Elden Ring Release Date and Trailer

Westeros

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Not my kind of game at all. Ah well. 

Nor mine. I do respect the artistry and creativity of these games a great deal and have fun reading about them, but the combat timing focus and obtuse storytelling isn't really my thing. I put several hours in Dark Souls and concluded I had zero interest in playing it through myself.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Demon's Souls is amazing.  Probably my favorite of the 'souls' games (3 is my least favorite and I keep BB and Sekiro as separate things since they are very different).  It's more punishing and has some of the more unique concepts that differentiate it from the 3 Dark Souls.  I picked up the original in ~2010 and probably played 1,000 hours of that game before Dark Souls came out.  I also think the level design is the best of any From games.  Where Dark Souls has this big interconnected world where levels connect to each other, Demon's Souls has these big interconnected levels with incredible use of elevation and shortcuts as you progress.  There's a few spots that do it in Dark Souls, but in Demon's it's pretty much every level.

It's like we played a different game because that is absolutely not how I perceive Demon's Souls lol.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, Slurktan said:

Demon's Souls has magnificent atmosphere but the game play is significantly worse than the rest, the remake on PS5 is stunning though.  DS2 is usually marked as most as the worst because it has significant problems (for a fromsoft game thus essentially better still than everything else) but to me the story/plot of 2 is by far the strongest because it goes a different way than the other two games.  3 has the best gameplay of the 3 dark souls games but to me even from the start seems hollow (pardon the pun).  The feeling just isn't there (to be fair the Ringed City is significantly better in that sense). 

I totally agree with these points. For me, Dark Souls 1 had a great story and Dark Souls 3 feels like a more standard sequel to 1 than 2. Playing Dark Souls 2 is a fun but flawed experience, but the way the story is told and how weird and surreal the worldbuilding is makes up for it. I would even suggest that if you only want to play one more DS after the first one, you should play Dark Souls 2 instead of 3.

I still haven't played Demon's Souls nor The Ringed City DLC so I can't comment on them.

Not my type of game either, but I'm really curious about the story and setting just because of George's involvement. Will be watching play throughs when it's released.

I finished DS last night, really really loved it, but a little anticlimactic at the end. No cut scene or much context for the last boss fight I thought. Cool location though.

However, I am aware that there is a significant DLC quest line that I missed entirely because it isn’t signposted at all, which I’m rather annoyed about. I’ve started NG+ just to do it, which is actually quite fun, but it’s a bit ridiculous you can just completely miss this stuff. The game has an accessibility issue. I don’t mean it’s too hard, I just mean it does not explain itself well at all.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I finished DS last night, really really loved it, but a little anticlimactic at the end. No cut scene or much context for the last boss fight I thought. Cool location though.

However, I am aware that there is a significant DLC quest line that I missed entirely because it isn’t signposted at all, which I’m rather annoyed about. I’ve started NG+ just to do it, which is actually quite fun, but it’s a bit ridiculous you can just completely miss this stuff. The game has an accessibility issue. I don’t mean it’s too hard, I just mean it does not explain itself well at all.

Yeah, I've never liked that either. I generally enjoy the games, even though Dark Souls 1 is the only one I was able to actually beat. But I don't like the expectation that you play the games with a guide open.

I also HATE the fact that there's no pause button. I don't even need the ability to go through my inventory when paused, which would make things easily. I literally just want the ability to freeze the game state if I need to get up or answer the phone or anything else from real life happens.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah, I've never liked that either. I generally enjoy the games, even though Dark Souls 1 is the only one I was able to actually beat. But I don't like the expectation that you play the games with a guide open.

I also HATE the fact that there's no pause button. I don't even need the ability to go through my inventory when paused, which would make things easily. I literally just want the ability to freeze the game state if I need to get up or answer the phone or anything else from real life happens.

I mean just go to a shrine if you want to pause. 

47 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean just go to a shrine if you want to pause. 

Well, duh, but sometimes you need to pause immediately.

There are plenty of places without nearby enemies where you can safely walk away from the game, but I’ve definitely pissed my girlfriend off when she’s tried talking to me during a boss fight.

15 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

There are plenty of places without nearby enemies where you can safely walk away from the game, but I’ve definitely pissed my girlfriend off when she’s tried talking to me during a boss fight.

Exactly. If I need to answer the door, or pick up the phone, or the cat throws up, or whatever else, I need to stop playing immediately.

And I do not understand how a pause option, one that doesn't let you do anything except pause, would compromise the vision of these games in any way.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

You say that, but I did that a few times and got invaded. So it's either the shrine or no place for me.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Exactly. If I need to answer the door, or pick up the phone, or the cat throws up, or whatever else, I need to stop playing immediately.

And I do not understand how a pause option, one that doesn't let you do anything except pause, would compromise the vision of these games in any way.

I could only see pause working for the game if you play it offline. If you are in the middle of an invasion or playing with your friends it wouldn't be possible.

8 hours ago, Fez said:

Indeed. The lack of a pause option during cutscenes and conversations in games has been a nuisance for me many times.

21 hours ago, Fez said:

I am not a fan of a game which does not respect the occasional need to urinate.

It even annoyed me that you can play Fallout 76 in solo mode but you still can't pause the game because the mechanics are built around being always online. However at least there you can log out and back in again, and you can fast-travel back to your camp at any time and be reasonably safe.

If there's an emergency you just quit the game. If you're in a boss battle it puts you at the fog gate, anywhere else it just saves where you're at. The game has a continuous save feature built in to track your blood stain and show how you died in other worlds.

Regarding needing to have a guide, this is where the online shines. Nearly every secret I found out through helping or being helped. The game does a lot of stuff to subtly promote online play. Sucks when you play 10 years later or when there's no online, like Sekiro.

• 4 months later...

Archived