Heresy 236 and the Musgrave Ritual

Black Crow

16 hours ago, Black Crow said:

On performance thus far Danaerys the Dragonlord has been hailed by the Red Lot as Azor Ahai, and so she might be. The Three-Fingered Tree Huggers have been waiting for Bran for a long time, and of course Jon Snow is being drawn to something cold in the woodshed. 

Why is it that Benerro and Melisande are not on the same page as far as the identity of AAR is concerned.  Benerro is bent on the idea that Dany is AAR, the savior of the world, who will bring on everlasting summer.  Melisandre must be aware that there is a Queen across the sea who has been able to wake dragons from stone.  She is bent on the idea AAR is male, the son of fire and warrior of light.  She keeps asking R'hllor to show her AAR, yet she never sees Dany:

A Dance with Dragons - Melisandre I

Skulls. A thousand skulls, and the bastard boy again. Jon Snow. Whenever she was asked what she saw within her fires, Melisandre would answer, "Much and more," but seeing was never as simple as those words suggested. It was an art, and like all arts it demanded mastery, discipline, study. Pain. That too. R'hllor spoke to his chosen ones through blessed fire, in a language of ash and cinder and twisting flame that only a god could truly grasp. Melisandre had practiced her art for years beyond count, and she had paid the price. There was no one, even in her order, who had her skill at seeing the secrets half-revealed and half-concealed within the sacred flames.

Yet now she could not even seem to find her king. I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R'hllor shows me only Snow. "Devan," she called, "a drink." Her throat was raw and parched.

Why doesn't Benerro see Jon Snow in the fires?  Who is really sending Melisandre visions of Jon Snow?  Is it Bran and Bloodraven?

A Dance with Dragons - Melisandre I

Dawn. Another day is given us, R'hllor be praised. The terrors of the night recede. Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream. Sleep is a little death, dreams the whisperings of the Other, who would drag us all into his eternal night. She would sooner sit bathed in the ruddy glow of her red lord's blessed flames, her cheeks flushed by the wash of heat as if by a lover's kisses. Some nights she drowsed, but never for more than an hour. One day, Melisandre prayed, she would not sleep at all. One day she would be free of dreams. Melony, she thought. Lot Seven.

Devan fed fresh logs to the fire until the flames leapt up again, fierce and furious, driving the shadows back into the corners of the room, devouring all her unwanted dreams. The dark recedes again … for a little while. But beyond the Wall, the enemy grows stronger, and should he win the dawn will never come again. She wondered if it had been his face that she had seen, staring out at her from the flames. No. Surely not. His visage would be more frightening than that, cold and black and too terrible for any man to gaze upon and live. The wooden man she had glimpsed, though, and the boy with the wolf's face … they were his servants, surely … his champions, as Stannis was hers.

10 hours ago, LynnS said:

Oh that's interesting. Also:

Following the thread from the ram to the horned god takes us to Gerold Hightower (the White Bull) and Jamie Lannister. The white bull was one of the forms and symbols of Zeus; the ram was also one of his forms as the syncretic Zeus-Ammon famous for being the "father" of Alexander the Great. And Jamie is the one dealing with Gordian Knots:

Knots and tangles, Jaime thought, wishing he could cut through all of it with one swift stroke of his sword

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

Following the thread from the ram to the horned god takes us to Gerold Hightower (the White Bull) and Jamie Lannister. The white bull was one of the forms and symbols of Zeus; the ram was also one of his forms as the syncretic Zeus-Ammon famous for being the "father" of Alexander the Great. And Jamie is the one dealing with Gordian Knots:

A Storm of Swords - Jon XI

And this time it would not be a ruse. To claim his father's castle, he must turn against his father's gods.

King Stannis gazed off north again, his gold cloak streaming from his shoulders. "It may be that I am mistaken in you, Jon Snow. We both know the things that are said of bastards. You may lack your father's honor, or your brother's skill in arms. But you are the weapon the Lord has given me. I have found you here, as you found the cache of dragonglass beneath the Fist, and I mean to make use of you. Even Azor Ahai did not win his war alone. I killed a thousand wildlings, took another thousand captive, and scattered the rest, but we both know they will return. Melisandre has seen that in her fires. This Tormund Thunderfist is likely re-forming them even now, and planning some new assault. And the more we bleed each other, the weaker we shall all be when the real enemy falls upon us."

