Better Call Saul

SeanF

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Since they are doing a BB marathon leading up to the premiere of BCS I figure I'll bump this thread. Caught a little of one ep today to wet my whistle.

Yes me too.  The Tuco episodes, back when you could still sort of root for Walt, he was certainly the much lesser evil there.

20 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:
Spoiler

I’m just happy that they got Lalo out of the way. The only suspense of the series for several years has been Kim and Jimmy. 

Hard disagree with the first part! He was great. This is a prequel and like...suspense isn't the point? It's a character study, not a murder mystery.

That said the show has totally built suspense. it's just moment to moment. "will he get the car back in time or pull up to an angry howard" 

Spoiler

I don't think any of us really thought Kim was going to kill or be killed this episode. It was still suspenseful. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hard disagree with the first part! He was great. This is a prequel and like...suspense isn't the point? It's a character study, not a murder mystery.

That said the show has totally built suspense. it's just moment to moment. "will he get the car back in time or pull up to an angry howard" 

Hide contents

I don't think any of us really thought Kim was going to kill or be killed this episode. It was still suspenseful. 

I wasn’t clear, and maybe should have said the Gus storyline. I thought Lalo was awesome, but I think what happens between Jimmy and Kim before Breaking Bad is the most important and suspenseful part of the story. It’s what I’m most interested in. 

Spoiler

After he kicks Gus down the stairs, why does Lalo reload? He'd fired once but had plenty of time to reload after that.  

It was fine, I guess. Just dwarfed by the magnitude of Jimmy throwing kim under the murderer bus. 

I was sad to hear they'd re-cast the cabbie who recognized "gene." The original actor had that air of potential menace down. 

Great episode. 

@RumHam 

Spoiler

He never reloaded up to that point. He fired five shots killing the guards and one shot into Fring's kevlar.  Apparently he's using an HK P7 which holds 15 rounds, so he should have 9 left.  Unless this was the same magazine he'd used since killing those coyotes transporting Mexicans and never topped it up (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if he thought he might end up in a shootout), he was signalling to Gus that his death would involve Lalo emptying a full magazine into him, which sounds like a very cartel thing. Or maybe a very Salamanca thing.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

It was fine, I guess. Just dwarfed by the magnitude of Jimmy throwing kim under the murderer bus. 

Spoiler

That wasn't how i read his actions. He was telling her to get out, and get away. Certainly didnt expect Kim to shoot anyone.

36 minutes ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

That wasn't how i read his actions. He was telling her to get out, and get away. Certainly didnt expect Kim to shoot anyone.

Spoiler

Yeah I don’t think that Jimmy expected Kim to be willing to kill to save his life. 

Agreed with @Relic and @Mark Antony.

Spoiler

Kim even says it explicitly, that he wanted her to get away. He surely did not expect her to actually try and do it, though. I'm not entirely sure what that says about her, about him, and about their relationship in general -- need to process a bit more, because it's actually a super interesting moment in that regard.

Lalo, we hardly knew ye.

One of the best characters to come out of BB/BCS and I hope Dalton's career reflects this going forward.

Fuck Kim.  I'm apparently one of the few, maybe the only person who no longer roots for her to get out unscathed, but I already know, based on how the showrunners still talk about her character that she will have a Pinkman type ending. 

Spoiler

Agreed it was clear Jimmy was just trying to get Kim out of there.  Seemed pretty obvious to even Lalo, which is the more interesting thing to me.  Clearly, Lalo did not expect Jimmy or Kim to be successful, which explains why he didn't care which one went.  However, his plan was contingent on them actually trying to go through with it, or at least showing up at Gus' place in order to (again) peel men off the laundromat.  Are we to assume Lalo tailed her to ensure this happened?  Cuz otherwise it seems like quite the leap of faith for Lalo to rely on her even going to Gus' (as opposed to, ya know, the cops, which she almost did).

I also thought the conversation between Mike and Gus after the fact was interesting.  After getting played by Lalo multiple times I expected Mike to actually show compunction/apologize, but instead he admonishes Gus for "playing detective" and risking his life.  Which is true, but still...

Anyway, I've always thought there should be more reasoning for why Mike sticks with Gus (almost) to the bitter end.  I suppose that conversation helps in that regard, but I want more!

5 hours ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Jimmy was protecting Kim. You could see it in the looks they gave each other. I thought the unspoken dialog between them went like this, as I was watching:

Jimmy: Go save yourself, I can handle this!

Kim: No, I can't let this happen to you!

Jimmy: Go!

Kim: OK (but I'm still going to try to save you)!

Here's the writer of the episode:

Spoiler

I think he knows whoever stays in this place dies. However it plays out, he just thinks there’s no chance, and if he leaves Kim here with Lalo, she’s dead. I think he’s just, like, “Get out. I don’t care where you go. You go to the cops, that’s fine.” I think it’s a testament to how much Kim loves him that she makes it all the way to that door with a gun in her hand. Whether she could pull that trigger, I don’t know. I don’t know if she knows. It’s a situation of, “I don’t have to make a decision until the door is open,” and you just push those terrible decisions off as long as you possibly can. I think she made it way further than Jimmy would have expected.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/better-call-saul-point-shoot-writer-interview-1378877/

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Lalo, we hardly knew ye.

One of the best characters to come out of BB/BCS and I hope Dalton's career reflects this going forward.

Fuck Kim.  I'm apparently one of the few, maybe the only person who no longer roots for her to get out unscathed, but I already know, based on how the showrunners still talk about her character that she will have a Pinkman type ending. 

Kim was sympathetic in this episode.  It’s her fault she’s in this predicament, but she’s not a killer.

Oh Lalo.  You should have remembered Tuco’s advice, in The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

”When you have to shoot, shoot, don’t talk.”

Especially, when your intended victim used to kill for Pinochet.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Kim was sympathetic in this episode.  It’s her fault she’s in this predicament, but she’s not a killer.

Sure she is.  It's her fault Howard is dead, his blood is on her hands, if not for her scam he would be alive.  She also basically told Jimmy to grow a pair and be a friend of the cartel, and this allowed Lalo to enter their lives in a different way.  I understand that Kim is still sympathetic to probably 98% of the audience, but not me.  She is an awful person whose awfulness has been masked because she gets off playing god and helping out the poors from time to time when she's not sticking it to whomever she deems unworthy, or getting innocent people killed for kicks.

Archived