LØkI, a TVA/Disney+ series [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

7 hours ago, john MCG said:

I was thinking it might end by showing we’d been in an enchantment in Loki’s head ever since Sylvia grabbed him in the mining hut.

I did wonder that as well for a while, Loki confiding in her about his mother was a bit reminiscent of the earlier scene where Sylvie was interrogating the TVA agent. It would have made the episode a bit pointless so probably good they didn't do that.

16 minutes ago, felice said:

It's a long shot, sure, but given their situation, they've got a limited range of alternatives!

From the limited information they have it does seem the best opportunity to get the necessary power.

It was fortunate they got thrown off the train within walking distance of the ship.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't think they knew exactly the ship was going to be destroyed. Since the entire moon is wiped out, there may not detailed records of how everything went down.

I'm pretty sure after the time tablet broke she mentioned the Arc never made it off the planet, and Loki suggests something to the effect of "they never had us commanding it!" She didn't seem to know the details of how it was destroyed though, otherwise she wouldn't have been trying to board it moments before a fragment of planet blew it up.

The idea that they could commandeer the ship and lead it off the planet safely without knowing exactly when and how it was destroyed  was pretty arrogant/stupid/risky. But as Felice said they didn't have a lot of options. 

Except Asguardians can survive in the vacuum of space, and if Loki can fling a building with ease he can lift them both off the moon. Though Loki isn't really even an Asgardian! (why isn't he blue? If Odin was making him white that should not be in effect anymore after Odin's death yet he never turns blue!) 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I'm pretty sure after the time tablet broke she mentioned the Arc never made it off the planet, and Loki suggests something to the effect of "they never had us commanding it!" She didn't seem to know the details of how it was destroyed though, otherwise she wouldn't have been trying to board it moments before a fragment of planet blew it up.

The idea that they could commandeer the ship and lead it off the planet safely without knowing exactly when and how it was destroyed  was pretty arrogant/stupid/risky. But as Felice said they didn't have a lot of options. 

Except Asguardians can survive in the vacuum of space, and if Loki can fling a building with ease he can lift them both off the moon. Though Loki isn't really even an Asgardian! (why isn't he blue? If Odin was making him white that should not be in effect anymore after Odin's death yet he never turns blue!) 

Survive space, maybe. Fling themselves far enough away to defeat the planet's gravity and survive the collision? umm... umm... I mean I know it's a comic book.

Was Odin maintaining Loki's appearance, or was it a permanent enchantment, only temporarily broken by his contact with the frost giants? Even if it required constant maintaining, Loki can do it himself. He transformed himself into Odin, after all.

As stated in the episode, Loki doesn't have a plan. He has something to do, and kind of wings it from there. He's basically the Archer of the MCU. 

Loki isn't blue because he doesn't want to be. 

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Survive space, maybe. Fling themselves far enough away to defeat the planet's gravity and survive the collision? umm... umm... I mean I know it's a comic book.

I mean I certainly would have tried! But yeah I wasn't really thinking about escaping the explosion. Mostly I'm just baffled where this extremely powerful telekinesis came from.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Was Odin maintaining Loki's appearance, or was it a permanent enchantment, only temporarily broken by his contact with the frost giants?

I dunno, I think it's just one of those underthought things in the MCU. 

17 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Even if it required constant maintaining, Loki can do it himself. He transformed himself into Odin, after all.

Not at the TVA headquarters he can't.

17 minutes ago, Kal Corp said:

As stated in the episode, Loki doesn't have a plan. He has something to do, and kind of wings it from there. He's basically the Archer of the MCU. 

Now you've got me trying to cast H. John Benjamin in the MCU. I love that man.

18 minutes ago, Kal Corp said:

Loki isn't blue because he doesn't want to be. 

One of them self hating blues, I guess. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Mostly I'm just baffled where this extremely powerful telekinesis came from.

He's demonstrated telekinesis before.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Not at the TVA headquarters he can't.

He's capable of real shapeshifting, not just illusion. Inside the TVA he's stuck in his current form, whatever that might be. I suspect he instinctively shapeshifted to asgardian as an infant when Odin found him after the giants abandoned him.

8 minutes ago, felice said:

He's capable of real shapeshifting, not just illusion. Inside the TVA he's stuck in his current form, whatever that might be. I suspect he instinctively shapeshifted to asgardian as an infant when Odin found him after the giants abandoned him.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with them, but you should win a no-prize for the latter explanation. 

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I wondered if the pad was already keyed into an apocalypse from Mobius and Loki’s theory, and so that whole thing basically acted as a plot device to ensure the TVA couldn’t find them: everybody dies and so there can’t be any divergent timelines. 

Yeah as someone else said its explicit in the episode that the TemPad was preprogrammed with the apocalypse destinations and Sylvie says "this is the worst, no one makes it off" but to my mind that didn't mean he wasn't trying. He doesn't know the ark doesnt make it off until after they're thrown off the train, so he could have thought the disruption on the train would prevent some people from making it to the ark, and thus cause some nexus variance or whatever the hell its called.