14 hours ago, LynnS said:

Celtic Hawk Mythology

The hawk was a symbol of the Celtic god Bran. There are many myths about Bran throughout Britain and Ireland. He is described as a giant, a warrior-king, and a deity. As “Bran the Blessed”, he was the King of the Isle of the Mighty (Britain) and ruled from his throne in Wales. In Irish myths, Bran was the son of Febal, and traveled to the “Otherworland Islands” where he had many adventures – a tale similar to the Greek story of Jason and the Golden Fleece.

I've not come across that one before: Bran the Blessed/Bendigeidfran is the blessed crow

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

I've not come across that one before: Bran the Blessed/Bendigeidfran is the blessed crow

I found this which seems to be a mash-up of Christianity and Celtic myth:

In Irish mythology Tuan mac Cairill was a recluse who retains his memories from his previous incarnations, going back to Antediluvian age. Initially a follower of Partholon, he alone survived the plague, or the Flood,[1] that killed the rest of his people. Through a series of animal transformations he survived into Christian times, and, in conversation with St. Finnian of Moville told a brief history of himself and of Ireland from his people onward to the coming of St. Patrick.

Tuan mac Cairill - Wikipedia 

The Story of Tuan Mac Cairill - Irish Fairy Tale (kidsgen.com)

Could Tuan Mac Cairill and Fintan Mac Bochra be the same person? : IrishFolklore (reddit.com)

Bran, the Sleeping Guardian | Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids (druidry.org)

So...Azor Ahai might be a reference to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Gawain also goes by Gwalchmei ap Gwyar and the root gwalch apparently means hawk.

If Ahai is a reference to the horned god (Cernunnos, Zeus Ammon and others) then Azor Ahai is both Gawain and the Green Knight (thanks @LynnS for the celtic hint)

2 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Its a good story, but there's nothing in there to connect that particular Irish skin-changer with the Welsh Bran the Blessed Crow and the Mabinogion

I'm guessing that Martin is drawing elements from the Mabingnion as the latest incarnation of Bran.  But also taking elements from earlier myths especially since Martin referenced Noah's flood in an early SSM.**  Using the story of Tuath Mac Cairill as a tale of the First Men including skinchanging.  Bran the Blessed may be the current incarnation but the original version could be described as Bran the Beloved.  The story introduces the notion of Bran's reincarnation and rebirth; the salmon representing by House Tully.  Also the references to the new gods surplanting the old gods is consistent with the story Martin is telling.

The conclusion of the story with Tuath Mac Cairill watching over the land is not that far apart from Bran the Blessed except that he is passive; watching rather than active as a guiding voice.  Sleeping under a hill in other words and fading from memory over time.

I also like the idea the ravens the original messengers from the gods brought their messages in spirit form.  That's also consistent with our story of dreams and the 3EC. 

It's also curious that House Arryn's sigil is a hawk and crescent moon.  We literally have a weirwood throne placed in the sky at the Eyrie.  As the crow tells Bran - there are other kinds of wings.

** Since Martin refers to stories lost in time. any reference to Noah's Ark, especially one that is a different version from the original; makes me think, I should pay attention to it.

Spinning off the premise that Bran is the Prince that was Promised...

Bran first obtained the title when Robb became King in the North:

A Clash of Kings - Bran I

"Oooo," Bran cried tentatively. He cupped his hands around his mouth and lifted his head to the comet. "Ooooooooooooooooooo, ahooooooooooooooo," he howled. It sounded stupid, high and hollow and quavering, a little boy's howl, not a wolf's. Yet Summer gave answer, his deep voice drowning out Bran's thin one, and Shaggydog made it a chorus. Bran haroooed again. They howled together, last of their pack.

The noise brought a guard to his door, Hayhead with the wen on his nose. He peered in, saw Bran howling out the window, and said, "What's this, my prince?"

It made Bran feel queer when they called him prince, though he was Robb's heir, and Robb was King in the North now. He turned his head to howl at the guard. "Oooooooo. Oo-oo-oooooooooooo."

Ser Rodrick calls him prince:

A Clash of Kings - Bran II

"Why can't you marry her?" Bran asked. "You said she was comely, and Beth would have a mother."

The old knight put a hand on Bran's arm. "A kindly thought, my prince, but I am only a knight, and besides too old. I might hold her lands for a few years, but as soon as I died Lady Hornwood would find herself back in the same mire, and Beth's prospects might be perilous as well."

"Then let Lord Hornwood's bastard be the heir," Bran said, thinking of his half brother Jon.

