Was Harrington a good choice

Lady Winter Rose

Recent artwork Westeros facebook page shared of Jon Snow reminded me how better Kit Harrington would look as Jon Snow if only they gave him wig. But in retrospective, I feel Kit was poor casting choice, IMHO. I feel his best scenes were with Rose Leslie, a woman he would eventually marry, and rest of the show he basically acted a angsty teenager

- a choice that would look strange in retrospective, because they aged the Jon Snow significantly for the show, and other kids, but they didn't amend Jon Snow character in turn. I mean, if Jon Snow on the show ended up older, Kit Harrington still played a dead man's performance - he basically just sat in front of camera and looked sad, and occasionally swigged a sword. I felt most of potential of good performance was gone, because you can't make grown ass man act like a angsty teenager and feel that influence my rating of Jon Snow on the show as bad one.

• 4 months later...

He felt a little miscast in the first few seasons where he was supposed to be a young and inexperienced recruit - this is one case where Jon being his younger book-self would have felt more appropriate. But I think he did pretty well in seasons 4 and 5 where he took on a more authoritative and intentionally stoic persona. He captured the spirit of Lord Commander Snow mostly accurately. The scene where he executes Janos Slynt is a particular highlight.

But like @Winds of Winter blow cold said, the mediocre/bad writing of the show held back and even ruined a lot of potentially good performances, so it's hard to blame the cast too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived