Denmark - Finland, Group A

They could've played out the remainder of the match tomorrow or on monday, but not cancel it altogether. Eriksen reportedly talked to his teammates from the hospital. So he is awake, can breath and talk.

I reiterate what I said in the other football thread. Luckily he collapsed at a major tournament with suffificient medical personnel and good equipment there. My first thoughts when I saw him collapse there went to Appie Nouri. I find it particularly sad on another level. Nouri is now 24, and he was widely predicted to be one of the best players at this point...

They should have been guided by the players, which apparently they were. At a short tournament with teams flying between venues, you want to limit delays as much as possible.

28 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

They could've played out the remainder of the match tomorrow or on monday, but not cancel it altogether. Eriksen reportedly talked to his teammates from the hospital. So he is awake, can breath and talk.

I reiterate what I said in the other football thread. Luckily he collapsed at a major tournament with suffificient medical personnel and good equipment there. My first thoughts when I saw him collapse there went to Appie Nouri. I find it particularly sad on another level. Nouri is now 24, and he was widely predicted to be one of the best players at this point...

Plus it was in his home country. No added stress for dealing with this medical emergency in a foreign country.

43 minutes ago, john MCG said:

They should have been guided by the players, which apparently they were. At a short tournament with teams flying between venues, you want to limit delays as much as possible.

No I disagree. This is the time when you take it out of their hands and either cancel the match or suspend it for a day. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No I disagree. This is the time when you take it out of their hands and either cancel the match or suspend it for a day. 

Why so? That seems more disrespectful than the other way. They’re not children.

2 minutes ago, john MCG said:

Why so? That seems more disrespectful than the other way. They’re not children.

They're also not medical/mental health experts and they came close to witnessing their teammate and friend nearly dying on the field. It's not like someone broke their leg in a gruesome way. I didn't want to say it before, but a few others here did. He looked like he was nearing the end as they preformed CPR on him as his legs were spasming. And the players were up close watching that with looks of horror on their faces. They're not trained for such things.

It was irresponsible to allow them to play so soon. There's no reason why the match couldn't have taken place the next day, if it needed to happen at all.

Apparently the players felt finishing the match tomorrow would be no better, so decided to get it out of the way.

Calling off the match and either giving both teams a point or giving both teams no points would be unfair on everyone in the group, so there really wasn't a perfect solution. It's just a shitty situation

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was irresponsible to allow them to play so soon. There's no reason why the match couldn't have taken place the next day, if it needed to happen at all.

It could have been played tomorrow, that was the choice they were given. I don’t see why you would take away that choice from those directly involved. Denmark would have known they might be shaky continuing but decided to play on anyway.

Archived