Elden Ring Release Date and Trailer

Westeros

Elden Ring, a game from Dark Souls-developer FromSoftware whose world and story was created in collaboration with George R. R. Martin, now has a release date: January 21st, 2022.  A trailer was also revealed showing some of the gameplay and the amazing environment and character design that FromSoftware is famous for:

The game was first announced this month two years ago, and Hidetaka Miyazaki sat for an interview that discussed just how and why GRRM got involved (TL;DR: he’s a fan of his work from well before A Song of Ice and Fire).

View the full article

Visually and gameplay-wise, it looks an awful lot like a hypothetical Dark Souls 4 might look. I'm really excited to see what GRRM's influence is (though since he's so good at writing dialog I'm hoping the game has more traditional cutscenes than From games usually do), but I was hoping the game itself was going to go in some new direction for From.

Either way though, I'm looking forward to starting the game and eventually rage-quitting around the 16 hour mark.

6 hours ago, sifth said:

Well it's a FromSoftware game, so most of the story will be told in item descriptions I imagine, lol

Still these games are rather fun to play with friends.

Oh I know it. I'm just saying, it feels like a waste of GRRM if all he's getting a chance to do is create some background lore. Granted, maybe he didn't spend that much time on the project. But if that's the case, the marketing with his name front and center feels deceptive.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Oh I know it. I'm just saying, it feels like a waste of GRRM if all he's getting a chance to do is create some background lore. Granted, maybe he didn't spend that much time on the project. But if that's the case, the marketing with his name front and center feels deceptive.

I mean I said that when the game was announced. FromSoftware has always been about creating their worlds first and their stories second. Still I look forward to playing this game. I was able to keep myself sane last year during lock down by playing Bloodborn, Darks 3, 1 and 2, in that order, with 3 of my close friends. We want to play Demon Souls as well, but only 2 of us have a PS5.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

When I asked George's team about the project when the news first broke a couple of years back, they were somewhat baffled and then remembered it was something they worked on quite a few years earlier and involved a flurry of brainstorming emails, some lore-building and a few meetings (From staff flew to Santa Fe and spent a few days throwing ideas around with him). It did not sound like something that massive amounts of time had been dedicated to, but it wasn't just him looking at a document and going, "looks good" and cashing a cheque to put his name on it.

I think George created a few concepts and ideas which became central to the game (I have a feeling - my speculation here - that the Irish mythology inspiration might have come from him) which is why they've put his name up front and centre, even if he wasn't in Japan working on the game with the developers for months on end.

1 hour ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

It looks fun! I'll have to get around on playing Bloodborne and Sekiro before this comes out :)  I really loved playing the Dark Souls trilogy during the last year, although I still haven't beaten the final boss on III :D

Which final boss in DS3 would that be? The one in the main story or the one in the final DLC? There's also the insanely hard optional boss on the final DLC.

13 hours ago, sifth said:

Which final boss in DS3 would that be? The one in the main story or the one in the final DLC? There's also the insanely hard optional boss on the final DLC.

The one in the main story. Haven't bought any DLCs but I'm tempted on buying The Ringed City because I heard it has connections with Dark Souls II. I find DS3 to be way more difficult than the other two so IDK if I'm ever going to get around to it though hahaha

For some reason I've struggled with the bosses on DS3 way more than I did on any of the other two, especially this final ones. I've been stuck on this one for at least two months now.

1 hour ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

The one in the main story. Haven't bought any DLCs but I'm tempted on buying The Ringed City because I heard it has connections with Dark Souls II. I find DS3 to be way more difficult than the other two so IDK if I'm ever going to get around to it though hahaha

For some reason I've struggled with the bosses on DS3 way more than I did on any of the other two, especially this final ones. I've been stuck on this one for at least two months now.

Just level up a bit and get there move patterns down. If you want to really play the game on easy, you can always just play as a magic user. To be honest, I always found the final boss of DS3 to be kind of easy. The final boss of the Ringed City DLC though..............now he's a strong one.

6 hours ago, sifth said:

Just level up a bit and get there move patterns down. If you want to really play the game on easy, you can always just play as a magic user. To be honest, I always found the final boss of DS3 to be kind of easy. The final boss of the Ringed City DLC though..............now he's a strong one.

I may try Bloodborne as a magic user. I was under the impression that playing as knight/warrior was going to be easier but I'll give it a shot!