"May I be excused?" Bran could hear the squires at their swordplay in the yard below, the ring of steel on steel.

"As you will, my prince," said Ser Rodrik. "You did well." Bran flushed with pleasure. Being a lord was not so tedious as he had feared, and since Lady Hornwood had been so much briefer than Lord Manderly, he even had a few hours of daylight left to visit with Summer. He liked to spend time with his wolf every day, when Ser Rodrik and the maester allowed it.

Osha referred to him as prince:

"No." He did not like to talk about the dreams.

"A prince should lie better than that." Osha laughed. "Well, your dreams are your business. Mine's in the kitchens, and I'd best be getting back before Gage starts to shouting and waving that big wooden spoon of his. By your leave, my prince."

Leobold used the title:

Bran knew what to say. "Thank you for the notion, my lord," he blurted out before Ser Rodrik could speak. "We will bring the matter to my brother Robb. Oh, and Lady Hornwood."

Leobald seemed surprised that he had spoken. "I'm grateful, my prince," he said, but Bran saw pity in his pale blue eyes, mingled perhaps with a little gladness that the cripple was, after all, not his son. For a moment he hated the man.

Maester Luwin liked him better, though. "Beren Tallhart may well be our best answer," he told them when Leobald had gone. "By blood he is half Hornwood. If he takes his uncle's name . . ."

Bran makes decisions as both prince and the Stark in Winterfell:

"Lady Hornwood can have one of our Freys," said Bran. "She can have both of them if she likes."

"You are not kind, my prince," Ser Rodrik chided gently.

Neither are the Walders. Scowling, Bran stared down at the table and said nothing.

And of course Meera and Jojen called him prince:

A Clash of Kings - Bran IV

Bran had never heard of a moving castle before. He looked at her uncertainly, but he couldn't tell whether she was teasing him or not. "I wish I could see it. Do you think your lord father would let me come visit when the war is over?"

"You would be most welcome, my prince. Then or now."

Bran accepts the title and calls himself prince as well as the Stark in Winterfell:

"Did you dream of a wolf?"

He was making Bran angry. "I don't have to tell you my dreams. I'm the prince. I'm the Stark in Winterfell."

"Was it Summer?"

Maester Luwin calls him prince:

The maester's turret below the rookery was one of Bran's favorite places. Luwin was hopelessly untidy, but his clutter of books and scrolls and bottles was as familiar and comforting to Bran as his bald spot and the flapping sleeves of his loose grey robes. He liked the ravens too.

He found Luwin perched on a high stool, writing. With Ser Rodrik gone, all of the governance of the castle had fallen on his shoulders. "My prince," he said when Hodor entered, "you're early for lessons today." The maester spent several hours every afternoon tutoring Bran, Rickon, and the Walder Freys.

Jojen calls him prince:

"Perhaps magic was once a mighty force in the world, but no longer. What little remains is no more than the wisp of smoke that lingers in the air after a great fire has burned out, and even that is fading. Valyria was the last ember, and Valyria is gone. The dragons are no more, the giants are dead, the children of the forest forgotten with all their lore.

"No, my prince. Jojen Reed may have had a dream or two that he believes came true, but he does not have the greensight. No living man has that power."

A Clash of Kings - Bran V

"Tell me the bad thing you dreamed," Bran said. "The bad thing that is coming to Winterfell."

"Does my lord prince believe me now? Will he trust my words, no matter how queer they sound in his ears?"

Ser Rodrick may call Bran prince, but he monitors and corrects his behavior as if he were his own son:

A Clash of Kings - Bran V

"Vows made at sword point are not valid," the maester argued.

"Roose Bolton may not agree. Not with land at issue." Ser Rodrik looked unhappy. "Would that I could take this serving man's head off as well, he's as bad as his master. But I fear I must keep him alive until Robb returns from his wars. He is the only witness to the worst of the Bastard's crimes. Perhaps when Lord Bolton hears his tale, he will abandon his claim, but meantime we have Manderly knights and Dreadfort men killing one another in Hornwood forests, and I lack the strength to stop them." The old knight turned in his seat and gave Bran a stern look. "And what have you been about while I've been away, my lord prince? Commanding our guardsmen not to wash? Do you want them smelling like this Reek, is that it?"

Bran claims Summer is a prince too:

A Storm of Swords - Bran I

"And who is Summer?" Jojen prompted.

"My direwolf." He smiled. "Prince of the green."

"Bran the boy and Summer the wolf. You are two, then?"

