Jump to content
L'oiseau français

Covid-19 #34 - Alpha, Delta, It’s All Greek to Me!

Recommended Posts

Sheesh, I read about people in vaccination centers actually setting up sales of fake certificates, faking vaccine shots and getting paid a few hundred bucks. At such times, I begin to think that, maybe, Stalin had a point. Great job there from healthcare workers faking vaccines, letting plague rats go out in the open as if they were genuine vaccinated mindful citizens, and screwing up the fight against covid and vaccine trust, since in a couple of months we'll get headlines about how vaccines aren't as effective because we have many vaccinated people in ICUs, when in fact they'll be scumbags with fake certificates... (I wonder how common this has been in Israel, since it might explain why their studies show lesser vaccine effectiveness than in other places)

 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I haven't seen the specific data, but there must have been a pretty strong correlation with Trump calling it the "China virus" and the spike in anti-Asian hate crimes here in the U.S.

Nobody had any problem when people were talking about the English/Kent variant back then, or if UK had a problem, nobody gave a damn, WHO included. It's only when that fool Modi screwed up that it became bad to call it "Indian variant". But I still see some kind of use in pointing out that the risky variants appeared in countries who totally messed up the response to the pandemic - might push other governments to act more responsibly to avoid the stigma. But of course, it's unfair and unwise to seem to put the blame on a whole country or people, so it would've been better to stick with naming variants, but instead of country name to pick the heads of government instead, to publicly shame them - we should've called them "BoJo variant", "Bolsonaro variant" and "Modi variant", it would've been way more accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but that is really a secondary problem for those countries. The primary problem is access to the vaccines in the first place. The best infrastructure in the world doesn't help with the distribution, if there's nothing to distribute.

There will be plenty to distribute as time moves on and we get better at mass production. That still doesn't solve the fact that it will be hard to administer it en masse, and that failing to do so will just lead to more mutations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Nobody had any problem when people were talking about the English/Kent variant back then, or if UK had a problem, nobody gave a damn, WHO included. It's only when that fool Modi screwed up that it became bad to call it "Indian variant". But I still see some kind of use in pointing out that the risky variants appeared in countries who totally messed up the response to the pandemic - might push other governments to act more responsibly to avoid the stigma. But of course, it's unfair and unwise to seem to put the blame on a whole country or people, so it would've been better to stick with naming variants, but instead of country name to pick the heads of government instead, to publicly shame them - we should've called them "BoJo variant", "Bolsonaro variant" and "Modi variant", it would've been way more accurate.

It's apples and oranges to compare calling it the English variant to the Chinese virus, 

The idea of naming it after a country's leader is a funny one though. 

Ty: "Hey Stranger, did you catch that BoJo?"

Stranger: "Nah, I caught that piece of shit Bolsonaro."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Padraig said:

Huh.  There has been a question about the effectiveness of the Chinese vaccines.  I wonder what Hungary is going to use as its booster?  But yes, while Hungary had a big head start, a number of countries have passed it out in recent weeks, when it comes to take-up of vaccinations.  It is still way better than countries like Bulgaria and Romania at least!

It is interesting to see where countries tail off at.  The US got to 50% (of total population) and it has inched up since.  Israel got to 60%.  Canada 70%.  Hungary 55%.  

And then Bulgaria 15%.

There is (was? Not sure how long it’s open) a campaign going on to test elderly people who received Shinopharm for antibodies and identify those who didn’t develop any. I’m not sure if they get a third dose of the same thing or a different type of vaccine. I should probably read up on this. And I’m also not sure about the participation rate. 

yeah. It’s really frustrating because if there was willingness, we could have 90% vaccinated by now. There’s a new vaccination campaign starting that targets those above 60 and with compromised immune system - they’ll be personally contacted by GP’s offices and offered a vaccine. It’s also open to ages 12-16 now.
 

No idea how the rest of the adult population could be persuaded - without social media riots and mass protests at least. It’s mandatory for healthcare workers to be vaccinated at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Sheesh, I read about people in vaccination centers actually setting up sales of fake certificates, faking vaccine shots and getting paid a few hundred bucks. At such times, I begin to think that, maybe, Stalin had a point. Great job there from healthcare workers faking vaccines, letting plague rats go out in the open as if they were genuine vaccinated mindful citizens, and screwing up the fight against covid and vaccine trust, since in a couple of months we'll get headlines about how vaccines aren't as effective because we have many vaccinated people in ICUs, when in fact they'll be scumbags with fake certificates... (I wonder how common this has been in Israel, since it might explain why their studies show lesser vaccine effectiveness than in other places)

A similar organization in France was just dismantled. I understand the certificates were sold for between 350€ and 500€.
It seems no actual healthcare worker was involved though, only administrative staff (which is bad enough, I suppose).

