Denmark - Finland, Group A

20 minutes ago, Bale's Bald Spot said:

Apparently the players felt finishing the match tomorrow would be no better, so decided to get it out of the way.

Calling off the match and either giving both teams a point or giving both teams no points would be unfair on everyone in the group, so there really wasn't a perfect solution. It's just a shitty situation

I don't think it would have been unfair to call the match a draw and assign a point each. I wouldn't have had a problem with Denmark conceding either if they weren't ready to play. 

21 minutes ago, john MCG said:

It could have been played tomorrow, that was the choice they were given. I don’t see why you would take away that choice from those directly involved. Denmark would have known they might be shaky continuing but decided to play on anyway.

Because the people most directly involved suffered some degree of immediate trauma. At that point their ability to evaluate their emotional state is to some degree compromised. This is the instance when you need someone outside of the team, and probably the coaches, to step in and make a decision and that decision should have been to postpone the match at the very least. You say Denmark knew they might be shaky out of the gate? Social media seems to think that everyone saw they looked shaky warming up. That's specifically when you need someone who is not a player to step in. 

I don’t see how their trauma is going to be lessened by playing the game the next day. They’re going to remember that for the rest of their lives.

So at that point the question is whether it’s unfair to the teams in terms of the competition, whether their ability to play is compromised and surely they are better suited to judge that than a mental health professional, or certainly than a tournament organiser who is realistically the only other person going to make the decision.

5 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

I just saw a grim story that said Eriksen went into cardiac arrest and was “gone” until medical workers resuscitated him. The comments about him looking like he was dead were correct.

I just saw the same thing. Very scary situation. Thankfully he seems to be doing okay now. The medical team are heroes.

14 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

I just saw a grim story that said Eriksen went into cardiac arrest and was “gone” until medical workers resuscitated him. The comments about him looking like he was dead were correct.

It's gotta be said if you are gonna have a cardiac arrest there is no better place short of the actual hospital to be than a major televised football game, despite the shock of the image. Nine years ago Fabrice Muamba was 'gone' for 78 minutes and on life support for two days and they saved him. The early response is so critical and there's medical staff and equipment right there (and in Muamba's case, a cardiologist in the crowd).

That there appears to be footage of Eriksen smiling and waving out his hospital window is amazing though.

Although the trauma is obviously real, what we witnessed was a real triumph. He collapsed, was checked within a minute, given CPR, then shocked with paddles, then stretchered off at which point he was already responsive, then an hour later he was chatting with his team from hospital. Everybody involved, from the medical professionals to the teammates shielding him from the cameras should be very proud of themselves.

Archived