NBA - What the hell is going on?

Red Tiger

One thing that is interesting in this series is that an unusual portion of the stars are as good or better at defense than offense.  Last night, Holiday, Ayton, Paul, and Giannis were all notably better on defense than on offense.  I don't know what is going on in the Paul vs Holiday matchup, but both of them were trash on offense and so I'll charitably say it was because they were devoting so much energy to defense.  Ayton couldn't get going at all offensively, but his defense and rebounding were exceptional.  He is the only guy that gives Giannis pause in the lane, everybody else he just attacks and either draws a foul or blows by. 

And Giannis, I can't say enough about how good his defense was last night.  The Suns are keeping track of where he is defensively, and he's still able to get deflections, steals, blocks etc.  None bigger than this one, which is honestly one of the best blocks I have ever seen. 

I honestly don't know how he could go from challenging Booker in the lane to recovering, resetting his feet and jumping with the power needed to block Ayton.  I've watched it ten times and it still seems impossible. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I don't know what is going on in the Paul vs Holiday matchup, but both of them were trash on offense

I think what’s going on is Paul’s hand is clearly messed up. He’s turning the ball over, his passes aren’t as crisp and he’s struggling to take the ball into the paint when there are defenders he has to get around.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think what’s going on is Paul’s hand is clearly messed up.

Maybe, but Paul was getting treatment on his hand early in the third quarter of Game 1.  He was still great the rest of game 1 and pretty good in game 2.  It was only in the past two games that he's struggling. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

...I honestly don't know how he could go from challenging Booker in the lane to recovering, resetting his feet and jumping with the power needed to block Ayton.  I've watched it ten times and it still seems impossible. 

Ha, yes.  That was a classic Kareem Abdul-Jabbar style block - turn and launch off a single foot, fully extend and get to the ball with one hand.  No reset, or at least none as modern players would have been taught.  You have to be really tall and really athletic and really committed on that action.

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ha, yes.  That was a classic Kareem Abdul-Jabbar style block - turn and launch off a single foot, fully extend and get to the ball with one hand.  No reset, or at least none as modern players would have been taught.  You have to be really tall and really athletic and really committed on that action.

Giannis actually said that he expected to get dunked on, but he had to try.  He also said that he expected Booker to pass it and that's why he was as prepared as he was to turn and jump. 

I have never seen Kareem make a play like that, do you have a video you could share?  I've seen him turn and jump and block a jump shot or layup, but not a dunk from a seven footer who was already above the rim (there weren't a ton of guys Ayton's size in Kareem's day). 

55 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Maybe, but Paul was getting treatment on his hand early in the third quarter of Game 1.  He was still great the rest of game 1 and pretty good in game 2.  It was only in the past two games that he's struggling. 

I know he came into the series with a shoulder and hand injury, but I can’t recall which side each is on. However, in game 2 he sustained another hand injury, so now either both his hands are compromised or his left hand has gotten even worse. He was asked about it after the game and played it off, but Kawhi played off his knee injury in the same way and now he has a partially torn ACL and might miss all of next season. Paul has 15 turnovers in the last three games and injuries have to play a role in that, plus the Bucks are forcing him left and he’s struggling with it, as seen on that huge turnover late in the game.  

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Giannis actually said that he expected to get dunked on, but he had to try.  He also said that he expected Booker to pass it and that's why he was as prepared as he was to turn and jump. 

I have never seen Kareem make a play like that, do you have a video you could share?  I've seen him turn and jump and block a jump shot or layup, but not a dunk from a seven footer who was already above the rim (there weren't a ton of guys Ayton's size in Kareem's day). 

This is the point in the Greatest Peaks video where they talk about his defensive weaknesses, but right at this mark, and then about two minutes later (twice), you can see that same footwork (recover, then left foot, right hand) blocking technique that recalled Kareem to me when I saw the Giannis block.

36 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I love that opening tip. :lol: 

Unfortunately the rest of the video isn't that impressive outside of how several kids' shoulders are at her hips. Hopefully she gets some coaches and trainers that can help her develop some skill sets. 

Archived