US Politics: A Sinematic view on voting rights and the filibuster

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Weird you can't read the link.  I still can and I don't have a subscription.  Anyway, yeah a lot of progressives along with Sanders vowed not to vote for it unless they also passed a reconciliation bill/got a commitment from Manchin.  Warren, Markey, Gillibrand, I think quite a few others voiced similar stances when the deal was announced.  It's Biden and the leadership's job to deliver on that aspect.

Bernie's also voiced policy-based objections to the bill on the gas tax (which Biden also opposes) and a fee on electric vehicles (not sure if that'll be in there or not), but I think it's safe to assume if Biden can unite the caucus on a reconciliation bill most every Dem MC will vote for the bipartisan deal as well.  And there are 11 GOP votes for the latter...at least at the moment.  Again, plenty of skepticism Biden can pull this off/the GOP members will renege is more than warranted.

I've been using Microsoft Edge lately with an adblocker, and I think this is probably an issue with one of those two (why I couldn't read the link...also, why am I using Edge?).

There were two other senators--I'm drawing a blank--who said they wouldn't go with this if it became before serious money for issues related to climate change. But that was two weeks ago I heard that--I may have missed something that changed that put them at ease since Biden came out pretty strong on it the other day.

I'm not sure how I personally feel about this bipartisan approach as if it did pass, it would be merely to preserve the filibuster, and I can't see Dems getting anymore bipartisan support as they head into midterms. It's hard to predict though. 

I will agree that this is holding together much better than the capitol riots commission did. 

12 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

There were two other senators--I'm drawing a blank--who said they wouldn't go with this if it became before serious money for issues related to climate change.

Probably Markey and Warren.  Including significant investment for climate change issues will most certainly have to be part of a reconciliation bill acceptable to the entire caucus.

So I got a big kick out of this, couldn't help but share - Michael Dukakis Warns Democrats on Crime:

The "defund the police" movement is “nuts,” Dukakis, the Democratic presidential nominee in 1988, told this column.

“I’m saying to myself, my God, what the hell is going on here?” Dukakis added during a 40-minute phone interview from his home in Brookline, Mass., late last week.

“On one hand, you have folks screaming and yelling about getting rid of policing, which makes no sense at all. And then on the other hand, you have some people totally misinterpreting what community policing is, just as we were really making huge progress,” he said.

Now, to be clear, I agree with most of what he said in that article (albeit I'm definitely not a fan of his "friend" Bill Bratton).  The warnings about messaging IRT "defund the police" have been repeated here and elsewhere ad nauseam, and I'm certainly not looking to reignite that discussion.  And of course, when it comes to the 88 election, the Willie Horton ad, Lee Atwater's toxic and dirty style campaigning, and the emergence of a generation of dogwhistles all have been embedded into any adequate understanding of modern American politics.

But, Mike, it's been 33 years.  It's time to acknowledge that the primary reason you lost (outside of the economic environment) was simply because you were a very boring candidate that performed very poorly on the campaign trail.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

But, Mike, it's been 33 years.  It's time to acknowledge that the primary reason you lost (outside of the economic environment) was simply because you were a very boring candidate that performed very poorly on the campaign trail.

I was only 5 years old when he ran for Prez but I remember my slightly older cousins, who lived in a Boston suburb, singing some song where the chorus was "the Duke is a kook and Bush is a mush".

The people that have been bemoaning "Defund the Police" as a slogan every other breath have done more to put it out there and give it oxygen than anyone actually advocating for it.  

10 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

The people that have been bemoaning "Defund the Police" as a slogan every other breath have done more to put it out there and give it oxygen than anyone actually advocating for it.  

Agreed.  Especially at this point and not as a campaign autopsy.

I'm just gonna say this in advance- If we go back down the path in 2024 and elect another nut job like DeSantis or a Trump acolyte, we will have no-one to blame but ourselves 

Americans need to be held accountable for their idiotic ballot choices. We will get the exact leader we bring on ourselves.

