How rich are the Leffords since they control golden tooth?

Mrstrategy

15 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

How rich are the Leffords since they control golden tooth and have their own gold mines?

There is a possibility that Leffords don't own those goldmines. Or those are under direct control of Lannisters. After all we know that gold from the Tooth helped establish house Lannister as one of the richest houses in Westeros. (My source https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Tooth ). That seems to indicate that Lannisters keep most of gold produced in those mines. 

Yeah, AGOT's appendix suggest that the Golden Tooth is held by the Leffords, but the gold that is mined ther belongs to the Lannisters.

And in any case, the Golden Tooth have been under the control of the Lannisters/Leffords for millennia. I don't think we are supposed to assume that there is a continuous and significant never-ending stream of gold coming from a single mountain.

1 hour ago, The hairy bear said:

Yeah, AGOT's appendix suggest that the Golden Tooth is held by the Leffords, but the gold that is mined ther belongs to the Lannisters.

And in any case, the Golden Tooth have been under the control of the Lannisters/Leffords for millennia. I don't think we are supposed to assume that there is a continuous and significant never-ending stream of gold coming from a single mountain.

GRRM has confirmed that CR still has gold in the books, and it's been continuously mined for thousands of years. I don't know if the Leffords still have gold but it's entirely possible they are still mining it.

I didn't want to suggest otherwise.

But when you mine, you obviously start with the gold that is more easily available in the surface. When that one is over, you will start digging, looking for the gold veins that are bigger or more accessible. I was only saying that after thousands of years of extracting gold, the one that is left must be difficult to get. And therefore, I'd imagine that the influx of gold is not immensely huge.

The idea that was presented in the show (that all the gold had been exhausted and the Lannisters were keeping it secret) it's nonsense.

19 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

There is a possibility that Leffords don't own those goldmines. Or those are under direct control of Lannisters. After all we know that gold from the Tooth helped establish house Lannister as one of the richest houses in Westeros. (My source https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Golden_Tooth ). That seems to indicate that Lannisters keep most of gold produced in those mines. 

That is from a long, long time ago,  and said arrangement would be very irregular. The Leffords pay taxes surely, but those mines are without a doubt theirs at this point unless there is something very different in arrangements from the entire rest of westeros.

The Leffords are probably in the top 25 of wealthy houses in Westeros; if the Freys are wealthy from their toll of the KR to the North/from the North, then the lords of the pass from to the west are very wealthy indeed, on top of their mines.

Rich as fuck is the wordage I'm going to use here. They have two of the big 5 ways to be wealthy as a house in Westeros:

1. Owns valuable chunk of land
2. Key strategic position/tollroad/pass (BEEP)
3. Lords of one of the largest settlements/cities in the realm
4. Gold/silver mines or luxury goods en masse for trade (BEEP)
5. Is lord to a large number of vassals and can tax them

Probably qualify for no 1 as well.

Archived