Sign in to follow this  
Nami

The worst casting

So which do you think was the worst, absolute worst casting choice in the show?

Honesly, I despised that "Rhaegar". I wish he had remained mysterious and we could have ended the show without having a single clue of what he looked like instead of getting that marriage scene.

You can criticize the show all day and maybe some casting choices weren't perfect but for the large part the show had an amazingly talented cast. Unfortunately they can only be as good as the material they're given to work with.

On 6/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, Nami said:

So which do you think was the worst, absolute worst casting choice in the show?

I stopped watching in season 5 so I don't know about any new cast members are that, but from the first five seasons, the worst one, in my opinion, would possibly be Lena Heady. I know this is probably a controversial take, but I just never really saw her as being Cersei. Not only is she not even close to being "the most beautiful woman in the world" as the books describe her, and even the show at one point, but I also think the actress didn't have the right type of energy and attitude - a lot of that might be down to the writing and directing, granted, but I always thought that Heady kept delivering lines with far too little energy or charisma. Most of her dialogue comes across as excessively subdued and monotonous, whereas in the books Cersei is a very emotionally unstable and expressive character. I just don't think Heady's performance imbued enough of that charisma and expressiveness as befitting Cersei. She seemed to mostly just be bored, in her expressions and her line delivery.

As much as I think the casting was one of the things in the show (along with the music) that was consistently great throughout, I agree that they could have cast someone with more presence as Rhaegar; even with him only being in it for a few seconds, considering how much the character is talked about and how much influence he has in spirit, they could have put more effort into that one.