23 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm just gonna say this in advance- If we go back down the path in 2024 and elect another nut job like DeSantis or a Trump acolyte, we will have no-one to blame but ourselves 

Americans need to be held accountable for their idiotic ballot choices. We will get the exact leader we bring on ourselves.

Don’t you think there’s some degree of responsibility surrounding things like voter suppression laws that are not entirely the fault of the public. Access is a huge problem

The public voted people like that feckless C...ollins into the Senate. I don't think people in Maine get to complain about voter suppression there. How Gideon with her huge warchest was not able to oust her is still beyond me. Those obstructionist got voted into a position where they could obstruct.

2 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Don’t you think there’s some degree of responsibility surrounding things like voter suppression laws that are not entirely the fault of the public. Access is a huge problem

Good point.

It's easy to be pissed and lash out at my fellow voters that are electing these chuds and forget the suppression that is also a key factor in the first place.

Now I'm still depressed. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-attacks-pepper-sprays-pride-march-on-stonewall-anniversary/ar-BB166IX3

NYPD showing why not inviting them to participate in Pride was the right call.

ETA: That's from basically the same thing happening last year, story from this year:

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/28/nycs-pride-participants-clash-with-police-as-celebrations-turn-violent-1095334/

29 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-attacks-pepper-sprays-pride-march-on-stonewall-anniversary/ar-BB166IX3

NYPD showing why not inviting them to participate in Pride was the right call.

The sad part is I don't think anyone is shocked by this.

17 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I've been using Microsoft Edge lately

I'm certain that even after I've died and turned to ash MS still will be trying to force me into using Edge and Bing.  The only thing I can count on beyond death and taxes.  :commie:

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'm certain that even after I've died and turned to ash MS still will be trying to force me into using Edge and Bing.  The only thing I can count on beyond death and taxes.  :commie:

At this point, Microsoft is coming across as a sad/desperate ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. No, Microsoft, I will not give you another chance. What you did to me with Internet Explorer can never be forgiven or forgotten. I'm sure Edge is a wonderful software and that it will make someone else happy, but my answer is final.

Democrats Introduce Bill To Invest In Public Safety Alternatives To Police
Ayanna Pressley and Cori Bush want to give funds to state and local government to hire social workers and mental health counselors as emergency responders.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/democrats-peoples-response-act-alternatives-police_n_60da1566e4b07b25f60e1e2e

Democratic Reps. Ayanna Pressley (Mass.), Cori Bush (Mo.) and other progressives are introducing new legislation seeking to “transform the nation’s public safety response” by funding and researching “non-carceral” alternatives to police. 

The People’s Response Act, co-led by Reps. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.) and Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.), would create a new public safety agency in the Department of Health and Human Services to fund research and grants into “health-centered” investments in public safety. 

This would include launching a federal first responders unit to support states and local governments with emergency health crises, as well as some $2.5 billion for those governments and community organizations to hire first responders who are mental health and substance abuse counselors. 

“For too long, our flawed approach to public safety has centered criminalization, surveillance and incarceration, rather than care, justice and healing,” Pressley said in a news release. 

Bush said that the vision for the legislation is to “transform public safety into a system of care rather than criminalization, healing rather than incarceration, and prevention rather than policing.”

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

That article is from last year's Pride parade. 

Whoops sorry, It's so exactly like what happened this year I didn't notice the date when I looked for a news story rather than just linking some of the tweets I saw.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/06/28/nycs-pride-participants-clash-with-police-as-celebrations-turn-violent-1095334/

Okay, that one says 2021, and has some of the tweets I saw.

5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

It is a terrible slogan tbf, sounds bad, takes way too long to explain and sounds scary and bad off the ear.

But it is mostly something just popular on Twitter.

In terms of actual adopted by a major political group with influence on government, or party, not really. Thankfully.

Archived