80s cartoons and their reboots/remakes/continuations

Mosi Mynn

18 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Also, is it just me or does She-Ra/the Sorceress appear to get a bigger slice of the action than in the original series, where they were very much supporting characters to He-Man?

Is She-Ra in this?  I recognise Teela and the Sorceress, and there are a couple of other ladies wo I don't recognise, but I didn't see She-Ra.

4 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Is She-Ra in this?  I recognise Teela and the Sorceress, and there are a couple of other ladies wo I don't recognise, but I didn't see She-Ra.

Ah ok. Might be the Sorceress. My memory is hazy. I largely only recall her sitting Oracle-like in Castle Grey Skull back in the day, with He Man doing all the fighting. Hence my slight confusion at the action scenes in the trailer.

On 7/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Slurktan said:

Kevin Smith says it is a direct sequel to the '80s series.

I don't recall the original series having a lot of (or really any) continuity, so it's probably not a major thing.

53 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Netflix doubling down and bringing back Silverhawks.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/silverhawks-80s-tv-show-animated-nacelle-1234789025/

Thought I'd see a Thundercats remake before Silverhawks..

Maybe BraveStarr will be next!

There was a ThunderCats remake though.  It was about 10 years ago.  

I actually kinda liked it.  Was probably a little early for it’s time.  Would have been a natural fit for a Netflix series.

The SIlverHawks Ultimates  mentioned in the article look great. The selection they made is spot on, though I admit I have a fondness for Bluegrass and Sideman. No doubt that's wave 2.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

it needs Thundercats and especially GI Joe.

Cartoon Network already did ThunderCats Roar last year. Paramount's working on a live action GI Joe series featuring Lady Jaye. 

If SilverHawks is a success and they revive ThunderCats, the obvious next show in the empire is TigerSharks:

Ulysses 31 feels ripe for a remake. That show was bonkers (which is what happens when you pair French and Japanese writers and tell them to go nuts), but it had a slapping opening title sequence.

Robotech/Macross seems fairly likely to happen, now the legal issues have been resolved (if they're going to remake Voltron, this is the next possibility).

I think the Transformers: War for Cybertron series has only been a qualified success. It was probably a bit too grim and dour and maybe a bit of a lighter touch in a still somewhat adult-oriented show could be a good idea.

Loved Ulysses 31 growing up, it felt like it had the depth and scale of something being made today, it was a kids show but it was also deeply adult and pretty tragic ( can’t remember if he ever gets to go home but the whole plot was very sad)

I bought it on VHS at one point and if still had a haunting quality to it. I think modern creators are a little cautious of scaring kids but there was some genuinely terrifying stuff out there in the 80s.

Ulysses 31 is basically totally unknown in the U.S. It aired on some independent stations in some states as part of a short-lived syndication package. I never heard of it until I moved here and Linda and I got to talking about our childhoods, cartoons we had in common (practically none), and so on. But since they rebooted Mysterious Cities of Gold (which did air in the US, on Nickelodeon), yeah, Ulysses 31 could be cool to see rebooted. Or not, maybe it's weirdness wouldn't translate to today.

33 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Loved Ulysses 31 growing up, it felt like it had the depth and scale of something being made today, it was a kids show but it was also deeply adult and pretty tragic ( can’t remember if he ever gets to go home but the whole plot was very sad)

Yeah, last episode was him actually getting to Olympus and Zeus, or Poseidon, finally letting him go, more or less ending with all their pals waking up once they got back into their universe. I forgot the details, since it's been more than 35 years since I've seen it...

Indeed, in tone, it wasn't exactly the Teletubbies :D  One of my favourite cartoons of the time, with the afore-mentioned Cities of Gold.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Ulysses 31 feels ripe for a remake. That show was bonkers (which is what happens when you pair French and Japanese writers and tell them to go nuts), but it had a slapping opening title sequence.

Yeah… I’ve… uh… never heard of that before.  “Bonkers” would be a mild way of putting that. :lol: 

I wasn’t talking about the Teen Titans Go version of ThunderCats when I mentioned the reboot.  I was talking about the cancelled 2011 Cartoon Network show.  That article says poor toy sales was a big part of that cancellation.  Definitely ahead of it’s time and I liked the art direction a lot.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah… I’ve… uh… never heard of that before.  “Bonkers” would be a mild way of putting that. :lol: 

That theme song is a classic, man.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I wasn’t talking about the Teen Titans Go version of ThunderCats when I mentioned the reboot.

Ah, wasn't familiar with that one. 

To be honest, reading the article on the SilverHawks revival, it seems a bit tenuous and I'm not sure if it'll really work. But I wish them the best. The toys/toy renders for do look really cool.

47 minutes ago, Ranivaka said:

That theme song is a classic, man.

Ah, wasn't familiar with that one. 

To be honest, reading the article on the SilverHawks revival, it seems a bit tenuous and I'm not sure if it'll really work. But I wish them the best. The toys/toy renders for do look really cool.

Yeah.  It was really good.

There was an episode I remember where these little plant people had to guide Lion-O and his friends through their forest.  The journey took only a few days but the plant people only live very short lives, so the young guide that started with them was nearing death by the time they made it through and was referring to Lion-O as “Old Friend.”  It really had a lot of depth for ostensibly a kids show.

I'm surprised there hasn't been talk of a Real Ghostbusters reboot, given the imminent relaunch of the movie franchise and it was a genuinely good animated series back in the day which aimed itself at adults as much as children (I doubt many seven-year-olds in 1986 would have gotten the Citizen Kane episode).

Archived