Group Stage - Matchday 2 of 3 (Groups D & E)

So Reece James and Shaw in to the two fullback spots. So Southgate's managed to get all his rightbacks into the first two games and has even managed to fit one of the leftbacks in. Good to see Sancho included in the squad this time.

FOOTBALL’S ACTUALLY COMING HOME!!!

well, sort of. First international fixture was in Glasgow of course. Team changes as expected really. Southgate getting a left back involved, Clarke understandably preferring guys that play in England.

The main event, for us, if we’re honest - particularly now our chances of advancing are slim. If we get a result here , we’ll be happy. 

ETA - not gonna lie, I don’t expect to get anything out of this game but I got quite emotional during the national anthem. Can quite squash that little bit of wishful hope…

40 minutes ago, Angus McGonagle said:

The main event, for us, if we’re honest - particularly now our chances of advancing are slim. If we get a result here , we’ll be happy. 

I don’t think Scotland will progress after losing to the Czechs but, to be fair, with the third placed teams qualifying they’ve still got a reasonable chance if they get a result.

England are pretty disappointing in possession. With Scotland playing five at the back and two upfront England should really have more of a grip of midfield.

0-0 ht. 

We’re pressing well out of possession, which is key, but hard to keep up. Gilmour adds quality to the midfield. Adams started well but has been a bit disappointing for me. O’Donnell surprisingly solid: on paper, him vs. Sterling is probably the biggest mismatch but he’s had time and space to get forward and coped reasonably well defensively. Having McTominay covering behind him seems to be helping. 

Sterling and Kane have been anonymous. Foden is a silky player but he wants to play more centrally and come in on his stronger left foot which has resulted in England's right flank being non existent. Almost every single attack has gone down the left and been very predictable.

Scotland will be happy with the way they've shut England down while being able to create some decent opportunities for themselves as well. Tierney has been class.

Yeah, I can’t really tell if it’s something scotland have done but sterling’s been anonymous. Tierney’s been great. Hoping not to see Grealish any time soon.

England need to do something about their right flank. Either bring Sancho on or tell Foden not to drift so centrally as James is being left isolated. Don't see the point of playing two holding midfielders either in a game where England are going to dominate possession. Bellingham or Henderson need to be brought on.

Archived