Group Stage - Matchday 2 of 3 (Groups D & E)

Ok, really disappointing performance by England. They couldn't have had any complaints if Scotland had won this one.

Yes, Scotland also was a bit fortuitous that Sterling didn't get the penalty call. But overall, I think Scotland were really more than England's equal tonight.

Did I say how disappointing that England performance was? I mean with that much talent, particularly going forward, they should really be creating way more, than they did today.

Watched it with my wife and her parents who were over for dinner, and her brother (who knows nothing about football- had to ask which colour Scotland were).

A heartening performance by Scotland. Though half-expected an injury time goal by England.

Missed most of the first half as was trying to grt daughter to sleep and get dinner served. Did both sides take the knee, and how did the support react?

Scotland look good, pressing England well and making it hard for them in the middle.

Outside of those few chances which were inches wide England really created very little

Kane looks gone, another anonymous performance and without him it’s hard to see where goals are coming from.

Grealish coming on didn’t really have much effect, because our midfield isn’t working. 

A draw is an ok result, but disappointing. However the most worrying part is that the side just seem to be displaying a lot of the same tendencies they always do, and doesn’t seem to be moving forward.

Southgate really needs to do better as well in games like this, his changes didn’t make a difference, god know what Rashford is gonna do up front 

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Imagine if any other nation had a manager who regularly left their best player on the bench. It's madness.

Finishing runners up in this group is a bigger advantage than winning it. Southgate is outsmarting us all!

I don’t see how Gareth fixes his main problem which seems to be that his players are knackered. Frankly, he’s done enough for now, which Scotland haven’t, although they’ve put themselves in an ok position.

16 hours ago, john MCG said:

I don’t see how Gareth fixes his main problem which seems to be that his players are knackered.

Sure, some players looked a bit tired but I feel this is just a convenient excuse. Being a bit tired after coming off congested season is not unique to the England squad. Southgate's biggest problem is that he's a shit coach who refuses to make good use of the talent at his disposal. At the end of the day, this England side is not a particularly well coached team and does not have the tactical system in place to consistently control games and shift defences around. Despite the abundance of talent this team plays like a midtable side and Southgate seems to be primarily counting on sheer individual talent to see England through games. Contrast this with how Mancini has Italy playing and with a less talented squad.

Just now, Consigliere said:

Sure, some players looked a bit tired but I feel this is just a convenient excuse. Being a bit tired after coming off congested season is not unique to the England squad. Southgate's biggest problem is that he's a shit coach who refuses to make good use of the talent at his disposal. At the end of the day, this England side is not a particularly well coached team and does not have the tactical system in place to consistently control games and shift defences around. Despite the abundance of talent this team plays like a midtable side and Southgate seems to be primarily counting on sheer individual talent to see England through games. Contrast this with what Mancini has done for Italy with a less talented squad.

He’s a cautious coach IMO, he is never especially adventurous going forward. It probably is quite difficult to establish a tactical system with an international side when you have so little time together. 

Either way, I think England have played well in patches, but what tends to happen is that they retreat back into a more passive direct game if things don’t work immediately. Our best chances yesterday were long balls up to Sterling, basically because we had no real midfield 

Archived