For some reason, I'm not even mad. So a few hundred guys were willing to pay to fake something that is free, got caught, and are now facing humongous fines and possibly jail time for some. And they are also vulnerable to the virus - of course.
At this point, that's natural selection at work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw yesterday that so far more than 1.3 M Canadians  have agreed with the government that Pfizer and Moderna are just like Coke and Pepsi and can be used interchangeably, and have taken Moderna as a second dose to their Pfizer first.

The long term results will be interesting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The USA version of course is the tRump Virus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Great job there from healthcare workers faking vaccines, letting plague rats go out in the open as if they were genuine vaccinated mindful citizens

I understand you might be angry but calling PEOPLE "plague rats" is dehumanizing and from there is a slippery slope. You should know better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

I understand you might be angry but calling PEOPLE "plague rats" is dehumanizing and from there is a slippery slope. You should know better.

About what I've come to expect from this forum to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

About what I've come to expect from this forum to be honest.

So why are you wasting your time on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So why are you wasting your time on it?

Boredom. Plus its my time to waste.

Edited by lessthanluke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is interesting. Apparently the principle of the third vaccine is a heterologous approach (this is a word, as it turns out). Those who had vector based or dead virus particle based vaccine (AZ, Sputnik, Shinopharm) are recommended mRNS based one and vice versa. I suppose the idea is that an individual’s immune system should be able to combat the virus in both manners. Maybe? 

Either way, this poses a ton of questions about combined side effects and cross vaccination efficacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alas, as so many here have predicted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/17/politics/what-matters-covid-summer/index.html

Quote

 

Summer is only halfway done, but the carefree Covid season is over.

Case numbers and hospitalizations are up. Vaccinations are down and the US government has labeled vaccine misinformation a "serious threat to public health."
"This is not a problem we can take years to solve," US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy told Jake Tapper after releasing a 22-page health advisory.
The White House blames Facebook, in part, and White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the platform must move faster to take down misinformation, before people see it and not after it's been posted for days. . . .

 

Thanks to the spreaders who refuse masks and vaccination, yet are determined to celebrate their birthdays inside, in a bar/restaurant, with many 'friends' just like then, amarite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well this is interesting. Apparently the principle of the third vaccine is a heterologous approach (this is a word, as it turns out). Those who had vector based or dead virus particle based vaccine (AZ, Sputnik, Shinopharm) are recommended mRNS based one and vice versa. I suppose the idea is that an individual’s immune system should be able to combat the virus in both manners. Maybe? 

Either way, this poses a ton of questions about combined side effects and cross vaccination efficacy. 

Huh.  Interesting.  There has been some testing of AZ and Pfizer combinations.  Side effects are supposed to be worse but tollerable.  And efficacy is good (although I think a combined Pfizer dosage is still better).  3 doses of Pfizer would seem like overkill, so I suppose it makes sense.  Combining Sputnik ot Sinopharm with an mRNA hasn't been tested (as far as I know).  Although, a few countries have given a mRNA more recently to those that have had Sinopharm already.

It will be interesting to see the take-up rate.  I imagine if and when cases increase significantly, some people might jump at it.  The risk may seem low right now?

I'm sure scientists will be very interested in the results either way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ugh. While playing cards on Friday I had to listen to two people discuss why they wouldn’t get any vaccine because they were rushed and “who knows what effect it could have in five years?”

Edit: The first Louisiana Vaccine drawing happened last week. An 80 y/o woman won $100,000. Good for her.
 

1 drawing for that amount each week for two more weeks , and then the $1,000,000 drawing. 

Come on Louisianians! If you won’t get the vaccine for public health reasons, at least get it for your own greed!

Edited by A True Kaniggit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will not have any contact with people who refuse to be vaccinated (obvs, this doesn't include immuno-suppressed, small children. pregnant people, and others for whom there are clear and good reasons they can't be vaccinated).

The others though, who refuse to be vaccinated, should be jailed, because they are absolutely putting the rest of us into the situations we've already been in, and endangering all the rest of us by providing vectors for the virus to mutate and taking over all the health care systems, such as these are, with their illness -- and people with cancer can't even get the treatments they need because the personnel and hospitals are overwhelmed by Them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...