Meera informs Bran that they will do as he says:

A Storm of Swords - Bran I

"The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. To me the gods gave the green dreams, and to you . . . you could be more than me, Bran. You are the winged wolf, and there is no saying how far and high you might fly . . . if you had someone to teach you. How can I help you master a gift I do not understand? We remember the First Men in the Neck, and the children of the forest who were their friends . . . but so much is forgotten, and so much we never knew."

Meera took Bran by the hand. "If we stay here, troubling no one, you'll be safe until the war ends. You will not learn, though, except what my brother can teach you, and you've heard what he says. If we leave this place to seek refuge at Last Hearth or beyond the Wall, we risk being taken. You are only a boy, I know, but you are our prince as well, our lord's son and our king's true heir. We have sworn you our faith by earth and water, bronze and iron, ice and fire. The risk is yours, Bran, as is the gift. The choice should be yours too, I think. We are your servants to command." She grinned. "At least in this."

"You mean," Bran said, "you'll do what I say? Truly?"

"Truly, my prince," the girl replied, "so consider well."

That last passage suggests that Meera considers Bran gifted and that learning about his gifts is part of the knowledge that Winterfell had forgotten.

I'll leave off with the "prince('s)" pass(ages), because you get the gist! I might point out, however that Theon is also named prince several times.

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

So...Azor Ahai might be a direct reference to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Gawain also goes by Gwalchmei ap Gwyar and the root Gwalch apparently means hawk.

If Ahai is a reference to the horned god (Cernunnos, Zeus Ammon and others) then Azor Ahai is both Gawain and the Green Knight

Well I think the Galladon of Morn story is one story about the new heroes and Azor Ahai is a story of another hero.  That it won't be a story about one hero, but several.. AA might be the red sword of the group; the white sword another.

The story of the forging of Lightbringer  could be symbolic of how that sword or warrior is being forged among the current bunch of heroes.

The first forging caused the blade to shatter.  The steel is brittle just as Donal Noye describes Stannis.  The forging is a failure.

The second forging in the heart of a lion, causes the blade to shatter and split in two.  The sword is stronger but it is broken into two parts.  I think this describes Jaime and Brienne.  We are talking about the sword Ice

The last forging in the heart of fire seems to be Melisandre's ultimate purpose with herself in the role of Nissa Nissa.  Stannis' statement that AA didn't fight the war alone gives us a little more insight into the idea that there is more than one hero and AA is one among them.  It also explains why she says that the Wall and the battle belong to her as much as it does Jon.  The forging of the last sword wasn't accomplished by AA alone, Nissa Nissa had a part to play.

If it takes two to forge the sword and Jon is meant to become the weapon;  Does Bran have a part to play along with Melisandre.  So will, is it Jon be who drinks from both the cup of ice and the cup of fire? You could also consider that Jon's assassination makes him a sword that has been split in two   He has to be reforged/reborn amidst salt (tears) and smoke (smoking wound).

A Dance with Dragons - Jon XIII

Then Bowen Marsh stood there before him, tears running down his cheeks. "For the Watch." He punched Jon in the belly. When he pulled his hand away, the dagger stayed where he had buried it.

Jon fell to his knees. He found the dagger's hilt and wrenched it free. In the cold night air the wound was smoking. "Ghost," he whispered. Pain washed over him. Stick them with the pointy end. When the third dagger took him between the shoulder blades, he gave a grunt and fell face-first into the snow. He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold …

Why does Melisandre think that AA will be reborn in Westeros and why does she focus on the Baratheons and their bloodline.  They also represent the Horned Lord with a fiery heart.  

Aemon surmises that it's because their grandmother was Targaryen.  So we are back to the TWIP prophesy. 

17 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

Spinning off the premise that Bran is the Prince that was Promised...

Bran first obtained the title when Robb became King in the North:

Ser Rodrick calls him prince:

Osha referred to him as prince:

Leobold used the title:

Bran makes decisions as both prince and the Stark in Winterfell:

And of course Meera and Jojen called him prince:

Bran accepts the title and calls himself prince as well as the Stark in Winterfell:

Maester Luwin calls him prince:

Jojen calls him prince:

Ser Rodrick may call Bran prince, but he monitors and corrects his behavior as if he were his own son:

Bran claims Summer is a prince too:

Meera informs Bran that they will do as he says:

That last passage suggests that Meera considers Bran gifted and that learning about his gifts is part of the knowledge that Winterfell had forgotten.

