The worst casting

Nami

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's interesting to note that apparently Emilia Clarke was told during the first couple of seasons to stop "emoting" so much they wanted her emotions to be harder to read. I think the problem wasn't with Emilia herself but rather casting someone in a role and keeping them in the dark about where it would lead. They didn't even tell her there was nudity required until they offered her the role. The worst casting for me was clearly Gregor Clegane, swapping actors so many times ruined the character and Clegane bowl for me.  Mark Addy playing Robert Baratheon was ridiculous didn't match the book description at all although he did put in a good performance he just wasn't formidable or frankly good looking enough for the role. Robert's looks were part of the story it was part of the reason nobody doubted that Lyanna Stark was kidnapped. Dishonorable mentions for the second Daario Naharis Michiel Huisman he was just dreadful. Ed Skrein was far better and at least fit the general idea of what the book character was supposed to be. Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy was horrendous but the writing on the show was a huge factor in that. The show from the start had far more success stories in terms of casting than failures I will give it that much.

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 6:13 PM, darksellsword said:

I think it's interesting to note that apparently Emilia Clarke was told during the first couple of seasons to stop "emoting" so much they wanted her emotions to be harder to read. I think the problem wasn't with Emilia herself but rather casting someone in a role and keeping them in the dark about where it would lead. They didn't even tell her there was nudity required until they offered her the role. The worst casting for me was clearly Gregor Clegane, swapping actors so many times ruined the character and Clegane bowl for me.  Mark Addy playing Robert Baratheon was ridiculous didn't match the book description at all although he did put in a good performance he just wasn't formidable or frankly good looking enough for the role. Robert's looks were part of the story it was part of the reason nobody doubted that Lyanna Stark was kidnapped. Dishonorable mentions for the second Daario Naharis Michiel Huisman he was just dreadful. Ed Skrein was far better and at least fit the general idea of what the book character was supposed to be. Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy was horrendous but the writing on the show was a huge factor in that. The show from the start had far more success stories in terms of casting than failures I will give it that much.

Ohhh didn't know that... so they did notice and let her know........... Didn't know also that they casted her and didn't tell her up front her role clearly and nude scenes :o..................... I wonder if they did that bc some strategy or simply negligence.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't care much for either actor that played The Mountain after season 1. The first guy really looked and felt like Gregor. And while he is a great actor, I didn't think Ciaran Hinds was a great choice for Mance Rayder. Also felt like Gethin Anthony wasn't ideal for Renly, though his acting was good. 

Richard Madden looks too old compared to Kit Harrington, and I really disliked his acting.

Asha was supposed to be special. I liked Gemma Whelan's characterization butit's really far from the weird beauty of book-Asha.

Emilia Clarke : boring (but i like the actress)

Pilou Asbaek : i think he didn't read the books and was asked to make of Euron a kind of horny rockstar by D&D - which he did alright. He was supposed to be the scarier villain in the show's late seasons, which he failed to be. He was only a fool.

About Mance/Ciaran Hinds, very good characterization but a little bit old for me.

Renly / Gethin Anthony : too transparent, not beautiful, not "Robert v2.0" enough

The other point is past the deaths of Tywin, Roose, Alliser and all the old guys, there were only junior characters, free-wheeling middle aged ones (Bronn...) and the last remaining veterans (Anton Lesser, David Bradley, Rupert von Sittard (how can you underuse such an actor ?), Roger Ashton-Griffith, the guy who plays Kevan, Liam Cunningham or even Conleth Hill - Olenna is the exception, and probably the first appearance of James Faulkner too) had too little to say - no big dialogues, only jokes or flat lines - made the show's last seasons look like a tele-novela. But it's bad writing rather than bad acting/casting.

• 3 months later...

There's a few I'd say that were bad choices. 

First off, Cersei was a miscast. Lena Heady doesn't have the beauty that Cersei should have.

Renly was a misstep as well. He was described as "Robert come again", and this isn't the actors fault, but they really did Renly dirty in the show. He isn't a flouncy wimp like he is portrayed.

Mance Rayder was too old. He should be young and strong enough to defeat the clan leaders beyond the wall, defeat Jon Snow at a practice duel, and climb the wall by himself. The actor didn't look like he could do any of those things. The wildlings follow power after all.  

Euron Greyjoy as he is basically a different character as how he is described in appearance. 

I'm gonna say all the Greyjoys as well. Theon "Yarra / Asha" Euron, and Balon don't look at all as to how they are described in the books. 

Also I never really warmed to Emilia Clarke as Danaerys, her acting felt like she was holding back. May have been the direction, but I don't think her looks are right as well for a Targaryen. 

I'm trying not to nit-pick. 

On 10/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, WhatAnArtist! said:

I stopped watching in season 5 so I don't know about any new cast members are that, but from the first five seasons, the worst one, in my opinion, would possibly be Lena Heady. I know this is probably a controversial take, but I just never really saw her as being Cersei. Not only is she not even close to being "the most beautiful woman in the world" as the books describe her, and even the show at one point, but I also think the actress didn't have the right type of energy and attitude - a lot of that might be down to the writing and directing, granted, but I always thought that Heady kept delivering lines with far too little energy or charisma. Most of her dialogue comes across as excessively subdued and monotonous, whereas in the books Cersei is a very emotionally unstable and expressive character. I just don't think Heady's performance imbued enough of that charisma and expressiveness as befitting Cersei. She seemed to mostly just be bored, in her expressions and her line delivery.

I feel like quibbling over Hollywood beauty standards is a poor choice when most of the world would crawl through broken glass to date most of the women on the show, let alone Lena Headey, though I can understand if she doesn't do it for you.

Yara is a totally different character than Asha Greyjoy. So I can't really talk about the actresses' handling of the material.

19 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I feel like quibbling over Hollywood beauty standards is a poor choice when most of the world would crawl through broken glass to date most of the women on the show, let alone Lena Headey, though I can understand if she doesn't do it for you.

Half the women in the books are described as the most beautiful woman in the world, so I don't think that's a good argument.

6 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Half the women in the books are described as the most beautiful woman in the world, so I don't think that's a good argument.

I mean my point is that all of the women of the show are incredibly lovely because it's Hollywood.

Archived