England - Croatia (Group D)

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

He’s providing absolutely no width on the left. He’s a good player so he’ll probably do some good things but if Southgate wants him in the side pick him at right back ffs.

Why do you need width on the left when your winger provides it. It’s an inverted wing back basically. We don’t need him to run up the wing and pump crosses in

Just now, Heartofice said:

Why do you need width on the left when your winger provides it. It’s an inverted winger basically. We don’t need him to run up the wing and pump crosses in

The winger doesn’t provide it either really, Sterling is better at it than Trippier, who’s hardly ever played on the left in his career, but he basically wants to chop in on his right foot too.

You need it to stretch teams and force them to defend as much of the pitch as possible. England started reasonably well but it’s already starting to look easier for Croatia.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

The winger doesn’t provide it either really, Sterling is better at it than Trippier, who’s hardly ever played on the left in his career, but he basically wants to chop in on his right foot too.

You need it to stretch teams and force them to defend as much of the pitch as possible. England started reasonably well but it’s already starting to look easier for Croatia.

He’s also looking after Modric too. Sterling is starting out very wide. 

Don’t think England could have kept up the tempo at the start, it’s really hot out there. Shame that Foden effort didn’t go in

42 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

England's lineup :bang:

What don't you like about it? Curious, mostly.

Trippier at LB seems like an odd choice, I wouldn't have thought he is that much better in defense (or attack) than Chillwell or Shaw, but then again I haven't watched any of them that much. Not sure if there is any tactical reason for it? (i.e. cut in and pass with his right?)

I don't have the sub to watch the game, but i am assuming they are playing 4-2-3-1, with Mount in centre? If so, that is a pretty balanced team. I know everyone wanted Grealish on the side, but from what little i watched of Chelsea and Aston Villa, Mount seems like a more balanced player (strong both defensively and offensively). I assume people want *Grealish in the centre rather than wing?

Yeah, most fans wouldn’t want Sterling to start I don’t think, but his movement was good. It was a good enough performance, shades of Italy at first but couldn’t keep up that energy.

10 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

What don't you like about it? Curious, mostly.

Trippier at LB seems like an odd choice, I wouldn't have thought he is that much better in defense (or attack) than Chillwell or Shaw, but then again I haven't watched any of them that much. Not sure if there is any tactical reason for it? (i.e. cut in and pass with his right?)

I don't have the sub to watch the game, but i am assuming they are playing 4-2-3-1, with Mount in centre? If so, that is a pretty balanced team. I know everyone wanted Grealish on the side, but from what little i watched of Chelsea and Aston Villa, Mount seems like a more balanced player (strong both defensively and offensively). I assume people want *Grealish in the centre rather than wing?

Well this was before the game, but I was annoyed no Rashford in the starting lineup, instead he put Stirling in. Trippier was an odd choice, but mainly because of Southgate really wanting to have Walker in, too. As we've seen he is making mistakes. I also wasn't sure about starting both Phillips and Rice. And while Mings is a good defender, out of all the players he is the most prone at scoring own goals, so he always make me a bit nervous.

Not being English, I found it odd that he's going with a RB on the left (since, as mentioned, Sterling isn't a width-provinding wing), and that he plays both Phillips and Rice.  Shouldn't need more than one of them.

6 minutes ago, Nero C. C. A. Germanicus said:

Not being English, I found it odd that he's going with a RB on the left (since, as mentioned, Sterling isn't a width-provinding wing), and that he plays both Phillips and Rice.  Shouldn't need more than one of them.

Think you under estimate Croatia. They have a good midfield and I’d be worried about picking a single pivot against them. Phillips is playing quite advanced however 

Not really, it's (to me) not about underestimating Croatia, but about setting up a team with the best chance in attack. 

Creating chances isn't what Phillips and RIce do. They are more destroyers. So it makes England less likely to score.

ETA: makes perfect sense that Phillips plays through Sterling right after I posted that.

Is Walker being more adventurous at least? I would've thought that if England went with two holding, at least one of the full backs would be more attacking.

I assume if England play 4-2-3-1 then they will defend in a 3-2 (two holding and one fullback stays put) and if they play 4-3-3 then they will defend in a 4-1 (one holding and both fullbacks stay put). With their squad, they should be able to easily switch if needed.

I quite like 4-2-3-1 for England. I think having two holding will allow them to be extremely solid in defense while letting the front four really attack without worrying about things at the back. There is enough talent between the forwards, and enough variety in the type of attackers, to cause trouble even against a packed defense.

Both Trippier and Walker have the freedom to roam forward, it seems. Would be smarter, though, to have a left-legged left back, so you could have width on both wings.

Sterling and Foden both want to pull inside.

Just now, The Winged Shadow said:

Is Walker being more adventurous at least? I would've thought that if England went with two holding, at least one of the full backs would be more attacking.

Not really. Walker isn’t actually a particularly attacking right back in general. He tends to drop in to midfield rather than making attacking runs.

Phillips is playing well but I’d still prefer the midfield to be one of Rice or Phillips with one of Henderson or Bellingham, and Mount obviously.

Archived