I'll leave off with the "prince('s)" pass(ages), because you get the gist! I might point out, however that Theon is also named prince several times.

ASOS Bran I has that fight between the Prince of the green and a pack of wolves

Prince. The man-sound came into his head suddenly, yet he could feel the rightness of it. Prince of the green, prince of the wolfswood. He was strong and swift and fierce, and all that lived in the good green world went in fear of him.

<...>

He could not smell them, nor hear their howls by night, yet he felt their presence at his back . . . all but the sister they had lost. His tail drooped when he remembered her. Four now, not five. Four and one more, the white who has no voice.

These woods belonged to them, the snowy slopes and stony hills, the great green pines and the golden leaf oaks, the rushing streams and blue lakes fringed with fingers of white frost. But his sister had left the wilds, to walk in the halls of man-rock where other hunters ruled, and once within those halls it was hard to find the path back out. The wolf prince remembered.

The Starks that leave the wild are lost :-).

Long they fought, rolling together over roots and stones and fallen leaves and the scattered entrails of the prey, tearing at each other with tooth and claw, breaking apart, circling each round the other, and bolting in to fight again. The prince was larger, and much the stronger, but his cousin had a pack. The female prowled around them closely, snuffing and snarling, and would interpose herself whenever her mate broke off bloodied. From time to time the other wolves would dart in as well, to snap at a leg or an ear when the prince was turned the other way. One angered him so much that he whirled in a black fury and tore out the attacker’s throat. After that the others kept their distance.

And as the last red light was filtering through green boughs and golden, the old wolf lay down weary in the dirt, and rolled over to expose his throat and belly. It was submission.

1 hour ago, Tucu said:

So...Azor Ahai might be a reference to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Gawain also goes by Gwalchmei ap Gwyar and the root gwalch apparently means hawk.

If Ahai is a reference to the horned god (Cernunnos, Zeus Ammon and others) then Azor Ahai is both Gawain and the Green Knight (thanks @LynnS for the celtic hint)

Mance's tent is crowned with antler of giant elk and Coldhands rides an elk. Val also talks about the Horned Lord who warns about magic as a sword without a hilt.  Which sounds like a reference to the white walkers.  

21 minutes ago, Tucu said:

Long they fought, rolling together over roots and stones and fallen leaves and the scattered entrails of the prey, tearing at each other with tooth and claw, breaking apart, circling each round the other, and bolting in to fight again. The prince was larger, and much the stronger, but his cousin had a pack. The female prowled around them closely, snuffing and snarling, and would interpose herself whenever her mate broke off bloodied. From time to time the other wolves would dart in as well, to snap at a leg or an ear when the prince was turned the other way. One angered him so much that he whirled in a black fury and tore out the attacker’s throat. After that the others kept their distance.

And as the last red light was filtering through green boughs and golden, the old wolf lay down weary in the dirt, and rolled over to expose his throat and belly. It was submission.

This passage has me wondering...

The direwolf Summer (Bran) is the prince of the green, whereas the "cousin" is a wolf - not sure if Timberwolf or grey wolf or whatever wolf, but a smaller wolf just the same. Is this wolf-fight symbolic of a fight - past or future - between Bran and one of his "cousins"? The "cousin" doesn't necessarily have to be a blood relation, just a less powerful skinchanger or maybe even greenseer. My first thought goes to Euron.

16 minutes ago, Tucu said:

ASOS Bran I has that fight between the Prince of the green and a pack of wolves

The Starks that leave the wild are lost :-).

I agree.  Everything points to Bran as the prince who is promised ... to the COTF.  It certainly muddies the waters if we assume that there is only one PWIP.  It doesn't exclude Dany as TPWIP promised to the Targaryens.  The comet and the dragons prove the prophecy according to Aemon.  There seem to be a lot of similarities between Bran and Dany.  Learning to fly is one of them.

The problem as I see it is that the prophecy of the PWP and AA have been cludged together when they look to me like separate but related prophecies.  One prophecy, TPWP (the birth of dragons) heralds the coming of the other, AAR (the warrior of light).

There doesn't seem to be a specific prophesy about Bran but for the fact that the COTF have been waiting for his arrival for 200 years.

1 hour ago, Melifeather said:

Yep.  These are the two northern princes from what I gather.  And if both end up joining the weirnet, Bran as a greenseer, and Theon as a sacrifice, then they may be linked together there as well.

My suspicion is that we're going to have parallel situations North and South.  Weirwood and dragon.  Ice and Fire.