I'm also with whoever it was that commented the falling tower looked more like a time rewind rather than telekinesis. Its not just that it goes back into the air, simply lifting the pieces back up like that would have seen it fall again immediately - but it looked fixed I thought, which might not take more telekinetic power but it certainly would take a lot more finesse that he didnt seem to have in the moment. I thought it looked a lot more like the time reversal in Dr Strange. Maybe he did palm a time stone at some point.

3 hours ago, felice said:

But never on that scale, right? Just like tossing furniture around when he was angry? I'm aware I'm nit picking but it's a little weird to me that the guy who tricks people can also force choke them or throw a building at them. Plus as I said before if he can do that he should be able to fly. This is the guy who was falling for thirty minutes and once fell off the rainbow bridge. 

I chalk it up to inconsistent writing. Along the lines of how Thor doesn't get his powers from the hammer in Ragnorok in but somehow Captain America does in Endgame. 

3 hours ago, felice said:

So then Sylvie and those other Loki Variants could all just be frost giants shapeshifting like a Skrull? Do the frost giants have the ability to do that...? 

I'm so unclear on how magic works and if say The Ancient One and Loki are doing the same stuff. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

But never on that scale, right? Just like tossing furniture around when he was angry? I'm aware I'm nit picking but it's a little weird to me that the guy who tricks people can also force choke them or throw a building at them. Plus as I said before if he can do that he should be able to fly.

It's not a building, just a piece of one, and it doesn't get fixed, just thrown back in the direction it came from to vanish in the clouds of dust. More like tossing a car than a building. Growing up surrounded by powerful Asgardians would have taught him to prefer trickery even if he could far outmatch an ordinary human in a physical fight. And it's common in SF/F for telekinesis not to allow flight: maybe the magic works by moving things in relation to his body, so "flying" would require moving the planet. Or maybe his control over it isn't precise enough - he could shove himself into the air, but would then start falling and need to shove himself away from the ground again and again, which doesn't sound like a pleasant or easy way to travel.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I chalk it up to inconsistent writing. Along the lines of how Thor doesn't get his powers from the hammer in Ragnorok in but somehow Captain America does in Endgame.

Mjolnir might not be the source of Thor's power, but it is a conduit for that power.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

So then Sylvie and those other Loki Variants could all just be frost giants shapeshifting like a Skrull? Do the frost giants have the ability to do that...?

I think it's specific to Loki (and his variants). It seems plausible that the frost giant royal line has a particular affinity for magic (that would have contributed to them ending up in a position of power in the first place), and Loki was born physically weak (by giant standards) but strong in magical potential.

Watching the sequence with the falling building again, he clearly reverses it. So either it's supreme mastery of telekinesis abilities (after all Loki can dupli-cast ;)) or he reversed it, likely because he has a time stone on him, like someone suggested above. 

On 6/24/2021 at 11:04 PM, RumHam said:

I do not get why this is an inconsistency.  Thor's powers are his.  Odin tells him the hammer is a way to focus it. 

The inscription clearly states, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".  So it can channel Thor's innate power, or bestow similar powers onto someone else.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I do not get why this is an inconsistency.  Thor's powers are his.  Odin tells him the hammer is a way to focus it. 

The inscription clearly states, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor".  So it can channel Thor's innate power, or bestow similar powers onto someone else.

Yeah, I guess when you put it that way it makes sense. I imagine this will come up in Love and Thunder:

There are set pictures of Portman at a memorial where Odin died and the shards of the hammer are on display there and she has some kind of reaction to them.

10 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Am I the only one who kept thinking they’d kiss ?

There's definitely chemistry there yeah. And it kinda makes sense given his personality that Loki would be into Loki

Gotta say, the existence of Sylvie, who to be who she is must have split off from the timeline really early unless she is actually someone else, suggests the TVA is nowhere near as good at pruning branches as they claim they are. Like the implication is that variants get picked up and timelines pruned in minutes or hours, but her story differs from mainline Loki by... well, the length of life of Asgardians is kind of skated over but it'd have to be hundreds of years. 

I wonder if that's her motivation - her timeline did cross 'redline' and got full-fledged but the TVA, or whoever is the timekeepers really, somehow trimmed it anyway.

The obvious way to go would be: Sylvie is from a branch timeline that got pruned but somehow she escaped/got smuggled out before the TVA cleaned it up, probably by her mother, and has been on the run ever since.

Sylvie says that when she was in agent C-20's head, she had to dig deep for a memory that was hundreds of years ago. Considering that the memory indicated modern times, no older than the 70s I think, I wondered what her frame of reference was when she said hundreds of years. If she was using 2077, knowing when Lamentis-I is destroyed, that's only about 100 years. But if she was using her own, native time as the frame of reference, then Sylvie is from the future. I maintain she is Loki's daughter. 

Archived