LØkI, a TVA/Disney+ series [SPOILERS]

Corvinus85

We also learned the name of Lady Loki, and I believe that makes her

Spoiler

Loki's daughter. Awkward...

The episode had good banter, and what we assumed about the TVA workers was confirmed, but yes not much else.

Yeah that was good but over so quick. 

I'm picturing a later cold open set in like 1996. Owen Wilson is in Florida on his way to work when he is in a minor car accident and decides "fuck it, I'm quitting my job to pursue my dream of Jet Ski ownership!" Then just as he's about to start up his new Jet Ski the TVA appears and grabs him :(

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Yeah that was good but over so quick. 

I'm picturing a later cold open set in like 1996. Owen Wilson is in Florida on his way to work when he is in a minor car accident and decides "fuck it, I'm quitting my job to pursue my dream of Jet Ski ownership!" Then just as he's about to start up his new Jet Ski the TVA appears and grabs him :(

If that's the case, then the TVA truly are tyrannical. 

Hmm … that was a step down. Basically an episode of Doctor Who where nothing actually happened. I still don’t follow how this person is a Loki; she has a different mother, therefore potentially a different father, a different name and a different personality. Would it have killed them to dye her hair black, at least make her look like a Loki?

It was incredibly like the modern Doctor Who. Instead of a sonic screwdriver Loki uses magic for any plot fix. At one point he pushes back a massive falling tower with what I assume was some form of telekinesis, but he can’t even magic up a pair of train tickets. At least they showed him being relatively handy in a fight this time.

If Sylvie is Loki she’s a variant from way back, like childhood, but they were very reluctant to say anything about her life other than that she was adopted. Not even confirmed she’s from Asgard. At the very least she’s a blend of the Sylvie enchantress character, having taught herself enchantment.

Also, they were keen to point out that they’re both bisexual but no mention of gender switching, sounds like Sylvie’s been female since childhood.

46 minutes ago, john MCG said:

It was incredibly like the modern Doctor Who. Instead of a sonic screwdriver Loki uses magic for any plot fix. At one point he pushes back a massive falling tower with what I assume was some form of telekinesis, but he can’t even magic up a pair of train tickets. At least they showed him being relatively handy in a fight this time.

If Sylvie is Loki she’s a variant from way back, like childhood, but they were very reluctant to say anything about her life other than that she was adopted. Not even confirmed she’s from Asgard. At the very least she’s a blend of the Sylvie enchantress character, having taught herself enchantment.

Also, they were keen to point out that they’re both bisexual but no mention of gender switching, sounds like Sylvie’s been female since childhood.

Well, Loki in Norse mythology is the mother of Odin’s horse Sliepnir.  Loki changes into female appearance quite readily.  Loki is Loki.

1 hour ago, john MCG said:

I don't know where that power came from. I mean if you can magically lift a building, you can lift yourself and fly. Has he just not figured that out?

The train tickets he just messed up because he was drunk. 

An absolute middle of a series episode. Not too strong, not too weak. A couple nice action sequences. Some character exposition that will likely play into the final episodes.  I was, frankly, surprised it ended the way it did...

Spoiler

I expected Loki to reveal the real time thingamajig and that he was playing Lady Loki the whole time trying to learn more from her...

The ep had some truly gorgeous sequences. All those explosions throughout and the wild futuristic urban cgi sets had to have cost a whole hell of a lot of money. Except, well,  nothing happened really? 

After my disappointment the first two series, I thought this one would be amazing. Other than Hiddleston (and his foil this ep, who was quite good I thought), I find myself very bored overall. 

Gonna be optimistic and hope the final three episodes ramp up, big time.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't know where that power came from. I mean if you can magically lift a building, you can lift yourself and fly. Has he just not figured that out?

The train tickets he just messed up because he was drunk. 

Honestly that was so absurd that it didn’t even occur to me at the time that it was him. There wasn’t a shot of his face straining at something so I thought it would reveal some crazy gravity thing had stopped it. Why are they struggling at all with that kind of power? Just move every man and building aside like the Red Sea and walk casually to the ship.

I’m hoping next weeks opens with Loki openly wondering what happened there, maybe another Loki variant who does have that magic saved him?

That falling tower looked like it reversed in time back to upright. Did Loki palm the time stone from Casey's drawer back in episode 1?

Best theory I wouldn't mind being true... Casey is a Thanos variant who has been inundated with inert Infinity Stones since he joined the TVA. Or, Casey was a fisherman.

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

An absolute middle of a series episode. Not too strong, not too weak. A couple nice action sequences. Some character exposition that will likely play into the final episodes.  I was, frankly, surprised it ended the way it did...

Reveal hidden contents

I expected Loki to reveal the real time thingamajig and that he was playing Lady Loki the whole time trying to learn more from her...

I was thinking it might end by showing we’d been in an enchantment in Loki’s head ever since Sylvia grabbed him in the mining hut.

I assumed he was trying to somehow cause enough of a disruption to get the attention of the TVA, and that the tempad was maybe wrecked from the start. The train disturbance looked intentional.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I assumed he was trying to somehow cause enough of a disruption to get the attention of the TVA, and that the tempad was maybe wrecked from the start. The train disturbance looked intentional.

I wondered if the pad was already keyed into an apocalypse from Mobius and Loki’s theory, and so that whole thing basically acted as a plot device to ensure the TVA couldn’t find them: everybody dies and so there can’t be any divergent timelines. 

Mobius should still be able to find them though, as he knows about the apocalypse trick, and essentially has all the time in the world to check every one until he found them because time travel.

Can we take a minute and appreciate how stupid the Lokis final plan was? "Maybe if we take control of the ship, it won't be destroyed!" Like if they had managed to get to the ship a few minutes earlier they'd be dead. If they had succeeded then it's no longer a TVA blind spot and the TVA immediately appears to apprehend them, presumably with more than the three guards they ran away from originally. 

I did love the final shot of all the despair and Sylvie just silently walking away. 

10 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I wondered if the pad was already keyed into an apocalypse from Mobius and Loki’s theory, and so that whole thing basically acted as a plot device to ensure the TVA couldn’t find them: everybody dies and so there can’t be any divergent timelines. 

Yes, it was. I think it's mentioned in the episode, and Sylvie despairs when she sees the planet. So she has programmed the pad to key in to a bunch of apocalypses, and Loki accidently selected Lamentis-I.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Can we take a minute and appreciate how stupid the Lokis final plan was? "Maybe if we take control of the ship, it won't be destroyed!" Like if they had managed to get to the ship a few minutes earlier they'd be dead. If they had succeeded then it's no longer a TVA blind spot and the TVA immediately appears to apprehend them, presumably with more than the three guards they ran away from originally. 

I don't think they knew exactly the ship was going to be destroyed. Since the entire moon is wiped out, there may not detailed records of how everything went down.

Initially I thought we were going to get an interesting paradox. They use the ship's power to juice up the TempPad and escape, which prevents the ship from escaping, as per the historical record, thus making these two variants part of the meant-to-happen timeline. But it didn't go that way.

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Mobius should still be able to find them though, as he knows about the apocalypse trick, and essentially has all the time in the world to check every one until he found them because time travel.

I assume the TVA and rogue variants operate on linked timelines; they have to find the variant at the point in their life which matches the TVA's present, because if they capture or kill an earlier version of the variant, they're just creating a new variant.

20 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Can we take a minute and appreciate how stupid the Lokis final plan was? "Maybe if we take control of the ship, it won't be destroyed!"

It's a long shot, sure, but given their situation, they've got a limited range of alternatives!

Archived