I've talked about my suspicions before that another Prince character, Quentyn, soul/consciousness may have transferred into one of Dany's dragons.  And if Dany perhaps joins him, then we keep getting repeating parallels.

Bran/Theon's consciousness into the weirwoods and Dany/Quntyn's consciousness into the dragons.

10 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I agree.  Everything points to Bran as the prince who is promised ... to the COTF.  It certainly muddies the waters if we assume that there is only one PWIP.  It doesn't exclude Dany as TPWIP promised to the Targaryens.  The comet and the dragons prove the prophecy according to Aemon.  There seem to be a lot of similarities between Bran and Dany.  Learning to fly is one of them.

The problem as I see it is that the prophecy of the PWP and AA have been cludged together when they look to me like separate but related prophecies.  One prophecy, TPWP (the birth of dragons) heralds the coming of the other, AAR (the warrior of light).

There doesn't seem to be a specific prophesy about Bran but for the fact that the COTF have been waiting for his arrival for 200 years.

Even if TPTWP prophecy didn't originate from Westeros, it still may have a parallel to the COTF's waiting for Bran's arrival.  Consider that Azor Ahai reborn is a prophecy out of Asshai yet it still seems to relate to a battle over the Long Night.  My suspicion is that TPTWP prophecy may have it's roots in the destruction of the Rhoynish empire (which is why the prophecy may be a thousand years old per Aemon), but it also deals with a battle for the Long Night.  So it wouldn't suprise me if Westeros has it's own messianic figure.  Perhaps to battle against the messiah of fire, or perhaps to join him/her.

2 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Even if TPTWP prophecy didn't originate from Westeros, it still may have a parallel to the COTF's waiting for Bran's arrival.  Consider that Azor Ahai reborn is a prophecy out of Asshai yet it still seems to relate to a battle over the Long Night.  My suspicion is that TPTWP prophecy may have it's roots in the destruction of the Rhoynish empire (which is why the prophecy may be a thousand years old per Aemon), but it also deals with a battle for the Long Night.  So it wouldn't suprise me if Westeros has it's own messianic figure.  Perhaps to battle against the messiah of fire, or perhaps to join him.

Agree completely.  There is a symmetry or an attempt to maintain a balance between opposing elements.  Also thanks for the original idea that Jon is a broken sword.  That has stuck with me for a long time.

9 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Yep.  These are the two northern princes from what I gather.  And if both end up joining the weirnet, Bran as a greenseer, and Theon as a sacrifice, then they may be joined together there as well.

There was interesting idea on the General forum that Theon may become Bran's prophet,  I sure hope so! :D

14 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

This passage has me wondering...

The direwolf Summer (Bran) is the prince of the green, whereas the "cousin" is a wolf - not sure if Timberwolf or grey wolf or whatever wolf, but a smaller wolf just the same. Is this wolf-fight symbolic of a fight - past or future - between Bran and one of his "cousins"? The "cousin" doesn't necessarily have to be a blood relation, just a less powerful skinchanger or maybe even greenseer. My first thought goes to Euron.

I was thinking something along those lines. The first that come to mind is Bloodraven as the Blackwoods ruled the Wolfwood in ancient times. It could also be Jon (if he is Bran's cousin), or Harry the Heir and Sansa (Harry is Waynwood on his mother's side and they are some of the "lordlings from the Vale" mentioned by Catelyn)

I think I mentioned before that Mel's vision of hardhome has Stark on Stark undertones (grey ash and white snow dancing):

Snowflakes swirled from a dark sky and ashes rose to meet them, the grey and the white whirling around each other as flaming arrows arced above a wooden wall and dead things shambled silent through the cold, beneath a great grey cliff where fires burned inside a hundred caves. Then the wind rose and the white mist came sweeping in, impossibly cold, and one by one the fires went out. Afterward only the skulls remained

18 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Prophecies are tricky, specially half remembered ones:

we tremble on the cusp of half-remembered prophecies, of wonders and terrors that no man now living could hope to comprehend . . . or . . .

And as you mentioned, Mel (and others) might have fused PWP and AA into something unrecognizable.

6 minutes ago, Tucu said:

The first that come to mind is Bloodraven as the Blackwoods ruled the Wolfwood in ancient times.

Its been suggested around these here parts that Bran may want to break free of his weirwood throne in future and perhaps he will need to fight Bloodraven and the Children in order to leave? Symbolically Bloodraven is the old wolf with the Children as his pack.

Archived