Lalo wanted them dead. He left their apartment seemingly satisfied with Kim's explanation. Then later there was an attempt on his life. What connects the two? Sure Nacho introduced Lalo to Jimmy, but that doesn't seem like proof that Saul was involved with the assault on Lalo's compound. Which of course he wasn't! He doesn't even know Fring's name. He had vague prior knowledge of it because he kept bugging Mike and Mike told him Lalo was being killed.

Of course there'd be some major fear when a murderer walks into your apartment with a gun, but you helped keep him out of jail for life!

I think they’re scared of him because he’s scary in general and Jimmy hasn’t been honest with him. Lalo isn’t there to kill them, or he’d have just done it. He is going to make Jimmy help him against Gus and whatever it is he needs him very scared to get him to do it.

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Lalo found Jimmy's car, riddled with bullets. He knows he lied to him. When he says let's talk, he wants the real story. And they don't want to give it to him, they are in the middle of a cartel war. So they have a very good reason to be afraid.

Just now, Le Cygne said:

Lalo found Jimmy's car, riddled with bullets. He knows he lied to him. When he says let's talk, he wants the real story. And they don't want to give it to him, they are in the middle of a cartel war. So they have a very good reason to be afraid.

But that was before he confronted them the last time. Kim's "vandals did it" is plausible. I don't see how he'd connect that to the assassination attempt. Though these shows do feature characters who I find unbelievably intelligent (gus's spider sense)

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I think they’re scared of him because he’s scary in general and Jimmy hasn’t been honest with him. Lalo isn’t there to kill them, or he’d have just done it. He is going to make Jimmy help him against Gus and whatever it is he needs him very scared to get him to do it.

Yeah I've been trying to think how Jimmy gets him any closer to the laundry, and I can't figure it out. Has to be through Mike. But Lalo has no reason to think Jimmy knows Mike?

Just now, RumHam said:

But that was before he confronted them the last time. Kim's "vandals did it" is plausible. I don't see how he'd connect that to the assassination attempt. Though these shows do feature characters who I find unbelievably intelligent (gus's spider sense)

It's not plausible anymore, though. He knows it's got to be Gus or Bolsa behind the attack on him and then put that together with the bullets in the car and how long it took Jimmy and how scared he was, and he's not buying it anymore.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

It's not plausible anymore, though. He knows it's got to be Gus or Bolsa behind the attack on him and then put that together with the bullets in the car and how long it took Jimmy and how scared he was, and he's not buying it anymore.

I don't agree, it seems too complicated. Remember Saul wasn't working for Gus when he worked to get Lalo out of Jail. Mike helped, but Saul was doing what Lalo asked in getting the money. So there's nothing suspicious there.

Lalo's got to figure out that someone leaked info about the money, leading to an attempted robbery. Also that Gus was so determined to kill him in Mexico that he had someone watching to thwart the robbery. That's not the first thought I would have because of bullets in Saul's car.

But like I said Gus and Walt are already too brilliant for my tastes. They figure lots of stuff out that I don't think any real person would be able to in that situation.

Well, Jimmy was afraid after Kim told that story to Lalo... Jimmy knew it was flimsy and Lalo would figure it out. And he did. Jimmy was scared to death after Lalo left, they went to the hotel and he wanted to stay under cover until he found out he was dead.

It was a flimsy story, she did her lawyer act on him, but it didn't hold up at all. Lalo is not stupid, and then he found out someone with a lot of power was out to get him, and it's very reasonable that he would link that to Jimmy's flimsy story about his car.

Also about the characters being smart, they actually make a lot of mistakes, that is their undoing, as we are seeing (and saw with Walt, too).

Archived