And yeah, I think I got the pattern of the enemy down. I just need to level up and maybe find some Estus Flasks to help me. I just need to find the mental energy to farm some souls first :D 

I'm honestly tempted on creating a FromSoftware thread on this forum, haven't seen that much discussion about them around here and I think it could be fun! 

3 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

I may try Bloodborne as a magic user. I was under the impression that playing as knight/warrior was going to be easier but I'll give it a shot!

And yeah, I think I got the pattern of the enemy down. I just need to level up and maybe find some Estus Flasks to help me. I just need to find the mental energy to farm some souls first :D 

I'm honestly tempted on creating a FromSoftware thread on this forum, haven't seen that much discussion about them around here and I think it could be fun! 

I mostly only play them with friends. We bond together through our suffering, ha ha ha

We even started making youtube videos of our many adventures.

20 hours ago, sifth said:

Unless you place the camera so you're looking down from above....

I am most of the way (I think) through Dark Souls for the first time. I was expecting to bounce off it for being too hard, but I’ve discovered that it’s an engrossing (but flawed) masterpiece. Good lord I love it.

I have also just bought a PS5 (haven’t really used it though, still playing DS on PC) and Bloodborne is included with PSPlus, so I’m really looking forward to that next. So now I am hyped for Elden Ring too!

My understanding of Demons Souls is that it’s like Dark Souls but not as good? Just as a result of Dark Souls actually being a good sequel and building on what came before. I have also heard that DS2 and DS3 are more of the same, with less imagination?

5 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I am most of the way (I think) through Dark Souls for the first time. I was expecting to bounce off it for being too hard, but I’ve discovered that it’s an engrossing (but flawed) masterpiece. Good lord I love it.

I have also just bought a PS5 (haven’t really used it though, still playing DS on PC) and Bloodborne is included with PSPlus, so I’m really looking forward to that next. So now I am hyped for Elden Ring too!

My understanding of Demons Souls is that it’s like Dark Souls but not as good? Just as a result of Dark Souls actually being a good sequel and building on what came before. I have also heard that DS2 and DS3 are more of the same, with less imagination?

Demon's Souls has magnificent atmosphere but the game play is significantly worse than the rest, the remake on PS5 is stunning though.  DS2 is usually marked as most as the worst because it has significant problems (for a fromsoft game thus essentially better still than everything else) but to me the story/plot of 2 is by far the strongest because it goes a different way than the other two games.  3 has the best gameplay of the 3 dark souls games but to me even from the start seems hollow (pardon the pun).  The feeling just isn't there (to be fair the Ringed City is significantly better in that sense). 

IGN has a new interview with Miyazaki about the game. https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-interview-largest-open-world-map-summer-of-gaming

The way he talks about GRRM's involvement:

“The Lands Between is actually a name that was invented by George R.R. Martin himself when he was coming up for the impetus for this world and writing its history and its deep mythos,” says Miyazaki. “And we hope that as well as taking away the idea of it being the sort of impetus and the starting place for the world, we want people to feel that it’s really like an invitation to this mysterious new land.”

And as for the game itself:

The Lands Between is made up of six major areas, each of which is the domain of a major demigod character. Miyazaki says that it will be apparent there is an “order” to how players can tackle these six areas, but you don’t have to follow it.

“We wanted to give a free level of progression and exploration through the Lands Between, so there’s a lot of different ways. You won’t be able to access everything from the start, but there are a lot of different ways you can approach each area. And there’s a lot of freedom as to which order you tackle different areas as well.”

Miyazaki broke it down further, explaining that each of the six areas will “house its own mainline dungeon map,” which seamlessly connects to the Lands Between. There’s even a “hub” – not unlike Dark Souls' Firelink Shrine – which players can branch out from that can be accessed a little later in the game.

10 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Demon's Souls is amazing.  Probably my favorite of the 'souls' games (3 is my least favorite and I keep BB and Sekiro as separate things since they are very different).  It's more punishing and has some of the more unique concepts that differentiate it from the 3 Dark Souls.  I picked up the original in ~2010 and probably played 1,000 hours of that game before Dark Souls came out.  I also think the level design is the best of any From games.  Where Dark Souls has this big interconnected world where levels connect to each other, Demon's Souls has these big interconnected levels with incredible use of elevation and shortcuts as you progress.  There's a few spots that do it in Dark Souls, but in Demon's it's pretty much every level.

Archived