How powerful/rich was house Darry before Robert rebellion?

Mrstrategy

On 7/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

Not sure how you can separate the Vances tbh. They were both powerful enough to be noted supporting a Targ faction during the dance. The world book or F&B noted that the Vances were more or less on par with 1B but didn't differentiate between the two:

“The Brackens, the Blackwoods, and the Vances all ruled wider domains and could field much larger armies, as could the upstart Freys of the Twins.”

Agreed on the Freys being top tier of RL strength. 

Admittedly somewhat of an educated guess on my part.  One of the branches is likely to be the senior branch started by Armistead Vance.  My reading of the story is that the Smallwoods are bannerman to the Wayfarer's Rest branch, and based on commands/trust seemingly placed in Karyl/his father (defending initial incursions), I think it's likely They are of slightly higher station/influence.   I tier that at 1A based on my memory of a passage that the Tully's actually can field few men/less power than House Vance.   

I'll grant, I could be misremembering some passages, and also, as I previously stated, I think 1A & 1B are very close/the top 7-9 River Lords seem to be less 'stratified' than the Lords in other regions.  

23 hours ago, Wunjō said:

I agree, but I find it weird that the major rivers in southern Dorne are not major hubs of agriculture or trade. 

Isn't there a mention in one of the chapters that the Greenblood significantly dries up/is not much more than a trickle during the Summer?  The impression I got was that it likely isn't navigable by ships of any significance throughout the seasons.  And if The Greenblood is the largest/most significant, the others are probably similar.  That would make it difficult to use them as a highway type system allowing trade to flourish

2 minutes ago, Lord of Brewtown said:

Isn't there a mention in one of the chapters that the Greenblood significantly dries up/is not much more than a trickle during the Summer?  The impression I got was that it likely isn't navigable by ships of any significance throughout the seasons.  And if The Greenblood is the largest/most significant, the others are probably similar.  That would make it difficult to use them as a highway type system allowing trade to flourish

Oh yea, you are right, it is shallow.

Archived