The future of Catholicism

Darzin

11 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

The early church did not accept that Jesus was divine. That is why they fought over doctrine and the winners, hundreds of years later, came up with the idea of the Trinity as an answer to awkward questions. The Emperors of Rome were already considered to be divine, so they needed to one up it. 

I learned four essential lessons in kindergarten.

1. Be aware of your surroundings: got my finger caught in a door.
  2. Accidents have consequences: I didn't mean to hit that kid in the face with the wiffleball bat.
  3. There are limits to things: while a big jump when sledding is fun, that doesn't mean you should build the biggest one possible.
  4. People lie: Telephone, a simple game for children.

And really, religion is just one giant game of telephone. 

23 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

The early church did not accept that Jesus was divine. That is why they fought over doctrine and the winners, hundreds of years later, came up with the idea of the Trinity as an answer to awkward questions. The Emperors of Rome were already considered to be divine, so they needed to one up it. 

That's inaccurate.  Yes for centuries the eastern and western church grappled and argued over whether the Son partook fully of the nature of the Father.  Arianism, the dominate system that said Jesus did not, persisted for a very long time, particularly among the varieties of Gothic groups surrounding, entering and within both eastern and western empires. There were many synods, symposisiums, etc., organized east and west to resolve these arguments and conflicting ideas, though the resolutions, whatever they came too, including the Trinity, have never been accepted by all Christians everywhere, even today.

See the misconceptions around the statement that the early church did not believe Jesus was God -- for which the terrible stupid novel the Da Vinci Code is responsible for this misapprehension arising again, along with Ehrman's paperback following.  There's a whole lot declared in that novel that simply is not and was not true, historically speaking, which real scholars of Christianity have felt the need to refute.

https://bellatorchristi.com/2016/03/16/book-review-of-how-god-became-jesus/

In other words, yes, in 2021 people are still in conflict over these matters! 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I will not stand for this slander.  Just because god got Maria pregnant does not mean there was any sexual assault.  Based on the documentary Dogma, when Alannis Morissette-as-god impregnates Linda Fiorentino, there's barely any contact at all.  Unfortunately.

Well it kinda does.

We haven't talked about the role of your predecessors in the infantcide under Governor Herod, have we? If the three wise men, hadn't told Governor Herod, that he would eventually lose to Jesús, he wouldn't have gone on to kill all the infants in his attempt to kill Jesús in the crib (so to speak). Who makes such predictions, pol.-sci. and pollsters (shifting demographics d'uh). So the three wise men, were basically the three Nates. Silver, Cohn and DMC (this forum's Nate, as I have pointed out before) of their time.

Archived