The worst casting

Nami

So which do you think was the worst, absolute worst casting choice in the show?

Honesly, I despised that "Rhaegar". I wish he had remained mysterious and we could have ended the show without having a single clue of what he looked like instead of getting that marriage scene.

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2021 at 11:55 AM, Nami said:

So which do you think was the worst, absolute worst casting choice in the show?

I stopped watching in season 5 so I don't know about any new cast members are that, but from the first five seasons, the worst one, in my opinion, would possibly be Lena Heady. I know this is probably a controversial take, but I just never really saw her as being Cersei. Not only is she not even close to being "the most beautiful woman in the world" as the books describe her, and even the show at one point, but I also think the actress didn't have the right type of energy and attitude - a lot of that might be down to the writing and directing, granted, but I always thought that Heady kept delivering lines with far too little energy or charisma. Most of her dialogue comes across as excessively subdued and monotonous, whereas in the books Cersei is a very emotionally unstable and expressive character. I just don't think Heady's performance imbued enough of that charisma and expressiveness as befitting Cersei. She seemed to mostly just be bored, in her expressions and her line delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I think the casting was one of the things in the show (along with the music) that was consistently great throughout, I agree that they could have cast someone with more presence as Rhaegar; even with him only being in it for a few seconds, considering how much the character is talked about and how much influence he has in spirit, they could have put more effort into that one.

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

And the legendary swordsman who owns the legendary sword uses it in duet with another sword and delivers a completely irrelevant juggling act!

I have problem with that whole scene! what were those armors they gave the three kingsgaurd? and with black underneath them? not to mention the cruel omission of white cloaks!

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I have problem with that whole scene! what were those armors they gave the three kingsgaurd? and with black underneath them? not to mention the cruel omission of white cloaks!

GoT always had very shitty armor and kits (Just look at the Lannisters, for example). Past Season 4, it seems like we had zero actual plate armor kits. Which is understandable, cost and all, but if LotR can do it, then so can GoT. 

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

GoT always had very shitty armor and kits (Just look at the Lannisters, for example). Past Season 4, it seems like we had zero actual plate armor kits. Which is understandable, cost and all, but if LotR can do it, then so can GoT. 

I honestly didn't expect too much from them, I know these things are way too costly for TV and that they didn't have their budget boost till season 6. I'm not comparing GoT with any movie franchise. but you just need to compare their costumes with Barristan and Jaimie's armors back in season 1which were splendid as far as armors go...  then there is Arthur and co! these are the legendary "white" kingsgaurds for gods sake! they don't wear dirty simple gray armors with black clothing underneath without any cloaks.. it's as if they were mistaken with men at arms! 

p.s. speaking of Barry and Jaimie's armors .. have you noticed what seemed to be dragon scale pattern on their arms? am I mistaken in this? GoT got lots of costumes and sigils right on spot.. this seemed weird to me.

On 12/31/2021 at 3:25 PM, EggBlue said:

p.s. speaking of Barry and Jaimie's armors .. have you noticed what seemed to be dragon scale pattern on their arms? am I mistaken in this? GoT got lots of costumes and sigils right on spot.. this seemed weird to me.

That's scale armor, on their pauldrons. 

5 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That's scale armor, on their pauldrons. 

don't they usually come with a round shape on their end? Barristan's were pointy on their end (like diamond shapes) .. that's why I thought it might be associated with dragons and Aegon I ...:dunno:

3 hours ago, EggBlue said:

don't they usually come with a round shape on their end? Barristan's were pointy on their end (like diamond shapes) .. that's why I thought it might be associated with dragons and Aegon I ...:dunno:

The problem with their scale armor wasn't the shape (it might be, IDK) but that the scales didn't lay down flat. You want them to lay down flat, or unless someone's going to exploit those big gaps. Just look a scale armor shirt on Wikipedia, you'll see what I mean. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably not gonna be a popular opinion but I just hate Emilia Clarke in this, and I think she is a great actress but I don't think it was a good fit for GoT.

As I said, that is just my opinion, but I understand it's not gonna be too popular.

I wish they had casted someone like Emily Blunt

7 hours ago, thegoldbering said:

This is probably not gonna be a popular opinion but I just hate Emilia Clarke in this, and I think she is a great actress but I don't think it was a good fit for GoT.

Why is that? What did she do wrong? (I think she did a great job, but I'm curious as to why you don't like her). 

I loved Emilia as Dany from the beginning to the end. however, I must admit , after reading the books I thought show-Dany had failed to portray the softer and more insecure aspects of book-Dany after season 1,whilst boosted her tougher aspects. this especially occurred in season 4(and 5?) during her relationship with Daario , Hizdahar and Mereen in general. I don't think that was a problem with Clark's performance rather it was a combination of 2 things: a)writers choice of having a "strong"er female in Dany (I believe book-Dany is strong too but just a little different way than show) b) inabilities of a different media. 

8 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I loved Emilia as Dany from the beginning to the end. however, I must admit , after reading the books I thought show-Dany had failed to portray the softer and more insecure aspects of book-Dany after season 1,whilst boosted her tougher aspects. this especially occurred in season 4(and 5?) during her relationship with Daario , Hizdahar and Mereen in general. I don't think that was a problem with Clark's performance rather it was a combination of 2 things: a)writers choice of having a "strong"er female in Dany (I believe book-Dany is strong too but just a little different way than show) b) inabilities of a different media. 

Mostly agree, although I didn’t love her acting S4-7 (I blame D&D) but I was actually impressed with her in the final season. Stupid as the writing was, if you ignore everything but her face you can buy it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:15 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

Why is that? What did she do wrong? (I think she did a great job, but I'm curious as to why you don't like her). 

Again, this is my opinion: In general her face expressions don't transmit to me what her persona was supposed to do. At a moment I feel like she doesn't have the range for a serious (traumatized) role and she (the actress) is trying not to burst in laugh.. and at other moments I feel like she's trying to compensate this and makes faces that are too serious that appear to be fake. I think she's good, but her range wasn't a good fit for GOT... "Me before you" would be a good example of what I think is her zone, a movie with a sad-serious plot but in a romantic comedy environment. I think something like Emily Blunt in "The edge for tomorrow" was more accordingly in GOT.

Of course this is just one scene, but this is what I mean with her facial expressions not fitting this role, you can see in her macro expressions that she's :laugh:

https://i.imgur.com/IOsS3WP.png

Archived