Jump to content

Better Call Saul


SeanF
 Share

Recommended Posts

What's really stunning is not that he's acting out as Saul, but how stupid it was. That isn't really like him. He hired a 2nd-story man to do the burglary precisely so that he doesn't get caught no matter what happens. But the guy with the dog backs out and now he's volunteered himself? And not only that but the target has been out hours and may wake up. So he's beyond acting out and is spiraling.

The Kim thing fits. But also the guy making a moral stand might have triggered him due to his father. There's an old episode where he saw his father as a weakling.

The situation is somewhat like when Walter White insisted on Lydia's plan to use the Nazis to kill Mike's guys in prison. Although that plan wasn't dumb, just evil. But the insistence on the rob the cancer guy plan going forward at all costs.

 

Edited by Martell Spy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I can’t find one where it isn’t removed, do you have a working link?

Not anymore ,no. I'll briefly paraphrase in the spoiler box below 

Spoiler

Basically, he speaks with Kim and she tells him to turn himself in. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's more from the audio:

Spoiler

I think she may be thinking about turning herself in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsz_fFGvus

The you didn't worry about me (before) bit, he may be referring to when she didn't tell him about Lalo being alive before, the writer of the episode mentioned that's still bugging him.

 

Edited by Le Cygne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely believe it is not about the money. Even if he didn't have the diamonds squared away somewhere, I guess he could just sell his story to a publisher and break the bank. I mean imagine if you are a publisher right, the way Saul/Jimmy can talk and the things he has seen/done, it could be the book of the century.

I must admit I didn't particularly enjoy the episode. The Breaking Bad cameos were kind of limited, but okay I didn't mind that, I did however particularly dislike not hearing Kim's side of the conversation. I feel like that's a bit of a narrative cheat they usually avoided. That being said, I do think this episode has greatly moved the plot forward.

Jimmy is certainly spiraling into his old persona again now that Kim seems to have rejected him. I also thought that this episode set up a clear endgame for Jimmy (although the video shared by @Le Cygne and the statement of the writer about a new persona appearing makes me doubt again) in the sense that I believe now that Jeff's mother is going to do him in. She's clearly getting suspicious and having taught her how to find cat videos, it is not unlikely she'll be able to make Jimmy and report him to the cops if she believes he's taking her son of the straight and narrow path. 

I also wonder about Bill Oakley becoming a defense attorney. He's been a bit too much of a fool for him to be taken seriously as an attorney for Saul (and alas he doesn't look like Jimmy enough for a switcheroo) but given the video shared by Le Cygne

Spoiler

I could see a version of this story that doesn't end in a pedestrian fashion with Gene's scamming spiraling out of control, Jeff's mother discovering his true identity and him getting caught by the police where Kim visits him in prison and Bill is his attorney (maybe, for that latter prediction I don't know enough about the US judicial system).

On the other hand, if Kim actually does turn herself in, I can imagine that we end with a more outlandish plot with a new persona being born and him trying to scheme her out of prison.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The last two episodes were kinda tough to watch for someone whose BB and early BCS memories are blurred. Like, who the fuck is Bill Oakley, and when did Saul and Jeffy met. And what is this laser game stuff about.

It does motivate to rewatch the whole thing though.

perhaps the most confusing thing is: If I start a rewatch of BB and BCS, should I start with the main show, or with the prequel-then-sequel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Veltigar that is interesting and I thought that as well, that Marion might turn in Gene, but she seems pretty smart and I was just thinking if she did, she knows Jeffy would get in trouble, too (and she knows he got in trouble in the past, too).

I was listening to this video again for some clues about what's to come, and it seems like they are pretty into the Kim and Jimmy story, so that call and where they go from there seems like it may figure in pretty importantly in the episodes to come.

Edited by Le Cygne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

@Veltigar that is interesting and I thought that as well, that Marion might turn in Gene, but she seems pretty smart and I was just thinking if she did, she knows Jeffy would get in trouble, too (and she knows he got in trouble in the past, too).

If she gave up Jimmy in return for immunity for Jeff, there is no prosecutor in the world who would not take that deal.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

I was listening to this video again for some clues about what's to come, and it seems like they are pretty into the Kim and Jimmy story, so that call and where they go from there seems like it may figure in pretty importantly in the episodes to come.

I think that is really obvious from the fact they obscured her end of the conversation. The end will definitely give us clarity on their relationship, that much I am sure off.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I can totally see Gilligan and Odenkirk falling in love with the idea of Jimmy/Saul being taken down by Carol Burnett.

Yeah, you would think that Carol Burnett would have some more significant impact on the story...but the show is very, very good at surprises that are grounded in the characters and story.

I think the fans hoping for Jimmy and Kim to get back together and live happily ever after are 1) stupid and 2) not getting that wish.  But I expect the ending is going to be much more positive than I believe either deserves because they are in love with both characters, especially Kim.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, you would think that Carol Burnett would have some more significant impact on the story...but the show is very, very good at surprises that are grounded in the characters and story.

I think the fans hoping for Jimmy and Kim to get back together and live happily ever after are 1) stupid and 2) not getting that wish.  But I expect the ending is going to be much more positive than I believe either deserves because they are in love with both characters, especially Kim.  

 

Not all endings have to be bleak and wretched

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Not all endings have to be bleak and wretched

True.  The question for the audience is, do Jimmy and Kim deserve a happy ending. 

I realize I am in the minority, but I would say no.  Jimmy has had a gazillion chances and always chooses to grift.  He's also at this point accessory to multiple murders as well as all of his other frauds and drug related crimes.  And so is Kim, at the least is an accessory to the murder of Howard not to mention all the crimes and fraud she has committed over the seasons.

They are both bad people who have repeatedly chosen to do bad and enjoyed it.  Again, I get that most want as happy an ending as possible, but I want to see some pay back and justice for all the wrongs they committed.  I don't expect to get the ending I want, and I'm resigned to that.

Edited by Cas Stark
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I think Kim does and Jimmy doesn't, which is what I expect.

How happy?

Kim living a working class quiet life at the sprinkler company, keeping herself in check, I'm fine with it.  Kim deciding to practice law again, no way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

True.  The question for the audience is, do Jimmy and Kim deserve a happy ending. 

I realize I am in the minority, but I would say no.  Jimmy has had a gazillion chances and always chooses to grift.  He's also at this point accessory to multiple murders as well as all of his other frauds and drug related crimes.  And so is Kim, at the least is an accessory to the murder of Howard not to mention all the crimes and fraud she has committed over the seasons.

They are both bad people who have repeatedly chosen to do bad and enjoyed it.  Again, I get that most want as happy an ending as possible, but I want to see some pay back and justice for all the wrongs they committed.  I don't expect to get the ending I want, and I'm resigned to that.

“Use every man after his desert and who should ‘scape a whipping?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, SeanF said:

“Use every man after his desert and who should ‘scape a whipping?”

Yeah, I prefer Shakespeare over fire and brimstone.

The quality of mercy is not strain'd.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes.

Edited by Le Cygne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...