Falcon2909

On 6/21/2021 at 6:29 AM, Falcon2909 said:

>westeros
>its in the west
>easteros
>its in the east
>southeros
>its in the south

I wouldn't be surprised if the ice wastes north of the shivering sea are called northeros or nyorthos.

>the wall
>theres a long wall

>oldtown
>its an old town

Your name is way better 

4 hours ago, sifth said:

He does seem to ignore the year long seasons in all of his history books. Like he could have an entire war be prevented by winter starting and both sides too exhausted from dealing with winter, they no longer want to fight each other once it's over. In fact, I hardly remember the seasons coming up at all, outside of the main series.

I dunno... a lot of things seem to go sideways in the Spring (Lysene Spring, 'died in the spring', False Spring). Whoever's dreaming of it after Winds might be setting themselves up for a disappointment. Winter seems a little underrepresented though, or only comes up when it's useful like during the Dance where it motivated Roderick Dustin's  host.

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

My question would be what happens to the Neck during winter. In order for crocodiles to survive there (and let’s be honest, lizard lions are basically crocodiles), then there can’t possibly be any snow and ice in the Neck, especially not for years on end. So that means Westeros has a subtropical temperature in the middle of the continent, with mild temperate climates to the north and south until we eventually get tundra in the northern regions and desert in the southern regions.

Aren't crocodiles mentioned in the world book as living in Sothyros?  If they're crocs elsewhere, then a lizard lion isn't a crocodile, right? I dunno about this myself, I always thought the same as you're saying, but comming across crocs in the world book made me wonder. 

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Or my favorite, North America and South America. Directional continents named after the guy who found one of the two continents.

He didn't find it tho, there where already people here, but yeah, super lazy

23 hours ago, LynnS said:

I'm disappointed that there aren't any unicorns farting glitter and fairy dust. 

Still hoping we get a good few pages with the flesh-eating unicorns of Skaagos tho

Although more seriously, this is how a lot of things were named in historical times. There's several Newports in this world and there's also several River Avons in the UK because Avon was a local word for river. People weren't particularly original in naming things back in the day.

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Or my favorite, North America and South America. Directional continents named after the guy who found one of the two continents.

I thought Columbus hit both, or if not North then Central, which is still North.

But yea, hilarious. Im also partial (obviously) to the United States of America which like the 7 Kingdoms is more of a description then a name.

The Sunset Kingdoms is a dope name.

7 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

But hey, that's better than the kiwis, who simply stopped at "North Island" and... wait for it... "South Island".

Having said that though, I will admit that I was initially turned off by some of Martin's more "generic fantasy" names when I first started reading the series.  I mean, really, "Dragonstone"?  Sounds like a bad fanfic name that a 6th grader came up with.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Walda said:

Wait - does that mean her name is pronounced "Keith"? Or Keetee?

Absolutely. ;) I may be misremembering, but I think there's an SSM somewhere where he explains that the Quaithe character is based on Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones. (Or am I confusing this with Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow character in Pirates of the Carribean? I know it's one of those.)

Archived