Hungary - Portugal (group F)

Portugal did miss some great early chances. Jota and Ronaldo should've had them out of sight by halftime. Hungary have looked a bit more threatening on the counter in the 2nd half. Overall though Portugal have been the better side and deserve the win.

The last bit was rather awful to watch. Still, we put up a decent fight, and nobody expected a win against a world class team. I do feel bad that we didn’t score at least one.   Hope the boys don’t feel too bad, we’re proud of them anyway 

1 minute ago, john MCG said:

Why did the flag only go up after the Hungary goal? Wasn’t he offside as soon as he played the ball.

The protocol is to let it play out so they can go back and VAR it if they have to.

24 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The protocol is to let it play out so they can go back and VAR it if they have to.

It was a 2-meter offside.

34 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

The last bit was rather awful to watch. Still, we put up a decent fight, and nobody expected a win against a world class team. I do feel bad that we didn’t score at least one.   Hope the boys don’t feel too bad, we’re proud of them anyway 

The truth is, the team went for a win when they saw they could score at 0-0. If we would've choose to properly defend (with 5 people), we would've ended with a draw. Too much we wanted, Rossi's plan didn't fit the team especially when he didn't bring Szalai down (who's not on the field to score, let's be honest).

Still, it was something we hoped will not come. I am proud what Hungary achieved these past years, even if we won't collect a single point in our group.

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

It was a 2-meter offside.

The truth is, the team went for a win when they saw they could score at 0-0. If we would've choose to properly defend (with 5 people), we would've ended with a draw. Too much we wanted, Rossi's plan didn't fit the team especially when he didn't bring Szalai down (who's not on the field to score, let's be honest).

Still, it was something we hoped will not come. I am proud what Hungary achieved these past years, even if we won't collect a single point in our group.

I suppose they didn’t think something like this could happen in the last 10 minutes. Then again, exactly this happened against Belgium in 2016. That was soul wrecking. 

We don’t stand a chance in our group. The best we can do is put up a decent fight, that’s enough for everybody to be proud of the team. 

Archived